1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Enforcing Money power on Kids

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by malspie, Aug 13, 2007.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Lathamurali and Shanvy,

I read the posts exchanged by two of you. It was worth reading and hope few pick up some valuable tips from the posts...

Thanks friends...

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Very nice article, Mals!
    It is shocking to see the kids behaviour.
    I am also worried about my eldest who is good in spending and wants to buy whatever she feels will be good for her.
    We even told her that the money is due to hard work and you cannot get it from the trees. No use.
    So my husband asked me to accompany her to the mall whenever she goes with her friend to limit her spending.
    She is saving money through baby -sitting near door, but she really saves that and get money from us.

sriniketan

3. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sri,

You are making an effort to push in the values of money in her. Parents are hell bent to make their children "Heady" about money power, thats when the scene gets spoilt...

Todays kids do not say "Hi" to a person getting off from a public transport.. they are supposed to be "poor"... They do not say "hello" to females who wear salwar suits, they are supposed to be outdated... Parents teach them that they have vehicle, trendy clothes, money power, so they should look down upon others...

Its very alarming.......

Your daughter will pick the threads do not worry.

4. balamotwani

balamotwani Bronze IL'ite

Hi Mals,

Nice thread. Whatever i wanted to say, Vysan has written the same.

My daughter is 3 years old. She goes to nearby nursery by school van. Everyday when i go down to drop her in van stop, she cries and screams saying " i want to go to big bus school". I tell her you can go when you grow big, but she doesnt accept. Then i told her , you can go next year onwards, mummy will go to office, bring lot of money and i will join you in big bus. Whenever i go for interview, she is asking me, did you bring lot of money for my big bus. She thinks i am going to office and still not putting her in big bus school. She was praying one day and when i asked her what did she say Jay Jay baba, she said i told him to give lot of monies for mummy so that you will send me to big bus school. I dont know how to explain her.

Dubai is pretty expensive, according to her age, we can make her join only in International schools which opens in september but the schools are pretty expensive and i know that she wont go regularly. I made her join in Nursery so that she will get used to everything - getting up, van, school friends, van friends, sharing, eating in school, etc... So in March i will put her in Indian school.

Tell me what should i do?

Bala

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Bala,

Your daughter is just three years old and too young to understand the threads of value of money funda...
    So do not worry..

6. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear Mals, An article which made the reading worthwhile. I feel the parents are to be blamed for the attitude of children. It is we who should teach the children the value of money and how much we toil to earn the same. It is also important that parents should not gossip abt others in front of the children. Children born in middle class families will not have such attitude. The affluent children should be educated properly abt the value of money and also should be made aware that money doesn't make everything. Character matters more.They should be taught how to be humble and how being humble helps in begetting the love of all. These things are collectively taught from the childhood by groups like Bal Vikas and Bal Vihar run by Sai Groups and Chinmaya mission all over the world. The children who attend to these classes will definitely be humble.

7. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sujathae,

You have penned valuable thoughts. Parents do not inject the Value of money in children on the other hand encourage them to spend and later boast about the spending.... I have seen these children how they look down upon others who cannot afford things... Even a six year old throws "ATTITUDE". My personal experience with kids around.

Thanks for peeping in.