1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Endearments Enliven and Enrich Everyday life !

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I am sure you will all agree that the essence of life revolves around what we mean to others. Feelings are the language of the heart and will be heard only when expressed.

We need not be poets or great writers. But an endearment from a parent, spouse, child or a friend does give us a new lease of energy, as though! It destresses one completely and restores to us the feeling of being wanted, even if our mind is at its lowest ebb.

I am very well aware, this is not a common practice in our culture – particularly South Indian culture. We are, undoubtedly, an inhibited lot! It is not easy to break out of our self-imposed shackles and be more liberal with our gestures and words.

Our stress in everyday life is never ending with work pressure, family problems, financial constraints… the list is endless. Our commitments go on increasing and we get little or no time to care and get cared for.

I recently read in a survey report that one hug a day beats stress! Having lived all my life in Chennai, I cannot vouchsafe for this statement, you know why! In India, hugging is considered still a Western concept. If friends who hug each other belong to the opposite sexes, many conclusions are drawn by the onlookers. Many are still skeptical to accept, hugging as a simple gesture. In our country we hug our children till they are around ten years old or so. Thereafter hugging becomes occasional even with our own children.

Our health issues increase more because people do not have time for their near and dear ones. They are caused more because of our emotional bankruptcy. Most of our psychological problems do not need a counselor. By talking to a close friend, we can often get a solution and gestures like hugging, patting and holding hands play a major role in beating stress. The problem may not be solved but we feel more reassured in mind. The psychologists declare with statistics to prove how human touch reduces stress, but in our society an act like hugging which should be spontaneous requires reasons and explanations, very often!

I am sure you will all remember Kamalahasan’s “katti pidi vaidyam” in the movie Vasool Raja!
    Even Bollywood popularised this concept of calming down people with “jaadu ki jhappi” in the movie Munnabhai MBBS.

Now, coming to our country, rather the Indian context, to be more precise, let us at least become more liberal with endearments, unique to human beings. Let us no more be prudes, but accept that a simple endearment like, My Dear, My love, My sweetheart or in Tamil, Kanna, Thangam, Chellam etc just lifts up our morale!

There is no magic in any of these words, but each word is magical for sure!

Do you agree with me, my dear friends?

Love,
    Chithra.

sindmani likes this.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Ofcourse endearments are magical. And they help lighten our day our moods and even our tasks. It is so uplifting to get a call from a friend or family or even come across them so as to spend a few minutes to chitchat. It is even more helpful to us if we are stressed if our friend talks nicely and then we for a few moments forget the tension and stuff and relax. After that its easier to relax. Nowadays I am sure even south indians hug each other when meeting and more and more women do talk to each and help lighten each others stress by understanding and ofcourse dear words too.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi chithmam,

Endearments...mystical source of energy....a hug, as the kids wake up..with a i love you, a have a nice day..hug to them makes their whole day very great...
    a small hello dear, a I love you ....everything makes life great...

we have few friends, who just come and hug... Even veda's patti (95) hugs me tight...to show her love...i forget all that happened long long ago....

we have made I love you and hugs...a common sight in our house..that the whole family follows it...(of course as you say there are some who look at us, as if we are some specimens..)

Even a small tight press on the hand is great gesture of showing your friend that you are there for her....
    I could go on and on....

4. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Hi Chith
    Yes you are right to come out those self imposed chains it will really take time. A touch has more effect than words spoken. It gives us the most reassurance than any thing else. And some are very gifted in expressing their feelings that way. I always admire them.

Love
    vidhi

5. Chitvish

that we have changed that much, well.......
    My generation has more prudes undeniably. Even V will get a shock if I hug a friend, not that he will bother least. But I will be springing a surprise definitely on him !
    My grand daughters, hug me when they enter our house as well as, when they leave. But never will Ruby or Kumar do it. The only explanation is, old habits die hard, however much we want to change !
    Believe me, AC, all my life, I have received endearments only now & ofcourse that too from ILites ! That was what prompted me to write this blog !
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. Chitvish

Your house seems to be typical of the present generation & very nice for a change !
    That is because you & Veda belong to the generation next to me.
    I fully agree that a tight squeeze of the hand from a friend, particularly when we are a wee bit low, gives us such a reassurance.
    I really want to shed my inhibitions, but not easily done , much as I would like to !
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Chitvish

You said it right that a touch can convey much more love & friendship than words.
    Yes, some can express themeselves very beautifully which is very endearing !!
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithu,
    I love to do that to my kids and her friends, my own friends are used to my endearing ways by now. All this I learnt from a college pal who is a rock solid support to me for years. A sqeeze of the hand, a pat on the shoulder go a long way to make your day, I vouch for this.When my friend got married recently, I surprised her with a gift although she wanted nothing. We were standing on the road outside the mall and she gave me such a big hug, with tear filled eyes that will remain fresh in my memory for long.

9. Chitvish

now with you - we met just recently. Why did'nt you give me a hug ? Do I look the stiff type or is it the oldie syndrome that made you hold yourself ?
    Well, next time, we meet you, a hug from me is a promise. Be prepard !!
    Ofcourse, your Chithu is equally endearing, J !
    Love,
    Chithu.

10. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithu,
    With due apologies to you, I did give you a nice squeeze on your shoulder, before I left your home.How could I not????? Promise you a better, bigger hug next time. Waiting starts!!!!!!!!!