1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Enlighten Your Plight During The Ice Fall In Winter

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sunkan, Nov 27, 2007.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

How do you handle cold winter with ice situations?

Many in <st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region> apart from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Srinagar</st1:place></st1:City> and down south will not be aware as to what are the problems faced by people living in ice cold conditions,
    Apart from loading up products saving your self the drive to the mall I would like to know…

Which part of the world you are from and how is the ice level there?

When the water gets free zed in the pipe how do u handle them?

Do you store in open large vessels and heat the ice?

What is the clothing u need during your icy winter?

What would be your diet be during this time of the year?

How do you help pets maintain their exercise and diet?

What vegetables available during these times?

How do you flush the toilet when it is free zed?

Will you take hot drinks to keep yourself warm if so then what are they?

Energy bills are higher during this time of the year?

What kind of flooring is recommended in these areas are they wooden, or any other material which may be warm.

Carpets are the great saviors but what kind do you go for in winter?

Can anyone fill in here please…sunkan

2. CharuKaur

CharuKaur Senior IL'ite

Hi Sunkan

Your curosity immediately prompted me to try and answer your long list of Qs :queen

I live in Chicago Suberbs (USA) and this is supposed to be the windy city of the world!! temperatures go well beyond 0 degree celcius here which ofcourse means snow and frozen conditions.
    Well, how we manage the cold - gas/electric heating is provided in homes/offices. This definitely pumps up the energy consumption bills.
    Homes/Offices are carpetted (wall-to-wall) and with adequate heating mechanisms, the cold is absolutely manageable while at home. In fact, i roam around in my t-shirt and shorts at home.
    But stepping out of the house is dreadful. We wear layers of clothing so we can cope up with the cold and the icy winds. High heel boots are thus the preferred choice for footwear during extreme weathers.
    There are conditions when the car fuels etc. also freeze. So there are anti-freeze liquids available readily in the market to be mixed with fuel. To scrap off the snow from the car too, anti-freeze cleaners are needed coz the snow gets too thickly deposited at times. Defoggers and heaters become a neccessity to be used while driving.
    Anti-freeze elements are used to keep the waters from freezing in pipes etc.. an example, automated sprinklers are dried and kept ready well in advance the snow forecasts to overcome any troubles. In fact, even fire brigades have anti-freeze mixtures handy always, or else it would be impossible to save any fire conditions!
    Greatfully, the water arrangemnets in homes and offices - for drinking, sewage etc are well maintained - generally based in central heating provided in most apartments and office buildings.

Well, i tried summing up all the information i have. Hope this helps and melts your icy curosity :cheers

Cheers
    charu..

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

thanku charu,
    never knew these anti freeze liquids existed, kept wondering how people managed, and how the houses maintain the temperature, thought how about power cuts don't you face them there then it is great..thanku anyway taking time to tell me about those facilities there...sunkan

4. CharuKaur

CharuKaur Senior IL'ite

Well, thats an interesting point Sunkan.
    I have been in the US for close to 2 years and there have been only two power outages so far - not lasting more than a couple of hours! So, its kinda manageable coz the house is already warm.
    Humans is the smartest race - they invent whatever they need :hatsoff

Have a nice day!
    Charu..

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

From my side some points:

I am in the Eastern part of United States. This is called Mountain State. the winter will be very severe in the hills and as we are away some of the hills, we do experience cold weather and icy conditiions.
    The weather forecasters usually warns us when the temperature drops below zero and ask us to open the water pipes a little bit to avoid burst of pipes.
    Usually all the vegetables called the 'english veg' are available all year round.
    We have 'centralised' heater to be used in winter and the same is used as an AC during the summer.
    carpets are the best during winter.
    The water in the tank doesn't freeze , no problem in flushing the toilet.
    regarding the current-cut it will be back within hours otherwise if there is a major problem.

Excercise and diet, i think other ilites will clarify that doubt.

sriniketan

6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

thanku srini,
    this doubt is from viewing all those episodes and travel in the travel and living kind where they put the ice to heat for tea or coffee, and wondered about the rest of the things, thank u for joining in here, wish more people would come forward even with suggestions how to tackle it will help others, how to overcome the difficulty faced..sunkan