1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Enjoy Yourself While You're Still In The Pink .....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 2, 2021.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Received a forward this morning from a very dear friend, an elderly lady whom I met for the first time on this site. It is a poem by Mario de Andrade (San Paolo 1893-1945) poet, novelist, essayist and musicologist called "My soul has a hat".

It just reminded me again about how fleeting time is and how our perspectives change with the passing years. Not that one has not realized it earlier, but reading something like this just reinforces the feeling.

Not long ago (or so it seems to me, when I think of events - it is a different story when numbers give the same time period a different perspective) I used to be 'young,' though, believe me, I felt 'old' then. I used to complain endlessly about being bored, used to count the number of years left and they felt like a burden on my then 'young' shoulders. I did not particularly enjoy what I did - going to school, college, doing what I was told to, worrying about my future ..... The world seemed to be such a dark place. It seems like yesterday.

A few decades down the line, I spend my time in my room, "doing nothing" some might say and as I myself suspect every now and then, but it seems like 24 hours are not enough to do everything I'd like to do. Maybe I get that feeling, because there are so many more things I would like to do in addition to whatever it is that I do, plan to do or decide to do but then don't do. Sleep which then was a welcome escape seems today to be nothing but an interruption in my scheme of things, something I guess like it is to all babies who have so much to discover in life. And the time between the aforementioned 'then' and 'today' or lesser is all that I have left on this planet (at least till the curtains go up again for yet another show, though I shall be quite contented to let the curtains go down and let it rest at that). And then I realize that that seemingly long (in arithmetic terms) chunk of time flew off before I knew what was happening and before I realized it, I am sitting here and pontificating on time and life. All that happened in between is still a blur.

It is overwhelming to think of all that has to be done during that time. Well let me think: Clearing up my home would be a wonderful starting point. Downsizing (physical self as well as belongings) would be be essential to accomplish the first point. Loads to be done in terms of expansion of the intellectual sheaths. Lessons in patience, letting go and anger control to be learned. Travel before it is too late - can't say "while I'm still in my pink", I suppose 'coz it is already "later than I think". Though I might possibly just be a wee bit pinker than I ever will be. Be of some use to the world, so people can think of me fondly when I am no longer here. That is already a looooooong enough list to be accomplished in the short time left to me.

Any regrets in life? No big ones. Just that I wish that the younger I could have "understood" in the truest sense of the word how transient and fleeting life and time is and that the opportunities available to young people have today were available to us then. Maybe I could have achieved something more significant in life.

And what about lessons .....? Well, looking at how awfully polarised and dark the times are today, maybe now the past does not seem so dark. No use, though, thinking of the past. So live in the here and now is the biggest lessons of this lifetime.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

A wonderful thread analyzing how we think about time. When we have plenty of time, we didn't know the value of it and when we understand the value of it, we are left with no time or at least less time. The last line of the poem, "We have two lives and the second begins when you realize you have only one" struck me like a thunderbolt.

Time is relative to how excited we are or how depressed we are. Einstein gave an example of how when touching a hot plate, the time prolongs and when a pretty young woman is stilling on the lap, time flies. In a way, time is directly proportional to our emotions even though it seems to run in a logical sequence when it is viewed independently. Steve Jobs gave a wonderful speech in his Standford talk which probably was viewed by most of us.
    . His speech gave three ground rules for leading an ideal life. Time elapses on a sequential progression but when we are engaged in something quite interesting, time doesn't matter.
    There is a philosophical way to look at it as well. If we leave the world leaving our footprints, we have done well.

satchitananda likes this.
  3. satchitananda

Reflecting over the experiences, it occurred to me that what stands out in my memory is really the myriad experiences and events, the time being an extraneous factor which did not show up in my memory between events. I thought that was one of those vague, blurred impressions about the time dimension being illusory.
    Maybe that is what makes it seem as if time is flying past. Wonder why it stretched out so painfully in my youth and childhood.

nandinimithun and Viswamitra like this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

I tell you, you made me smile! I agree with you that perspective changes as we age. But I am also learning that we have to learn to appreciate our current stage to kind of avoid future regrets and perhaps a great habit not to look back on the past too. Talking to a cousin, I was suprirsed when she said that I don't look at past - as far as relationship dealings are concerned and simple move on. I like being no judgemnetal not only about others but also about myself :) Work in progress, that I can tell you!

As you well know, we all come choosing our lessons and can only hope that we are learning more than what we chose. Though we feel the polarisation acutely now, I do believe this is a correcting phase and all wil settle down....just when is the question.

Enjoyed reading it!

satchitananda likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Hey Sabitha,

good to hear from you. Yes, just hope that this is a phase which will blow over sooner than later!

This weekend has been a harsh reminder of how time flies. My life is, as it were, upside down. I slog on weekends and chill on weekdays. The last two weekends have been really frenzied. Finally, got to put my feet up for a bit today.

Talking of upside down reminds me of a joke I had heard from Dad when I was younger. Apparently Moses had a pow-wow with God and wanted to prove himself smarter. God challenged him to create a living being ..... and he created a bat which hangs upside down.