Endharo Mahanubavulu andhiriki vandanamu- Goswami Tulsidas

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Jul 15, 2009.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Goswami Tulsidas -Part 2

Though Rathnavali admonished her husband she felt bad when he left the place without saying a word. She thought that he was very angry with her. She called out to him to apologise, but Tulsidas did not pay attention to her pleas. In fact he was not angry and he felt that she was his guru who opened his eyes of njana.
    Tulsidas’s mother who felt bad after scolding him was waiting for his return. As he did not return she was very much worried about him and she went to her sambandhi’s house to find out the where about of her son. When she came to know all that had happened she panicked and sent men to search for him.
    Here Tulsidas after leaving his in law’s house straight away went to Benares. He sought the company of saints and sadhus and was deeply immersed in singing bajans and chanting Ramanama.
    Athmaram who was worried about his way ward son came to know about the turn of events. He went to Benares and after seeing the sea change in his son he felt very happy. His worries about his son were over and he felt that his duties were also over. After some time he died peacefully and his wife jumped in Ganges when his last rites were performed.
    Tulsidas performed the last rites of his parents and then he continued his hermit life. He was always chanting Ramanama and was longing for the darshan of Sri Rama. One day when he was walking along the street of Benares suddenly a ghost appeared before him.
    It said, “You are my savior. I was relieved from a curse as soon as the dust particles of your feet fell upon me. I am very happy and very much pleased with you. I want to grant you a boon. Please ask me whatever you want.”
    Tulsidas said,” I do not want any material things. My only great desire is to have darshan of Sri Rama.”
    The ghost said,” I am sorry. I am unable to grant this boon, but I will tell you the person who could fulfill your wish. You go to the Hanaman Mandhir where a Brahmin is doing Ramayana pravachanam daily. You know that “Yathra yathra Raghunatha kirthanam, Thathra Thathra krutha mastha kanchalim, Bhashpavaari paripoorna lochanam, maaruthim namatha Rakshasanthakam.” Wherever there is Ramayana pravachanam Lord Anjaneya will be present there to listen. In this temple also Lord Anjaneya daily comes to listen to Rama katha in the guise of an aged Brahmin with long white beard. You go there and catch hold of Him. He will show you the way to fulfill your desire.”
    Tulsidas went to the Hanuman temple, but he was unable to catch hold of the bearded Brahmin as he managed to slip out in the crowd. This drama was continuing for many days. At last one day Tulsidas succeeded in his attempt and he caught hold of the hands of the Brahmin. But he managed to free himself from the grip of Tulsidas and he ran and entered the house of the upanyasakar’s house. Tulsidas also ran behind him and caught hold of his hands.
    He said,” I know who you are and I am not going to leave your hands. I know that you are Anjaneya and I want you to help me to have darshan of Sri Rama.”
    People who were watching the scene did not know the reality. They got angry with Tulsidas and told him to leave alone the old man. Anjaneya also tried to free himself and run away from there. But Tulsidas’s grip was firm and he ran along with Anjaneya without losing his grip on a rough path filled with stones and thorns.
    At last Anjaneya took pity on him. He said,”Myself being a Rama Bhaktha I am very much pleased with your staunch and deep devotion of Lord Sri Rama. I’ll see that you have darshan of the Lord at your place tomorrow.”
    After ascertaining from Anjaneya that he would keep to His word, Tulsidas returned to his place happily.
    Anjaneya went and prayed to Lord Rama to give darshan to Tulsidas. Lord Rama went in front of Tulsidas as a fakir as He wanted to test Tulsidas’s devotion. Though Tulsidas saw him he did not pay attention to him and kept on meditating. He was feeling sad and very much disappointed that Anjaneya did not keep up his word.
    After a little while Anjaneya came before him. He asked,” Did you have darshan of Sri Rama? Are you satisfied now that your wish has been fulfilled?”
    Tulsidas said,” Are you kidding? I have great faith in you, but you have not kept your word. I was waiting to have the darshan of my Beloved Deity without even blinking my eyes, but He never came.”
    Anjaneya said,” Didn’t you see the old fakir just in front of you a while ago? Lord Rama only appeared before you in the guise of fakir.”
    Tulsidas said,” How can I recognize him as Sri Rama? I only want to have his darshan with his brothers and Sita Devi as he appeared on the day of His enthroning ceremony. I beg you to fulfill this wish of mine without fail.”
    Anjaneya said,” Lord Rama will give darshan to His true devotee. I will beseech Him to give you darshan as for your wish. He will give darshan to you tomorrow evening.”
    He then disappeared. This news had spread out the whole city. The next evening people erected a pandal to welcome the Lord and people started gathering. To the surprise of all Lord Sri Rama came in all glory with Sita Devi, Lakshman, Bharath and Shathrukan along with Hanuman. Tulsidas’s happiness knew no bounds. His eyes were welled with tears and he fell at the feet of the Lord. He said,” Oh my Lord! I am so happy and that I feel that I achieved the aim of my life. I do not want to live in this world any more. Please take me to thy lotus feet.”
    The Lord spoke to him in a sweet voice and a smiling face. He said,” You have some task to finish. You have to teach the people the Bhakthi margam. People can’t understand the Sanskrit version of Ramayan. You write it in Hindi. My true sevak Hanuman will help you in this sacred work. After finishing this work and spreading the Bhakthi margam you will attain mukthi.”
    So saying the Lord disappeared. The people who were fortunate had darshan of the Lord along with Tulsidas. Now Tulsidas’s fame spread far and wide and people believed that he had super-human powers. People showered him with gold, money and materials. Tulsidas built an ashram for sadhus and saints with the wealth and also used to feed the poor and needy.
    One night four sadhus who were staying in the ashram planned to steal valuables as they much as they can. They made bundles and ventured out carrying them. When they came out they saw two young men armed with bows and arrows guarding the ashram. Whichever entrance they tried to escape the two young men appeared there. The sadhus thought that they would share some of the booties with the young men and get out. But the young men caught hold of them and thrashed them and left them before other sadhus and disappeared. The other sadhus took them in front of Tulsidas and told him about the evil deed.
    Tulsidas said to the thieves that they could have taken whatever they wanted in day time. They had only to ask him and he would have given gladly whatever they wanted.They told him that the thrashing they got from the two young men who were guarding the ashram taught them a good lesson and they would never again indulge in such activities.
    Tulsidas was surprised to hear this and asked them to show the two guards and he would punish them for beating them mercilessly. Suddenly Ram and Lakshman appeared before him with bow and arrows on their shoulders. They through their bow and arrows and with folded hands they told Tulsidas that they only punished the sadhus for the evil act and they would accept whatever punishment Tulsidas deemed fit for their act. Tulsidas fell at their feet and apologized for storing materialistic objects and for making them as guards to protect them. He told them that he would build a temple for them with the money and materials and spend the rest of the money in feeding people who visited Benares.
    Tulsidas brought a dead person back to life for the sake of a woman who was widowed and was grieving in deep anguish. We come to know from Thirunjaanasambander’s life also that he brought to life the skeleton of a girl.
    Another miracle happened. Once he visited Brindavan and saw the beautiful image of Lord Krishna. He said,” how can I describe thy beauty? I can’t find words to describe your beauty. Yet Tulsi will bow his head only when You take up bow and arrow in Your hands". The Lord revealed Himself before Tulsidas in the form of Lord Rama with bow and arrows.
    Badsha Akbar came to know about all the miracles which had happened. He came to Benares and requested Tulsidas to get him darshan of Sri Rama. Akbar respected all religions and had great respect for Tulsidas also.
    Tulsidas told Akbar that the Lord would give darshan to a devotee on his own accord, and not on a devotee’s beck and call. But some of the muslims who were with Akbar were abusing Tulsidas as a fraudster and that he should be punished.
    Then Tulsidas prayed Lord Anjaneya to save him from the trouble. Lo and Presto! All the Kishkinthavasis came running ferociously towards the muslims making noise and they all got frightened and started running helter-skelter. Akbar asked Tulsidas why the monkeys were coming instead of Lord Sriram. Tulsidas told him Lord Sriram had sent His Vanara sena first and He would be coming behind. Akbar took apology for the misbehavior of his men and requested Tulsidas to send away the monkeys. Again Tulsidas prayed to Lord Anjaneya and the monkeys disappeared. Akbar stayed with Tulsidas for some time and listened to Ramacharitha Manas sung by the saint himself. Tulsidas explained to Akbar that there was only one God and people could attain Him through their own religion. God incarnates as a man time and again to teach how people should lead their life.
    Lord Anjaneya had helped Tulsidas to compose Ramacharitha Manas. Tulsidas composed Hanuman Chalisa as a tribute to Lord Anjaneya which is so meaningful and beautiful. Tulsidas was propagating Bhakthi margam with his bajans and dhohas until he attained the Lotus feet of Lord Rama.
    Here I am sharing with you a doha of Tulsidas.
    "Tulsi meethe bachan te sukh upjaat chahu or
    Basikaran ek mantra hain pariharu bachan kathor"
    Meaning:
    Sweet speech creates happiness all around. If you want to win over the hearts of others then don't speak harsh words.

Jai Sri Tulsidas!

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

pushpamam,

I was waiting for the second part very anxiously. now happy to have read the whole part 1 and 2 together..will be showing the same to my DS who loves these stories..

Thanks for reminding the doha that was there somewhere in my mind...how true, a few smiles and sweet words truly from ones heart can conquer.....

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Shanthi,
    You have made my day by posting your prompt first FB. I was keeping my fingers crossed thinking that people might not enjoy reading these type of stories. Though there were a few FBs, I was happy to see the number of viewers. Thanks a lot for your encouraging FB. I am planning to write the story of Bhadrachala Ramadas next week.
    Love,
    PS

4. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

Though I have read Tulsidas stories reading it again refreshed my memory. I am very much interested in this type of stories and got totally absorbed in it. This helps me to keep me focussed on GOd.
    You have good followers .Keep posting. Infact I do have 3 volumes of Bhaktha Vijayam a treasure I received from my mom .

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Chitra,
    Thanks for your encouraging words. Writing these stories makes me always think about the Lord and His glory. This is a kind of relaxation for me after going through the mundane daily cores.
    Love,
    PS

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Pushpa ma'am,
    Read both the parts and enjoyed it..
    Thanks for sharing this great story with us.

sriniketan

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sriniketan,
    Glad to know that you enjoyed the story.
    Love,
    PS

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear pushpa mam,

enjoyed both the parts...such stories will never loose their charm:) thanks for sharing
    love
    Mindi

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Mindi,
    Thank you for your sweet appreciation.
    Love,
    PS

10. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Oh mami you posted the 2nd part too. I was waiting for the same. Lively narration... enjoyed reading the same. This will be become the bed time story of my dd. Thanks a lot mami.