1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Energy

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

[FONT=&quot]Energy is the driving force for the universe. Energy is a quantitative property of a system which may be kinetic, potential, or other in form. There are many different forms of energy. One form of energy can be transferred to another form. The laws of thermodynamics govern how and why energy is transferred. Before the different types of energy resources and their uses are discussed, it is important to understand a little about the basic laws of energy.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]There are three laws of thermodynamics. The first law of thermodynamics also called conservation of energy, states that the total amount of energy in the universe is constant. This means that all of the energy has to end up somewhere, either in the original form or in a different from. We can use this knowledge to determine the amount of energy in a system, the amount lost as waste heat, and the efficiency of the system. The second law of thermodynamics states that the disorder in the universe always increases. After cleaning your room, it always has a tendency to become messy again. This is a result of the second law. As the disorder in the universe increases, the energy is transformed into less usable forms. Thus, the efficiency of any process will always be less than 100%. The third law of thermodynamics tells us that all molecular movement stops at a temperature we call absolute zero. Since temperature is a measure of molecular movement, there can be no temperature lower than absolute zero. At this temperature, a perfect crystal has no disorder. When put together, these laws state that a concentrated energy supply must be used to accomplish useful work.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Why am I sharing laws of thermodynamics to the ILites? Am I going to write only about science from now on? Let me make a confession here that my knowledge of science is very basic and by no means am I an expert in the field of science. As a matter of fact, I am no expert in any field of study. Then why did I choose to write about laws of thermodynamics? Before Cheeniya Sir rejects this snippet as unacceptable presentation from Viswa without any spiritual content in it, let me get back to the core of the subject I would like to cover in this snippet.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Karma[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]means a desire that has not been fulfilled. If we don't fully experience something, we create a [FONT=&quot]samskara[/FONT]. A [FONT=&quot]samskara[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]is a living energy. It has the power to compel us to do the same action again and again, and the more we do it, the more deeply ingrained it becomes. It is our [FONT=&quot]samskaras[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]that determine our lives. All the decisions are made by our Consciousness about the life we will live based upon the [FONT=&quot]samskaras [/FONT]that we have collected. As mentioned in the first law, this energy has to end up somewhere either in its original form or in a different form. By learning more about this living energy called samskara, we can understand the purpose why we took a physical form.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The [FONT=&quot]pranic[/FONT]layer is about desire. [FONT=&quot]Prana [/FONT]or breath and desires are closely related. If we could change our [FONT=&quot]prana[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT]our whole mind will change. It is our own personality development and character that has deep impact in how this energy is channelized. More there is chaos in our attitude, behavior and character (“ABC”), this prana energy is wasted. We perceive this as the disorder in the universe. Once we clean our mind and continue to maintain it clean, this energy will be optimized. How we take life experiences also impacts this energy’s usable forms. The reason for all of us to function at less than our 100% potential is because of the waste of this energy as mentioned in the second law of thermodynamics.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]When we die, the most intense experience of our life will come up. If we have had thoughtless awareness at least once, then this will come up in color and everything else will be in black and white. The tape will freeze at this point. We reach the temperature zero when no molecular movement is possible. All the rest, all our Karmas[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]will be erased. Let us not think our mind is intelligence. It is just a software program. Thoughtless Consciousness is perfectly capable of erasing all [FONT=&quot]samskaras[/FONT].
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If we experience life fully with thoughtless Consciousness, we will not feel the need to come back and live through a body and mind. When we have witnessing Consciousness, our whole life becomes a [FONT=&quot]leela[/FONT], a drama, and we know the script. We can practice this at all times. Immediately, we observe all the pain, guilt and suffering in our life. The moment we create a gap between us and our Being, all suffering disappears. Once we have a taste of thoughtless Consciousness, we will naturally return to the same mood because it is so blissful. We will relax so deeply in our body and Being. [/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

2 people like this.

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Viswa Sir,

You are always awesome in writing thought provocative threads.
    I was thinking after the first para, is more about physics and did not remember all I have read at all and was wondering whether you have changed the subject which you usually like, meant deviated from spirituality.

Relief came from second para. Learning a lot from your writes. I never knew the meaning of Karma and never ever thought like the one you have written. I was more thinking about the deeds etc. That is why someone like you is required to help us.

I do agree that the desires are the root cause of all sufferings. But in this world though we don't have so much desires we have to behind some for the sake of living in this world. Yes to have a house and some amount of decent accessories is essential for living atleast a decent life. For that we had to go thro the education, work etc. After some time we do have to find content in what we have and decrease our desires which is where we or most of us fail. Though scriptures and religious discourse or Guru's advice help us in this regard the desire has to come from every individual and that is mostly inbuilt character of the person.

I still am not sure or have a the correct interpretation of the energy which you have written. The more I have started reading your writings the more I feel I will never be able to understand the complex issues of spirituality. Maybe I am too much of a novice and have no understanding of life at all. All I can write is the way I understand the things in life, I might be wrong in the way I think about the life and feel free to correct me or point out the things I need to change etc.

I feel when a person suffers it definitely makes him focus more on the almighty and then you feel satisfied with whatever you have and the satisfaction you get is relative actually. For a beggar the satisfaction lies in just getting the food for the day and the ladder climbs up slowly as far as economic desires are concerned. An unhealthy person who is suffering from illness beyond description just to live life as it is and spend time and have a day in this world is satisfactory to him. So the desire and satisfaction with what you get is relative terminology. If you ask others the list would go on, getting good job-->abroad>marriage>kids>kids education> house>etc. So the desire list is unending and the end for it has to come from each individual person and that satisfaction or happiness is depending on the character of the person and also how much he/she looks at the world.

For getting such satisfaction the most helpful in addition to some characters which you get by purvapuniyam and the bringing up, is by turning into spirituality. For the layman just to tell him to be a silent spectator of your life is going to be hard because not everyone is having that character. Thoughtless consciousness is highly difficult state to be attained by the common man and if attained that would be bliss. To attain it, would need some kind of focusing attention on other person and lay down the sorrow of the life at someone else. I feel that someone else in my life is God and my Guru who is my God and helps by approaching God easily and I lay down everything I get in life at his feet ( happiness and sorrow). Once I leave it at his feet, I do have such a relief with peace of mind and though I cannot say reach the thoughtless consciousness as you had written. Yes to overcome all the life's drama everyone has to have that state of mind and the difficulty everyone has is how to reach or attain it. My way is to completely surrender to the Almighty and take everything that comes across in life as His wish.

Sorry if I had deviated from what you had intended to seek answer and wanted to relate. As I told I am a novice and feel free to give feedback on the aspects to change life or other advice. It is always a pleasure to read your writings. In fact I was wondering that I had no answer or reply but just have scribbled something here, pardon me if I am wrong in that. Keep continuing to write like this, feel a lot of happiness in reading, though I feel that is also God's wish.

2 people like this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    What an energetic topic starting from Science and ending with philosophy!
    For ordinary mortals like me it is difficult to grasp both science and philosophy.
    As I finished reciting slokas from Soundarya lahari of Sankaracharya on the auspicious Navarathri ,your mail tapped at my door with a beautiful response from Vaidehi.

Our Navarathri celebrations represent the recognition and appreciation wonderful Shakthi, represented by Durga, Lakshmi, Saraswathi,( in fact by all women).It is altogether a different issue that the women need not at all be deified and thrown to dust after pooja.

The Universal Energy equation associates energy with'mass'.It says every thing is energy. Your body, the computer or phone,the mail you are reading-, every thing in the universe is just pure energy. But does that equation make you even a bit more joyful than what you were before?
    Viswa, your explaining the theory of karma with three laws of Thermodynamics is simply superb.I feel that at some point, mind has to just let-go of its craving to "scientifically explain" every thing. Once that happens, it will turn inwards to meditation. ( antharmuka dhyanam )

The core point in karma is 'cause and effect'.
    I did something wrong/bad/good, wrong/bad/good will befall me, regardless of time - could be just then, an hour later, another day, before you die or even after you are reborn after a few lifetimes. There is no requiring of proof or causal event chain witnessed that leads from the first cause to the final effect.

Science requires falsifiable proofs, so it falls outside of its realm by definition.

A better question is can the Laws of Thermodynamics be understood in the context of karma? I think the answer is no. Karma has to do with the idea that all actions have consequences and that the individual reaps the consequences of their actions. Thermodynamics points to a more universal idea that all actions create Entropy ( a measure of disorder, in common language)which has consequences for the entire system, not the individual. Thermodynamics no way guarantees a universal entropy.

A better metaphor for karma is Newtons Third Law: When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.

Thus the attitude while doing karma determines the efficiency or entropy and hence controls the result. It is not only how much energy one is spending but it is important to see that the energy has good efficiency or low entropy. This efficiency factor is called in Hindu system as Dharma or Righteous path. As this Dharma controls the efficiency of effort, Dharma heads the list of purusharthas. It is because of the role of dharma, Hinduism is defined by the simple word Sanatana Dharma. Thus all human efforts are conditioned by an inherent factor of inefficiency.

But with right approach of sadhana (Spending energy) and with good attitude and efficiency , the future is definitely deterministic. It is this attitude that Lord Krishna preaches in Gita as' Karmanyeva Adhikarsthe Ma Phaleshu Kadhachana'- Right effort and right attitude of doing karma with out aspiring the fruit is the most efficient and easiest way of making future deterministic and thus realizing God.

The third law of Thermodynamics deals with the asymptotic and idealistic state, which can be aimed but very difficult to reach. Thus our effort is a complex matrix of energy, efficiency and dharmic way. It is the application of these three principles corresponding to the three types of karma ,which people compare to the three laws of thermodynamics.

If one can spend the energy required with necessary efficiency one can change the future by his efforts. The emphasis is not on the quantum of energy but the efficiency put in. The product of these two lies with the individual but the applicability of third law seems to be the domain of God.

One can determine his future. This is aptly said in the sentence Yat Bhavoo Tat Bhavati How one conceives (Plans or imagines) so it will happen. So future is deterministic if one tries for it and lives for it.

Coming to Energy or Shakthi -When Shakti first wakes from her absorption in deep embrace, into the first vibration of activity, she acquires something like independence and tends to manifest herself in her triple functions of 'willing' (icchha), 'knowing' (jnana), and 'activity' (kriya), These three functions are symbolised by the inverted triangle, yantra of the Mother Goddess. Sometimes it Is held that Shakti is nothing but a figurative representation of the Lord and can never be viewed as being a separate entity.

The rise or awakening of Shakti therefore means the awakening of the Lord from his infinitely contracted state to the state of full-fledged 'I-ness'. Shakti is thus the full 'I-ness' of the Lord. Her nature is infinite bliss. This Shakti can again be viewed in two of her aspects - the internal aspect in which she coexists with and is in the Lord (samavayini shakti), and the external aspect in which she, as Prakriti, and the repository of the three natural qualities, manifests herself as the external universe.

Last week I happened to read a comparative study of Soundarya lahari, Shivanada lahari of Acharya and Abhirami Anthaadhi by Abirami bhattar.It was an intellectual feast and entertaining too.
    Viswa,your snippet has made me more inquisitive,though I am at a base root level.
    We are proud of you Viswa ,of having a great narration of Energy or Shakthi during Devi Pooja.

jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Vaidehi,

Thank you for your first wonderful response to this snippet. I am truly humbled by your appreciation of all my snippets. Most importantly, your reading and responding to most of my posts humbles me a lot. As I mention in my snippet, I am no expert in any subject leave alone science. All my snippets are a learner's presentation with no stings attached. I freely accept criticism, comments and suggestions to all my writings with no inhibitions. Whatever credit I get in IL, I know my limitations.

Everyone born in this world have a right to scratch the surface of the earth. That is God's way of sustaining life in this planet. Passion to do work and desire to take care of family are good desires as they involve other lives. I agree that it is difficult for anyone to be without desires but one can consciously make an effort to put a ceiling on desires which most learned people suggest. Most importantly, if our heart is filled with compassion to help others any austerity we practice can be used to help people in need.

As mentioned by Smt. Jayasala, Law of Karma doesn't require any proof and it functions on the model of cause and effect. But I wrote this with an intention to attract the scientifically-oriented young minds and to make a point that even science is only stating the truth that already exists.

Abraham Maslow's theory of "Self-Actualization" clearly defines how the desires of human beings work in different circumstances from basic needs to self-fulfilling needs. In my view, when we think of moving ourselves from Thoughtful Forgetfulness to Thoughtless Awareness, it looks like an enormous effort. It is like driving a vehicle from Sydney to Melbourne in the night. The vehicle could throw light probably between 50 to 100 feet at a time but when the vehicle moves, it throws light for another 50 to 100 feet eventually taking us the entire distance. We have to steer the vehicle keeping ourselves alert to reach the destination.

It is important we take small steps everyday in our life to achieve whatever we put our mind to. There is an Indian woman who lives in Cleveland, Ohio who my Guru declared as one of the finest souls to live in this planet. She has a husband who is a physician and two daughters. She lives unaffected by things happen around us. She has become a total observer as pure consciousness. She is always in a blissful state and her children emulates her mother so much resulting in the teachers from the school sending a note asking why her children are ever happy and contented. Human mind has a tendency to analyze spiritual development as enormous effort, as if one achieves that feet, the mind would lose its significance. I know it is hard to achieve thoughtless awareness constantly but one can practice yoga, meditation, breath control, etc. to become a complete observer at least for a few minutes a day. Habits die hard and therefore, these small steps would lead to constant integrated awareness. Realized souls in this world have reached the heights they have reached not by chance but by constant effort. We don't have to shrug our responsibilities as grahastha but can make effort for our own spiritual development everyday in our lives. What is the point in having materialistic goals if we are not personally progressing in spirituality? We accumulate a lot of wealth and do what? On the contrary, if we make spiritual progress, it helps us to reach the materialistic goals as well.

All the money in the bank, the house and vehicles that we own are all going to be left behind but only the spiritual progress we make will be carried forward. What is deposited in a spiritual bank would remain as a balance always. Let me finish this long response with a story.

A sannyasi goes to Jnanaraja, a great Enlightened King. He asks,“How can you say that you are enlightened and yet enjoy such luxury in yourlife?” Now, you have to understand something about sannyas. If you leaveor escape the outer world hoping to gain the inner world, you start todisrespect those still living in and enjoying the outer world. And not onlythat, you begin to feel jealous and resentful. In essence you are caughtbetween the two worlds. The king replies, “Tonight I am busy attending a party,why don't you stay in my palace. In a day or so we can talk.” The appropriatepreparations are made for the sannyasi and the king instructs that aknife be hung from a thread pointing downwards above the head of the sannyasi’scot. The sannyasi was not able to get any sleep. The whole time he wasafraid that the knife might fall. The king asked him the following day how heslept. “You know very well what you have done, why are you asking me, how couldI even dream of sleeping?” asked the sannyasi. The king laughed. “Whendeath is in front of you, your whole life changes. You see, my wholeConsciousness is different. I can live with all these things in my palace, yetmy inner space is untouched by them because any moment I know that death canhappen.”

The checks and balances are already fixed in our lives by the divine grace. We are given plenty of opportunities to try to improve our lives. All we need to do is to have a determination or will power to do it and put in our effort. We have to remember that when we make one step, divinity in us takes 10 steps towards us. Light remains constant at one place always and depending on which direction we walk, our shadow is behind us or ahead of us. Similarly, if we walk towards the light, our mind would follow us from behind like a shadow.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  5. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the wonderful reply and the example is so appropriate. Yes will try to do so and hope that God guides me in that way.

I am still amazed about the way you write and the detailed replies you give to everyone. Whenever there is a post by you which involves spirituality I never miss to read it, though reply depends on time schedule.

2 people like this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

As far as I know Karma means the sum total of our actions and their consequences and our responsibility for them. Whether energy is positive or negative it depends on our thoughts and actions. True even our mind deserves a detox along with our body.

1 person likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Smt.Jayasala:

My apologies for belated response as I was having difficulty logging in over the weekend. But I read your note before IL website went down.

I can't thank you enough for your wonderful note here explaining your thought process in an excellent manner. My Guru taught us that spirituality is a study about the subject (Jiva) whereas science is a study of the object (world). My purpose of writing this snippet is not to explain spirituality through Law of Thermodynamics but to communicate that every law of science is part of the Divine Being. Perhaps, I didn't articulate it so well to communicate the essence of what I wanted to write.

I totally agree with you that Karma is "cause and effect" and there is no need to give any evidence to prove how Karma works. Today's science is discarded with a new theory developed tomorrow barring a few. Science will have to start with certain assumptions and such assumptions vary from time to time resulting in a developed theory redundant. I don't even call the scientific advancements as inventions and they are merely a discovery of something that already existed under the divine plan. Every science discovery only proves that human mind has learned how something works.

Dr. Hawkins believe that the level of consciousness of all the lives in this planet determines the condition of this world. When everyone achieves a level of 500 out of 1,000, universal love will exist everywhere. The objective is to keep increasing this consciousness collectively. According to him, the level of consciousness is dangerously remaining below 200 that too with so many saints with high consciousness balancing it a little towards a higher number. Therefore, in my view, our collective consciousness is creating an entropy in the world.

In my view whether it is Laws of Thermodynamics or Newton's Laws or Albert Einstein's "E=MC squared", all are subject to the divine law and that is the point I was trying to prove in this snippet. The point I was trying to make was with constant effort to improve the attitude, behavior and character, one can make changes to the world one perceives. Attitude makes an action to be performed skillfully, Behavior makes an action to be performed selflessly and Character makes an action performed lovingly. All three combined become great tools to perform actions and when Jiva performs such actions with no expectation of the fruits (Nishkama Karma), he is in an meditative state closer to Samadhi.

Absolutely. The emphasis is not on the quantum of energy but our mental determination (Sankalpa) creates efficiency which in turn generates more energy.

Very well said. Mind is a great tool that is gifted to us to do anything we aspire to do with determination.

Your response was more comprehensive and much clearer than what I wrote in my snippet. It is truly very educational and it is a blessing that we have you in IL. Your encouragement and responses act as a trigger for me to write more and more as I know that is the only way I will learn from you. I hope someday you would write about your experience of the intellectual feast you have experienced by reading Abirami Bhattar. I am able to connect so many dots when I read your notes and I don't know how to thank you for that.

Viswa

8. Viswamitra

Dear Vaidehi,

You are most welcome. We are all learning from each other. Someone like me at my age trying to be spiritual is not a miracle but the interest you demonstrate in reading and responding is stunning. I am truly humbled by your last paragraph. It is the encouragement from everyone like you that makes me write more and more.

Viswa

9. Viswamitra

Dear Balajee,

Very well said, Balajee. As you know, positive thoughts to perform a good action becomes Sankalpa and when it becomes Sankalpa, it is energized. It is through the mind each one of us perceive the world and for someone who is really upset, the world appears to be cruel whereas for someone who is really happy, the world appears to be a great place.

Viswa

10. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Viswa Sir, a beautiful snippet. I always believed that the development of science is by the grace of God. The inventions that we call are actually discoveries. God intends us to have those capabilities and hence drives the discoveries. I believe that God wants us to develop another planet and hence is driving the exploration of newer planets and helping us get there. So laws derived from these discoveries have complementary application in human development as well. Even science mentions that things happen only when the time, place (environment) is appropriate. On the same note, discoveries happen only when God desires.

However, I am not sure that everyone in the world is held by the same standards with respect to thoughtless consciousness and the endless desires. There are people who are barely able to keep their head above water, taking care of mundane desires and needs, some with financial limitations, some with children requiring special care, some with horrible illness or physical disabilities. The don't have the time or resources to think deep into spirituality. I don't think God expects them to live a life of complete renunciation from desires or maintain good sankaras. Even an acknowledgement of God from such people is enough for God to love them. If need be a mother of a hungry child will steal as well. Would God be angry with such an action? I don't think so. I think God has his own way of distinguishing a right from a wrong, just as public opinion about right or wrong can be different from legal point of view. We can't judge God's action based on our understanding of right or wrong. We may justify ourselves denying some help to someone while God may be expecting us to help that person. So it is difficult to find what's the right thing to do and what not. In the Mahabharata war, Krishna did so many things that we may think it to be unjust but according to Krishna it was just. So, i agree with @vaidehi71 when she says,

I think if we do that, it covers everything. I am sorry if my response is not in agreement with your beautiful snippet, but i lost my cousin sister to cancer today. She had been struggling all her life with financial limitations, losing her husband, etc. With so much pain in her life, i doubt she had time to really think of spirituality of desires, karma etc.

3 people like this.