Endharo Mahanubhavulu andhiriki vandanamu-Sri Muthuswami Dikshidhar-part2

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Feb 10, 2010.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Muthuswami Dikshidhar’s two younger brothers Chinnaswami and Balaswami were sent to Madurai to teach his compositions as for the wishes of some patrons of music. Hence they both were staying there and were teaching to some disciples. Unfortunately Chinnaswami had fallen ill and died at Madurai. Balaswami was stricken with grief and he did not have the courage to break the news to his elder brother fearing that he could not bear the grief. He could not convey the message to him as there were no postal or telegraphic facilities in those days. He went on a pilgrimage to Sethu to have some mental peace. There he met the Raja of Ettaiyapuram who got very much impressed with his vocal music and also violin. Ettaiyapuram Raja invited him to be his asthana vidwan and Baluswami gladly accepted it thinking that it would give him some solace after his bereavement.

After some time Diksthidhar came to know of Chinnaswmi’s demise and Baluswami’s appointment as asthana vidwan at Ettaiyapuram. He was very anxious to see his brother who had to suffer alone the bereavement of his brother. So he started his journey towards Ettaiyapuram with his wives and a disciple in a bullock cart. On the way they had to pass a very barren land which was devoid of rain for many years. His wife got thirsty and she asked the disciple to bring some water. Dikshidhar who was sleeping got up and found the barren dried up land. At once he composed the song Anandamrutha karshini in the raga Amruthavarshini seeking the Divine Grace for rain. Within a short time the sky became dark with clouds and there was a heavy down pour. They had to stop for a while due to the heavy down pour. They were just a few miles away from Ettaiyapuram.

After the rain stopped they continued the journey and reached the destination at night fall. When they reached the palace of Raja of Ettaiyapuram they were given a very warm and hearty welcome.

Balaswami Diksidhar was very glad to see his brother. He prostrated at his elder brother’s feet and sought his blessings. He then introduced him to Raja of Ettaiyapuram. He told the Raja that the songs which he was singing were all composed by his brother.

He then was sobbing and said, “Anna! Please forgive me for not informing you about our brother’s demise. I myself was very much upset and thought you could not control your sorrow if you heard the news. I was just wandering without aim and went on a pilgrimage to Sethu. By chance this Raja had met me and hearing my music he offered me the post of his samasthana vidwan and brought me here.”

Muthuswami Dikshidhar said, “I am happy that the Raja found you and brought you here and is taking care of you. I find the place having a festive atmosphere. Is there any festival to take place?”

The Raja of Ettaiyapuram said, “Please forgive me for taking the liberty of finding a suitable girl for your brother for marriage. I thought that he would become cheerful if he tied the knot to a suitable girl and so arranged for the marriage. The marriage is going to take place tomorrow. I thought of sending your brother with his wife after the marriage to seek your blessings. I am so happy now that you have come in person with your family to bless your brother on his wedding day.”

Then they all had a sumptuous meal specially made for the happy occasion. Dikshidhar saw the Raja looking worried. He asked him for the cause of his worry.

He said that he had made elaborate arrangements for the wedding and suddenly the rain had started, hence he was worried that it would spoil the marriage procession.

Dikshidhar remembered the song he had composed which brought the rains, in which he used the words “Varshaya, varshaya”. He substituted the word,
    “sthambaya, sthambaya” in place of varshaya and told his disciple to sing the song. Then slowly the rain had stopped.

The next day the marriage was celebrated with much pomp and show to everybody’s delight. Dikshidhar stayed with his brother for two months and then returned to Thiruvarur.

He composed Pancha linga krithis, Navagraha krithis, Navavarna krithis and he also composed nine krithis praising Devi Abhayamba the presiding Deity in Mayavaram. He had composed songs in praise of almost all the Siva Vaishnava sthalas of Tamilnad. Apart from guruguha mudra, he had also used the name of the raga in almost all his krithis.

During the twilight period of his life he went to Ettaiyapuram on the invitation of the Raja to attend a marriage. After the marriage he was staying there for some months. He knew that he would live only a few more months.

One day the Samasthana elephant had suddenly become uncontrollable and it ran out of the city and entered the cemetery and was lying down motionless and did not allow anyone to go near. The Raja got worried and thought it was a sign of bad omen. He went to Dikshidhar’s place and asked him what it foreboded.

Dikshidhar who also had fore vision knew that it was the sign for his end the next day. He told the Raja that nothing untoward would befall the royal family. When the Raja heard this he got relieved and returned to his palace.

Next morning after the puja was over Dikshidhar asked his disciples to sing the Purvikayani Krithi “Meenaksi mẻ mudham dehi”. When they sang the phrase “Meenalochani papamochani” in the anupallavi he asked them to repeat it. Then he held up his hands in anjali posture uttering “Sive pahi! Om Namasivaya,” and then mingled with the Lord.

When the Raja came to know the demise of Dikshidhar he cried bitterly and he remembered the previous day’s conversation with him. Then he understood the significance of his words that nothing untoward would happen to the royal family.

The house where Muthuswami Dikshidhar stayed at Ettaiyapuram could be still seen adjoining the houses where Subramanya Bharathiyar and Sivananda Saraswathi stayed when they were at Ettaiyapuram.

Though Dikshidhar had left this world he had left a treasure of soulful songs which would send the carnatic music lovers in ecstasy. His name is etched in golden letters for ever in the carnatic music world. Apart from his brothers he had many disciples who propagated his krithis in the carnatic music world.

Om Sri Nadhadhi Guru Guhaya Nama:

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

my heart becomes heavy when I read about such souls who help everyone and the way they sacrifice tehir lives and finally merge with the higher self or god.

Indeed a great poet and a great life story.

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidya,
    These great souls teach us the the right path to be pursued to attain the goal of our life, which is ultimately to merge with the Lord. By reading the stories of these great souls the seeds of Bhakthi are sown in our hearts.
    Thanks for enjoying the stories,
    Love,
    PS