1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

English, English!

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by Cheeniya, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

INTERESTING FACTS for those who love the English Language !!!!!

No words in the English Language rhyme with “month”, “orange”, “silver” or "purple”.

“Hungry” and “Angry” are the only words in the English Language that end in “-gry.

The number 4 is the only number that has the same number of letters in it - FOUR

Did you know the word 'Underground' is the only word that begins and ends with the letters 'und'.

The word 'Uncopyrightable' is the only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating any letter.

The word 'Typewriter' is the longest word that can be typed using only the top row of a keyboard.

Did you know the sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English alphabet.

The word 'Rhythm' is the longest word without a vowel.

"Dreamt" is the only word that ends in mt.

Did you know there are only 3 sets of letters on a keyboard which are in alphabetical order - 'F G H', 'J K L', 'O P'

The word "queue" is the only word in the English Language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.

"Dammit I'm mad" is the same spelt backwards

"Set" of all the words in the English Language, the word "set" has the most definitions.

"Bookkeeper" & "Bookkeeping" are only words in English language with three consecutive double letters.

The least used letter in the alphabet is Q.

The most commonly used word in English conversation is 'I'
    The dot on top of the letter 'i' is calle

d a tittle.

There are only 4 words in the English language which end in 'dous' (they are: hazardous, horrendous, stupendous and tremendous)

The oldest word in the English language is 'town'.

The word 'Strengths' is the longest word in the English language with just one vowel.

The past tense for the English word 'dare' is 'durst'.

The first English dictionary was written in 1755.

2. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Improved my English!
    Syamala

Cheeniya likes this.
  4. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Yes @Cheeniya uncle, a very interesting article on English language and I got to know many things. Usually we don't focus on any language to know exciting facts unless we have passion about that subject.

Cheeniya likes this.