Engagement Ceremony at Tirupati

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by spicychai, Sep 12, 2013.

1. spicychai

spicychai New IL'ite

Hello All!

My family and my to-be fiance's family has agreed that he and I should have our engagement ceremony in Tirupati temple this December.

What I am confused about is, how do we do this (Poojari, prayer, slokas, ring exchange)? Who do we contact? Can it be done?

Have any of you had your engagement at the Tirupati temple? How was it? Rushed / relaxed?

Thank you! Looking forward to your responses :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

2. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

First of all, congratulations!!!
    It will be a good idea to check out the details at the devasthanam head office if you are in Chennai. Or else, you can make a trip tp Tirupati itself, check out the details and confirm everything. You are indeed blessed to have this opportunity to solemnize your lifelong relationship with your partner at the Lord's abode.

1 person likes this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Congratulations dear as RKG has mentioned you are blessed to have the engagement inTirupathi

4. vijikrish

vijikrish Gold IL'ite

Engagement and Marriage all happen in kizzhu (lower) tirupati only. Pl. check devasthan office near by you or make trip tirupati to check.

5. spicychai

spicychai New IL'ite

Thank you everyone for your good wishes! We did contact the temple and they said that we can arrange the engagement ceremony with at purohit sangam. I don't more details at the moment but I assume that this should be arranged early enough (now) instead of waiting the day before in December.

6. chad

chad Silver IL'ite

Congratulations on u r engagement...

I have went and attend one of relatives marriage over Tirumala(upper thirupathi) ...
    there are some hotel which provided food and hall also ..check with them..if it is mandapam then u need to check with devasthanam office which is located in lower tirupathi..Best wishes for u both..!!!

7. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Oh that's great! Now just await the D-day and wish you and your partner all the best!

8. spicychai

spicychai New IL'ite

Hello All!

I want to thank everyone for their responses, ideas, thoughts and especially your Good Wishes!! :)

I would like to say that the engagement was done extremely nicely. We had it in Tirumala itself. There is a hall there (Periya Jeer Madam) where the vadhiyar (priest) conducted our engagement, in about one hour. They provided wonderful South indian food (both breakfast and lunch). Flowers and other items were taken care of. Extremely clean and well kept hall.

If anyone is interested to know contact information/details about who conducted this and what cost, please message me in private to know the details.

We ended up staying at the Tirumala Devasthanam accommodation/lodging. I highly recommend NOT staying there if you are there with family for something like an engagement/wedding. I guess what can you expect for 1000 Rs a night!

Pros:
    There was a western toilet.
    Lodging was walking distance from the engagement hall.

Cons:
    - stains on the bed and blankets
    - bed bugs
    - cockroaches
    - water flowing out from the bathroom into the hall, so sarees get wet!
    - poor lighting (especially for us ladies who are getting ready and wanting to do our makeup and hair)
    - not enough space for three people
    - NO safety! The ladies and men who clean the accommodation are very inquisitive and stand outside people's doors. They were looking into our room when we were bringing our suitcases in and we had ask them to mind their own business. My fiance's father's watch was stolen within two minutes of moving into their room! It was really sad to know that!

So I highly recommend staying in a guest house (it may be booked quickly, so book it early). One place I can recommend is: Tata Birla Guest House. My Uncle stayed here and he had no complaints.

Anyway, just wanted to update everyone on this incase someone is looking to having their Engagement ceremony in Tirumala. Thumbs Up for the ceremony! Thumbs Down for the accommodation!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.