English Matters

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Ansuya, Dec 20, 2008.

1. leenatitu

leenatitu Bronze IL'ite

Dear Anusya,

I really enjoy and appreciate your contribution. Tks a lot.

Leena

2. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Kalyani

Thanks for the thoughtful comments you have made. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem.

It is true that our mother tongues influence our accents. Here's an interesting thing I found out about myself and my own accent. Although I do not speak Tamil, I am descended from South Indians who did. When I was living and working in India (not my country of birth), I was told that people could make this out purely from the way I pronounced the "th" sound when I spoke English!

To me, this was remarkable and quite exciting, given my interest in language and how we use it. Because I learnt how to speak English in a family that had its roots in southern India, even though I couldn't speak a word of Tamil myself (neither can my parents), and I had not been exposed to the language much, I still retained some of those speech patterns. So my real "mother tongue" lives on in my adoptive mother tongue!

I think most of us (especially since we come from ex-British colonies like South Africa and India) have a tendency to prefer the British style of English, although it does create difficulties when we live in a country like the US. Like you point out, though, it is all a matter of being flexible and accepting different ways of using the language, even though we may not personally subscribe to all of them ourselves.

Ansuya

3. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Leena

I really like your name! Thanks for the words of appreciation. It is always good to receive positive feedback - it renews my energy and enthusiasm for this thread and all the good people who contribute to it.

Sanju

Your reply brought a big smile to my face. It is wonderful to know that you are the one who originally asked for a thread like this to be created, and I have been able to help you with what you asked for. I look forward to answering more of your questions in the future.

Ansuya

4. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Friends

Everyone seems to have enjoyed the poem very much, which is great! I love poetry, but I am aware that it is something that turns a lot of people off, probably because so many of us had to sit through boring poetry lessons at school.

I wanted to share a great poem with you, one that I used a lot in the classroom, especially with younger children. If you have young children, this is a great way to get them interested in poetry and introduce them to the more metaphorical aspects of language use (humour, symbolism, imagery, imagination, perspective, etc.).

It is a poem about a young child's first day at school, and it can also be used by parents whose children are themselves heading off to school for the first time, as a way to discuss fears and apprehensions and dissolve some of the tensions that often accompany this monumental event in a child's life.

I love this poem for its humour, simplicity, compassion, and of course, the neat and precise way in which so few words are used to say so much, and so well, which is the hallmark of really good poetry. And of course, no matter how many times I read it, I just have to laugh out loud at the last line - enjoy!

First Day at School

Roger McGough

A millionbillionwillion miles from home
    Waiting for the bell to go. (To go where?)
    Why are they all so big, other children?
    So noisy? So much at home they
    Must have been born in uniform
    Lived all their lives in playgrounds
    Spent the years inventing games
    That don't let me in. Games
    That are rough, that swallow you up.

And the railings.
    All around, the railings.
    Are they to keep out wolves and monsters?
    Things that carry off and eat children?
    Things you don't take sweets from?
    Perhaps they're to stop us getting out
    Running away from the lessins. Lessin.
    What does a lessin look like?
    Sounds small and slimy.
    They keep them in the glassrooms.
    Whole rooms made out of glass. Imagine.

I wish I could remember my name
    Mummy said it would come in useful.
    Like wellies. When there's puddles.
    Yellowwellies. I wish she was here.
    I think my name is sewn on somewhere
    Perhaps the teacher will read it for me.
    Tea-cher. The one who makes the tea.

5. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Ansuya

I enjoyed the poem especially the part about Tea-cher, the one who makes the tea. Thanks for sharing.

I went through all the posts and enjoyed reading them. I too was a bit perplexed about the use of "invite". I had only learnt as "Thank you for the invitation". Thanks for validating it.

6. sumi

sumi New IL'ite

Hi Ansuya ,

Thank you so much for starting such an excellent thread. Just now only I saw this thread, so I have to read all things, then I can clarify my doubts in English Language.

sumi

7. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Sundarusha

I'm so glad you enjoyed the poem - being able to share it with others only increases the pleasure I take in it, like so many other good things in life. Congratulations on going through the entire thread - I am amazed at how much enthusiasm so many people are showing for this subject, since it requires times and energy to read and make sense of this kind of discussion. I do admire people like you who want to learn on a purely voluntary basis, without the usual incentives that students have. Thanks for your interest!

Sumi

Welcome to the English Matters thread! I am glad I started this thread, but all credit should go to people like Sanju and Srama who were instrumental in its genesis, and of course, the other ILites whose contributions have made it so lively and interesting. I hope you enjoy reading the rest of it - please feel free to ask any questions you may have. I look forward to your continued participation.

Ansuya

8. KalyaniBhaskar

KalyaniBhaskar Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Ansuya for your prompt reply.

You are right in telling that if one sticks rigidly to one style of language
    then it sure lands oneself in trouble. The dialects vary.

Though I am little inclined towards British English, I follow
    "Be a Roman when you are in Rome"
    Otherwise, it would be difficult to survive. The American slang must be known before landing in America. :)

The second poem is good. I am yet to study it.

Kalyani

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  9. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Ansuya
    Thanks for this poem the First day of School.. really neat. And the last lines
    Perhaps the teacher will read it for me.
    Tea-cher. The one who makes the tea..

WOW just seems to jump out at you.. you rock dear:)

10. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Ansuya

I have noticed some children, and at times adults when asked "How are you?" respond saying "I am doing good" which is incorrect. The correct usage should be "I am doing well". "Doing good " refers to an action.

Some more interesting rules.

1. Between refers to two. Among is used for three or more.

For eg.

Divide the candy between the two of you.

Divide the candy among the three of you.

2. Spell out single-digit whole numbers. Use numerals for numbers greater
    than nine.

For eg.

I want five copies

I want 10 copies.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009