1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Entaro Mahanubavulu (So many great people)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by RamyaMusic, Oct 10, 2015.

1. RamyaMusic

RamyaMusic Silver IL'ite

Most of us might know "Saint Thyagaraja", an ardent devotee of Lord Rama, one who has composed thousands of kritis/songs. The episode that I am going to narrate is his Definition on Greatness in the telugu kriti "Entaro Mahanubavulu".

Saint Thyagaraja was living in Thiruvarur. He, along with his disciples , was worshiping Lord Rama and singing songs praising him. One fine day, a court Vidwan named "Pallavi Duraisami Iyer" came to Thiruvarur to visit his daughter, who stayed next to Thyagarajs's house. He was an established singer in the king's court and was beaming with pride. When his daughter told him the greatness and simplicity of Thyagaraja and glorified him, he couldn't digest it. He thought Thyagaraja is just another poor singer, who sings to make a living.

Thyagaraja's disciples got to know of this, and conveyed the same to Thyagaraja. He immediately started singing a song "Kshade buddhi manura" - "Leave these wordly thoughts and only think of Lord Rama". The technical beauty of the song humbled Pallavi Duraisami Iyer who was hearing it from his daughter's house. He couldn't get the nuances of the song. He came to Thyagarajs's home enthralled by the brilliance in composition and to learn the song along with his disciples.

He went back to the court the next day. His mind was so pre-occupied with the song that he didn't respond when the king asked him about his trip. The King got angry. Then Duraisami Iyer explained the king about Thyagaraja. The king, who was a great artist himself, decided to call Thyagaraja to the court. But Thyagaraja sings to no mortals. So the king decides to disguise himself as a minister and visit Thyagaraja along with his other ministers.

They all go to Thayagaraja's house. He was performing Rama Pooja. His brother Jalpesan invited them all and took a note on each of their introductions. One said "I was given a golden chain with a lotus pendent studded with diamonds by the king for my musical genius". Other said "I was presented with 8 forests for I could sing in 8 octaves". Similarly each one introduced. Jalpesan conveyed all these to Thyagaraja after his Pooja.

Thayagaraja came and started singing this song "Entaro Mahanubavulu Antariki Vandanamu" meaning "There are so many great people and I bow to them all". He goes on and says "One who submits his Hridaya Kamalam (Lotus like heart) on the feet of Lord is great and there are so many such great people and I bow to them all. (Saraguna padhamulaku swanthamanu sarojamunu samarpanamu seyuvaru entaro...) Indirectly he said lotus pendent is of no use. He goes on saying "One who stops wandering in the forest called mind and places Lord Rama there is great and there are so many such great people and I bow to them all. (Manasa vana sancharamu nilipi murthy baguga pokatanevaru entaro..) Indirectly he said 8 forests is of no use.

Finally he goes on to say "One who says Rama Nama with love, one who is dipped in Rama Bhakthi and one who has truly surrendered himself to Lord Rama is great and there are so many such great people and I bow to them all. " (Preamamu ..)

His simplicity, Bhakthi, immediate response with a song that has great lyrical quality, musical greatness and Bhava cannot be explained in words. For him Bhakthi is greatness and nothing else really mattered.

Entaro Mahanubavulu Antariki Vandanamu - My humble pranams.

4 people like this.

2. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Title of this thread reminds me of an incident.. I was doing my MTech and was visiting trivandrum.. there was a cultural program in a palace and a singer started to sing this song.. as soon as he started this song, I stood up and was walking away(it was a small group, may be 40-50 people).. seeing me walking away from the concert, the singer stopped and asked me "Is something wrong with the way I am singing".. I said YES.. you are pronouncing Tyagayya's words all wrong.. stunned by my reply, the singer abandoned this song and started other song...

Later some one at the gate told me that the singer belongs to Travancore royal family.. I said so F what.. first ask him to pronounce properly, then he can sing..

I have big beef when some singers mis-pronounce words or add/substract syllables. For crying out loud its mahanaubhavulu not maganubhhhavulu..

3. RamyaMusic

RamyaMusic Silver IL'ite

@indoc true. One should understand the meaning, learn the right pronunciation before signing a song. Though at times learning the pronunciation of a new language is difficult and takes its own time.

4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ramyamusic madam,
    Thank you very much for bringing in one of the famous kritis in Raga Sri.It is actually in praise of Lord Rama and the bhakthas have become mahanubhavas because of association with Lord Rama.Thyagaraja had a devotion uncompare to Lord Rama.

Regarding pronunciations unless one understands Telugu and Sanskrit ,it is understandable that one cannot get at the correct pronunciation initially. Tamil language itself does not have different consonants for ka, cha tha, ta,pa etc.
    Unless one knows Sanskrit ,even Tamil scholars are likely to go wrong.As one takes music lessons in his/ her own mother tongue,these mistakes are likely to occur.It is very correct in terms of Tamil language and totally wrong in terms of Sanskrit.

It may take a very long time ,even years to get the correct pronunciation, though they have captured the essence of the song.While 100% perfection is the goal, some mispronunciations, I think , are pardonable, having consideration to the other attainments like raga gnanam, swara prastharam, shruthi, layam etc etc.

Compared to the previous generation of musicians, who were no good in segregating words into meaningful syllables, now a days greater importance is given to this aspect by teachers, as many books are available in English with correct pronunciations.Even students who don't know any of the Indian languages are able to get at the exact pronunciation.

I had been to a concert given by American students.
    While the girl had quite a great American accent when she introduced the song, composer etc, she was perfect while singing with distinct, clear meaningful segregation of syllables and nobody could say that she was a foreigner .It is because she has from the beginning attached significant importance equally to nuances of music as well as sahitya and its meaning and had been trained well.
    I think as audience, one has to develop a tolerance to these lapses .When such errors are pointed out in personal quarters it may have more impact.If one has to occupy the stage only after attaining perfection in all the fields, it may not be possible for anyone to reach the stage during one's life time.
    Like any other science, music also is evolving through omissions and commissions and nobody is a paragon of perfection.

Jayasala 42

3 people like this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Ramya,
    Do you mind if I say something about pronounciation? My mother tongue is Telugu.
    It is "Endaro mahanubhavulu andariki vandanamu". Of course Bhakt bhava is more important. I completely agree.
    Syamala

2 people like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Ramya,

Of all the people who commented on this snippet, I am the least qualified to write something about one of the Mumoorthigal known as Thyagrajar in Tamilnadu. Every time I visited Thiruvarur, I used to think how the life would have been when Thiyaga Brahmam lived in that town. His compositions are still sung in Thiruvaiyaru in his memory by most Carnatic Musicians and even countries like the US have introduced Cleveland Festival in memory of his great work.

What can I say anything about someone who recited the name of Rama over billion times during his lifetime. I have heard that because of his constant reciting of Sri Rama's name, the Lord Himself decided to manifest in his full form. When Thyaga Brahmam opened the door of the house for someone calling from outside, The Bhaktha of Sri Rama saw Maha Vishnu in His full form and He was not even able to face the light emitted from His Tejas. This incident brings tears into my eyes and demonstrated what type of bhakthi one should have in order to have the Lord's Pratyaksha.

I digressed a little and let me get back to the subject you have covered. What a great lesson to learn from Thiyaga Brahmam! Whenever, I think of his devotion to Lord Rama, Sabari comes to my mind. Musical compositions in praise of the Lord melts the heart and the Lord is no exception. The Lord makes sure such people are blessed.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Thankyou Ramya for explaining the background of this beautiful Carnatic song. My DD learnt this and of all the Pancharatna Kritis this is the one she loves to sing. I wish her teacher had explained this background which will help students to sing with expression. Thanks for sharing this and if possible please share background stories or meanings of other Kritis too.

8. RamyaMusic

RamyaMusic Silver IL'ite

Thank you Shyamala Madam for the correction. I was so eager to share this story that I didn't bother to check the diction. Sorry about that.

9. RamyaMusic

RamyaMusic Silver IL'ite

Thank you @jskls. I happened to hear this story very recently and was thrilled. Wanted to share this and thought IL as the right platform. Will share more as I come to know of them. Thanks for the interest.

10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

No need of Madam Ramya. Just Syamala is enough.
    Syamala