Entertaining Guests With Pets

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by blindpup10, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

blindpup10,

If not for this thread I wouldn't have thought about my expectations with pets/pet owners. IMO, Petiquette should be formed around the type of guest and the kind of pet one owns.

I hope pets other than dogs and cats count here. For me, dogs and cats are adorable from a distance. Like distance*1000 or more. I will not step into a house that pets spiders, chameleons, lizards or anything weird. In case I do, I will quickly exit from the place. Hamsters are OK as long as they are in the cage. Goldfish is fine too.

There was a time I was seriously considering getting a dog. But I came to know about gum disease in dogs and it turned me off completely. Same with fleas in cats. However groomed or vaccinated the pet is, I will not be OK with it licking me or expecting me to pet it.

If I visit someone with pets, I will tell them that I am afraid of pets. What I can do is keep my visit short in the house, but will not make an effort in getting to know the pet. I am OK with listening to stories about the pet and host, but one on one interaction with the pet is a no. Its the host's responsibility to inform guests if they have a pet. It is shocking to encounter a pet when you are already in the house and you are unaware of its presence. It is extremely annoying when you see one pet uninformed and the owner just stands and smiles at your reaction. I will not bother talking to that person well again.

Sharing something served to guests with pets is not ok. Its not ok for cats trying to take food/toys from kid's hands. Dogs barking at something that irk them should be calmed down immediately. Making jokes at that moment or trying to explain the pet's behaviour instead of correcting pets is unacceptable.

Petting them and serving food without washing hands, letting them get on top of the tables or furniture when guests are around, even shaking hands after touching pets should be avoided. Untrained pets should be restricted. Say a pet is being trained and it poops in the house when guests are around, it kind of makes everyone uncomfy.

Something a pet owner finds cute about the pet may be very fearful to the guest. Like a grumpy cat is so cute for the owner but the guest is scared if its going to jump on them angrily at any moment.

My biggest pet peeve about pets is their lack/level of hygiene and their unpredictable behaviour. Everything is workable, as long as the pet owner understands the guest's feelings about the pet.

Paulina, dnormx01, sbonigala and 2 others like this.
  2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

OP, I am literally frightened of dogs - cynophobic. I am scared to pass by one during walks even if its on leash. I go to one friend's house who has a pet but before entering i make sure it is in its den. They know my fear and so make me feel at home otherwise I wouldn't go !

@Amica remembering your snippet here ...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Amica likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sharing a story but just for laughs.

We had a traditional arranged marriage. We didn't interact much prior to getting married.

I did ask my then fiancé if pets were ok. His exact words were "I don't have any aversion to pets but don't have any love for them either". I didn't know that translated to "I hate all pets and can't be in the same room with them".

After marriage on our suhaag raat, my cat as usual gets in bed with me.

Should have seen my brand new hubby's reaction. I'll never forget my cat running out and never coming back home again.

Over the years, we've gone from him hating animals to him tolerating from a distance to now maybe giving our neighbor's dog a pat when he comes looking for me.

I'm looking for tips as to how to manage a hubby who still won't let me a pet lover have a pet. Any ideas?

blindpup10 likes this.
  4. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Good question MIL and my mom were ok. My MIL is a bit orthodoxy and was surprised here and there with our cat's activities and how we engage with our cat... but she didnt mind dog being next to her.

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  5. blindpup10

Aww..your DH is improving :clap2::clap2:.

Laks09 likes this.
  6. blindpup10

Thought much-needed thread... after seeing more than few responses saying non-animal lovers find it hard.

Hahaha, yes this is absolutely true that smell emotions.. and no guest shouldn't be asked not to wish away fear. It's more appropriate for the host to tell the guest about pets and ask them if guest are ok in the same living space.. This has to be discussed before guest and host start making plans.

Yes, not cool. Guest shouldn't put you on spot.
    Yes yes pets are babies.. again no host shouldn't expect the guest to treat pets in the fashion as they themselves treat.

Eeewww people do that?

good one

ideally, if the guest is not ok with a dog in the same living space it is ideal for the guest and the host for the dog to be in the yard.

Awww a small tiger. Yes yes cats are small cute tigers. But again.. I think its not appropriate to be asked why you dont like cats or dogs:nono: All should matter is you are not ok. Thats that.

7. blindpup10

Dogs in public have to be leashed. Its not ok to have an unleashed dog in and around the neighborhood park or in public. Unleashed dogs have a specific dog park, where the dogs run around without being on a leash and causing harm to passersby.

Yes, a good trained dog don't paw or jump on people. The owner of the dog should be able to control the dog before it startles the guest. If the host is well aware of the dog's behavior and doesn't control it. Its not ok.

Have you made an effort to tell the host that the dog jumps on you and you dont feel comfortable with that?

8. blindpup10

Aww yes, one of my friend has told me that the cold dog's nose makes her uncomfortable... Better solution is not to have pets around during the visits.
    Dogs, see that you are petting them and showing love by licking or nose budging is more or less pets saying thank you or pett me some more.

9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

One would think so..but what I see is most neighborhood parks and school play grounds on weekends end up being dog parks.
    :BangHead:
    I don't think any host needs reminding that people don't like animals or people jumping on them. If they do thats pretty much the end of my visits..hints are moot at that point.

dnormx01 and Rihana like this.
  10. blindpup10

Not cool. Can you complain to the HOA? Because these things are taken pretty seriously.

Aww no. Maybe subtly indicating that its making you uncomfortable ?
    If it's just jumping I think you should be able to tell them.
    Yes large dogs, should be controlled not to do paw or jump.