1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Endearing Oryza sativa

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Megalife, Nov 5, 2012.

1. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

hey Mega..
    that was so cute.. Now I can't imagine the the innocent rice or as you want to call Oryza sativa can be so very complicated to make!!!...
    I tell you a trick.. never bother to make it with the starch intact.. always put loads of extra water in an oversized vessel and once you find its done just simply drain off the water... and VOILA.. super duper steam rice is ready!!.. whenever I try to make any other exotic rice I simply trust the electric rice cooker ... so NOW you got hang off it.. good so when I visit you I expect a fab biryani.. what say.. or else I'm pretty fond of Khichdi also..
    kelly

2 people like this.
  2. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

My dear Mega,

I do not think your daughter needs an excuse for skipping cooking.......she is a product of new era.....her husband would have to live up to her expectations his whole life.....like he would have to keep the list of all her favorite restaurants handy in case she changes her mood.......

and he would have to google for quite sometime making sure which restaurant serves the best rice which is not soupy, pasty lump.indigestible........hahaha

Love,
    Bhavna

1 person likes this.
  3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dearie Kelly
    wasn't that an anticipatory bail? Ha....ha....you are so sure my biryani is gonna end up as a kichidi........I like the way you think.
    Will be my pleasure to treat you to some awesome biryani.....my Bangladeshi maid makes it pretty well......if you pardon her for the amount of oil ( I have hidden the ghee dabba from her). So let me know when you pass by......and then Kelly will have a "real face" in my imaginations.
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  4. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

My dear bhavana
    If I am her mother, I am going to churn her into a fine women .....who knows a bit of cooking, bit of sports, housekeeping, bit of moves and songs and to top it all great academics, God willing......btw.....guess who loves cooking and experimenting? ..my son.....he fixes some interesting starters and simple deserts .....so even if his wify doesn't cook....he will live.
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mega
    Atlast you come back with mega snippet...
    I too dint know cooking when I married my Dh but poor guy ( I thought him to be then) he ate whatever I cook until one day on the sly he called his friend for lunch at our home without intimating me the first.. Thats when I decided to learn to cook fast
    The moong at my native are so good and yields to pressure cooker whistles but the one at the place I landed after marriage was such hardy one (Maybe it had determined what if you have come to no PIL house i am there to give you hard time) dint boil well, in my enthu to cook n serve I dint notice it wasnt boiled well... the next attempts too was failure then my mom in her letter told me to soak before cooking it in pressure cooker thats how I mastered my cooking....

1 person likes this.
  6. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

My dear Mega,

It is just for funnnnnnnnnnnn.....hahaha

Love,

Bhavna

1 person likes this.
  7. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dearest bunny rabbit
    Uncooked moong, what a trigger for uric acid and kidney stones . You poor dh, I shudder to think what he must have endured ! Poor men....the price they have to pay to get married!
    Thank you for venting out....ha......lol.........these memories do make us curl our lips in a smile.
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Mega
    I waited for five days for a male of the ILite species to come up with a FB. I saw Kamalji promptly giving a like to your hilarious tryst with avitas azyro (just to show off that I know this raw material for glue even backwards!) but the clever fellow has stayed away from the risk of writing a FB knowing that hell hath no fury like a woman scorned! I expected RGS to come with his tribute in poetry but it is most likely that he is still looking for a word to rhyme with sativa. Balaji is probably busy looking for some way to bring in a Swamiji in his FB. So I decided that I had waited enough for a male response here and I have come to bell the cat myself. One of the main reasons is that I cannot resist writing a FB to Mega for too long!

I am told that Rice is one of the toughest things to raise in the fields. The farmers toil at it in extreme weather conditions and we hardly know the pains they take to deliver it in almost a 'ready to consume' form. From there to its ultimate avatar, it is just three steps. Now I understand that they are not just three steps but three momentous steps. In fact now I know that these three steps are a terse summary of all the pains taken to raise it. The only difference is that the farmers did it in open fields and the cooking of it takes place in cozy kitchens. But does it take away the intensity of all the painful processing?

I am amazed that I have consumed cooked rice for seventy long years without ever realising all the tears shed in raising it and cooking it. What a heartless person I am! And all the while, I have discussed the daily menu with my wife talking of what should go with the day's rice and not considering rice as the major dish at all. I have just 'Taken it for granted'. If I had been RGS, I would have lamented about it in a burst of poetry!

Mega! How can I ever thank you for opening my eyes? After 45 years of married life, if I start looking at my wife with new love and admiration, the credit should go entirely to you. Cooking rice continuously for 45 years is no mean achievement indeed!
    Sri

6 people like this.
  9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Kya baat hain Mega! Now it is proven why you have a 'mega' to your name. You have brought in the inimitable grand Cheeniya to your thread with a flick of a little rice grain!:thumbsup

Jeeti raho beti, few grains of yellowed Oryza sativa on your head!:rotfl

L, Kamla

2 people like this.
  10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhargavi and Mega,

"Mercy drops round us are pleading........But for the showers we need "---So sweet!

See, the mercy drops are created like dew drops..your posts being the sun plus moisture that create them!! Moisture filled clouds do not seem to exist on my top floor!!:)

Thanks and hugs to both of you!

L, Kamla

2 people like this.