English Matters

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Ansuya, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

K2S, call me nuts if you want, but for some reason, your 'ululant' reminded me of 'vuvuzela'!! I even looked up to see if both these words are related, no chance! Only common thing is both make irritating sounds! :rotfl

L, Kamla

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Utts,

"Would love to read your picks of the year ;)"......I would find MANY no doubt, all I have to do is go through your posts! :)

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.
  3. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

purple does go well with green, utts... really haven't you seen peacocks? not the one in your mirror.. the other peacocks I mean.. :) okay okay let us agree to disagree..

1 person likes this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

That makes two of us Kamla. :-D

5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Good one! :rotfl

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Just heard about the most annoying words for 2013 Most Annoying Word: 'Whatever'

Whatever! Just sayin you know :)

Speaking of annoying words, I found this list also quite interesting http://stylecaster.com/annoying-words-2013/

It is at times like these (when I come across these articles), I feel English matters!

PS: the most annoying word for this year is actually a banned word in our household!

7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

This may be a quick question, but the answer would be anything but quick! That's why this query has not been answered (Apart from Ansuya's abdication of responsibility as she lounges about eating ice-cream and potato chips while watching "Days of Our Lives").

For e.g., the table entry for the use of a hyphen in compound words in the "Chicago Manual of Style" runs to 10 pages, and that is only a part of the usage! Commas and semicolons can be equally complicated in formal writing.

For routine writing, follow standard middle-school rules. Reminders can be found at the Purdue OWL. I tend to use this resource a fair bit. Purdue OWL has YouTube videos as well.

Careful use of hyphens, en dash, em dash & the like becomes an issue in scholarly publishing and in search-indexing because, if used improperly, search engines may not be able to identify the proper documents in response to keywords.

When in doubt, the best bet is to have access to a good manual of style. In the United States, three major ones are:

The New York Times Manual of Style
    The Chicago Manual of Style
    The MLA Style Manual

List of free online style guides.

3 people like this.
  8. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Shredded extra mature cheddar cheese and yes, potato chips while binge-watching "Sons of Anarchy".

Thanks, S.

2 people like this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you SN! The quickness of the question was directly proportional to the irritation of having to review a couple of business papers for grammar and punctuation while trying to make sense of what was being presented. Will be sure to go through the links as soon as the guests leave for I know I will go through this exercise soon, again!

Ansuya has been helpful between her lounging around and watching TV and I cannot thank her enough!

10. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Indeed, interesting compilation! I'm not sure which one is more annoying seeing a selfie or hearing the word 'selfie'. To me, both are equally annoying till the Danes glamorized it! ;)