Enginering,Medicine.No other options?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by BhargaviChakravarthy, Jan 7, 2008.

1. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Dear janani,
    how r u?Thanks for ur feedback.Yes though there are multitude of courses no one want to take a look at it.Because as a parent they will look into the one which yields their children money,as well as u said they feel proud in saying that my son/daughter is a doctor/engineer.This has been happening right from ancien times till the computer age.There are courses which may really be good still they are considered as off-beat courses.Journalism,fine arts,designing are excellent courses which if pursued with interest look good.Going abroad is one more criteria for selecting the same.

Thank u once again for ur fb.
    BC

2. BhargaviChakravarthy

Dear shobana,
    Thank u so much for ur valuable feedback.The IT industry is progressing since its rate of growth is high.But slightly i feel that the trend is changing very very slowly..Some girls are attracted towards fashion designing,journalism.There are growth prospects in that courses too.Big salaries are paid to softwate professionals.Even in other fields,we can earn well but i feel that if u consider ten persons in IT industry atleast seven to eight among them are paid well.But for the rest of courses ,maximum of only four or five are earning a maximum salary.We cannot blindly say that growth is accomplished only in engineering,medicine .Parents,students and the so called society should atleast turn their eye to concentrate on other fields/courses too.

BC

3. swethakrishnan

swethakrishnan Senior IL'ite

This is a really good topic for discussion. I am a student myself. I am now doing 2nd year BBA and also pursueing CA side-by-side. It was my dream to become a CA since grade 8. My parents have also been very supportive. Maybe because both of them are also CAs. Yet, other relatives and friends were opposing to this saying that CA is a very difficult course and 'not meant for girls' as they must get married off!

I think most of the times, parents are ready to support their children's decisions but the society does not allow them to do so ...tsk

4. BhargaviChakravarthy

Hi shwetha,
    thanks for joining us.Yes everbody are of the opinion that CA is really tough a course and people are in a mad rush for only a few.Many parents respect their child's decision but due to the society speaking and giving irrelevant guidance they are not in a position to decide and finally opt for the one which is most recognised ..

Thanks
    BC

5. swethakrishnan

Absolutely. And for many people, money is a major attraction. They tend to choose careers which help them make money quickly. What they dont understand is that not all courses offer jobs with a huge pay instantly. People in certain jobs start off with a nominal salary but earn a good amount of money over the years.

And careers in the Media and Communications field is a big NO NO!!! Everyone wants their child to be an MBA from IIM!!!

6. BhargaviChakravarthy

Dear shwetha,
    There is a myth abt media and communication.i don't know why certain good courses are not recognised?Money is the majoe constraint.I agree that money is the first criteria and hence everyone blindly bend towards IT industry on account of huge salary.I would rather tell to make other courses equivalent to IT ,there must be a steady growth as well as there must be lucrative offers.I mean the other fields must also give good salary....

Hope the discussion is going hot.thanks shwetha for ur valuable feedback.......Keep posting...

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hey swetha,

Nice to know you had the dream from grade 8. if u have read my post in the same thread you would know my daughter is now in 7th and wants to do CA like her dad....and when she says that she is thinking of CA or if we answer somebody that she wants to pursue CA,they just say.she is too young to form a firm decision, they will change..in another year she is going to say computer engineering....you are right when u say about society....

But I will be happy whichever profession she wants to choose..after all it is education which I am more particular..and would stand by it...

8. swethakrishnan

Hi

When kids says I want to become superman, all parents laugh. But children know what they are talking about when they grow older.

I really dont understand why people generalise and say that all children lack focus.
    Though I had friends who hadnt decided what stream they wanted to choose till a day before the registration, thats an extreme. Most students decide what they want to do in life when they come into 8th or 9th grade. Parents must support these views and encourage their children.

The student's choice must be the priority because they are going to pursue that as a career for life.I am not trying to say that pay package isnt important but is secondary.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi

Did u see the news yesterday evening. In the campus selection in Shriram College of Commerce mumbai and few other colleges companies have offered 14 lacs for a fresher who completes graduation this april....Commerce looks very much demand...

10. swethakrishnan

Yes, commerce field is growing. Even job prospects are many. But people must realise that, right... when I say I m doing BBA they look at me as if I m incapable of doing science thats and y I took commerce .... and when I say I m studying in Dubai, they reinforce their view ... thats really frustrating!