English Matters

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Ansuya, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Ansuya,

a quick question. Can you please help me understand how to, where and when to use hyphen, comma and semi colon.

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I did not know the book, so I looked it up. It seems very interesting indeed. I decided to brave it in the original and just got my copy in the mail this morning.
    Thanks for the tip!

3. sokanasanah

English Smatter.

Anagrammer (by Peter Pereira)

If you believe in the magic of language,

then Elvis really Lives
    and Princess Diana foretold I end as car spin.

If you believe the letters themselves
    contain a power within them,
    then you understand
    what makes outside tedious,
    how desperation becomes a rope ends it.

The circular logic that allows senator to become treason,
    and treason to become atoners.

That eleven plus two is twelve plus one,
    and an admirer is also married.

That if you could just rearrange things the right way
    you’d find your true life,
    the right path, the answer to your questions:
    you’d understand how the Titanic

turns into that ice tin,
    and debit card becomes bad credit.

How listen is the same as silent,
    and not one letter separates stained from sainted.

Peter Pereira, "Anagrammer" from What's Written on the Body (Copper Canyon Press, 2007). www.coppercanyonpress.org. Source: Poetry (September 2003).

2 people like this.
  4. sokanasanah

In the original German, the title is: "Perlmanns Schweigen".

The word "schweigen" has a particular resonance in this context. I am guessing (not having read the book yet) that it is a nod to one of the most famous one-liners in all of philosophy:

"Worüber man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen"** - the last word in the last line of the Tractatus by Ludwig Wittgenstein.

**("Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent")

The Tractatus is an attempt to define the correspondence between language, reality and philosophy, with an emphasis on limits to our understanding. I do not think the title is coincidental!

The novel is about language and thus self-referential. The fact that you found its language 'fascinating', even in translation, piqued my interest - looking forward to reading it.

Thanks again!

1 person likes this.
  5. reddishmoon

reddishmoon Senior IL'ite

The novel is about language and thus self-referential. The fact that you found its language 'fascinating', even in translation, piqued my interest - looking forward to reading it.

I am waiting to hear your views on the novel...I am waiting as if I have written the novel....Curiosity....

6. sokanasanah

I am running around a fair bit in December, with many a deadline, so it won't be till the New Year I am afraid! ;-(

7. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Guys, I have to take a hiatus from this thread. If there is an language-or-otherwise-related emergency (haha), or you just want to say hello, feel free to PM me, and I'll do my best to reply.

8. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Before you curse that auto-correct tool in your tablet and phone on why it is suggesting 'religiose' instead of religious, there is a forked word with greater intensity defined as: excessively, sentimentally religious; superficially religious.

No more hitting extra keys to explain - extremely religious, very very religious or highly religious use the nifty word to save trees (save paper) and before you correct the word, why don't you evaluate the person in question again, which perhaps needs correction ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

In the video 'Snafu - Rumo(u)rs', the commentator scoffs snafu's overworked thinking leading to water-c(l)ooler rumour, nonsense talk as 'BALONEY, BALONEY' (where the illustrations show a stretched sausage, chopped and shooted out of the window). How did Bologna (Italian city) be associated with Baloney (unauthentic, nonsense talk). There are lot of etymological stories floating on the net. The coherent version is perhaps the usage of low-quality meat to prepare Bologna sausage, leading to modification of the spelling to baloney giving rise to the meaning - foolish, no substance, poor quality talk.

Define baloney | Dictionary and Thesaurus

10. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Will miss you dearly in the thread. Do write when ever, what ever you can, will always have full-house and scramble for front row audience to listen to anything you say ;)

Take care and happy holiday season!

2 people like this.