1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Encouraging Play, Fine Motor, Speech

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Kaput, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Yes.start with GFCf diet if possible.
    Now I do ayurveda also.

Kaput likes this.
  2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Kaput - Brushing teeth is a big issue with all ASD kids I know. I think you need ABA help with it. Seems like you are already doing some sort of positive reinforcement method but once you start aba you will get a lot of tips for brushing. My son now lets us brush his teeth with a mechanical brush - once upon a time I didn't think it would be possible. A ton of work for sure but she will get there. Don't worry.

Brown bear and goodnight moon was our first foray into the world of books. Something about the repetition that holds their interest. Btw, we didn't see any interest till later, the fact that she is showing so much of interest right now is amazing. Slowly you can introduce small social stories. My son got hooked onto curious George and George going on the plane, train, to the museum, zoo etc has helped me a lot in giving him context before we embark on anything new.

A word of caution, my son gets into an obsession very soon. He has echolalia and will repeat his book over and over again. If you start seeing that, put that one away and use another book for a few weeks. It's hard to demarcate between interest and obsession. Even now, I have trouble figuring it out. By the time I do he's going on and on and on. With all the devices available, he loves to work on them but then it becomes an obsession. Maybe it's a boy thing but I'm very cautious about what I use as a reinforcer. Not just tv shows or books even letters, numbers, spellings, conversations etc.

Every time I meet a parent with a child on the spectrum, I ask them to vary the language they use with the child. Our initial aba was not a great fit and they used one phrase in one way only and made sure we did the same at home. As a result he has memorized those things and it's like a rote answer for him. For e.g., If you ask him "Something with a cord is" he'll say "TV" but if you ask him what has a cord he won't know. Or show him a tv and ask for the cord and he won't know. I had to do all that supplementation at home. Now with a new bcba and aba person I know that a more naturalistic approach would have helped him better. So be cautious of that too.

Btw - this may be too much info for now but I'm just typing up stuff when I find the time so even I can revisit later.

Thanks for starting the thread. It's useful for a lot of folks.

Reg biomed and diets, it's too much all at once. I suggest you start aba and slowly incorporate other things. Honestly, I still do only a clean diet with all organic stuff and avoid gluten because my daughter has gluten sensitivity but other things just make my brain explode.

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

There is seriously so much one can learn just reading various threads in the IL forums. What never ceases to amaze me is the amount of information floating around and the camaraderie in the threads. Love the way everyone pitches in with their experiences. Like Kaput says, we don't all have 'villages' to help us care for our young ones and in such absence, IL fills in the gap beautifully. :)

Congratulations Kaput. Your thread has been nominated by Gauri for FP of the month.

Satlak, Laks09, Kaput and 2 others like this.
  4. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Saturday: Went to the kids fitness center, then had occupational therapy session. Then a picnic at a location an hour away. Came back and went to a birthday party.
    They had a lot of balloons at the party, so DD played with those and kept running around in the room. When it was time to sit down and eat, she wanted to bang the spoons on the table. I took her away to distract after some 'looks' but she kept running around the room and trying to steal spoons from other tables. Finally we put her in the stroller and distracted with balloons and she ate some food. She had fun.

The occupational therapy homework this week is to try to put rectangles into shape sorter (since triangle is frustrating her, maybe square is easier), put mail in mail box toy, start stacking blocks on top of each other - with magnet blocks, and a largest and tiniest stacking cup.

Fine motor:
    stacking cups - putting in, putting on top
    Put mail in the mail box toy (this needs more fine motor control than she is used to)
    stack with magnet blocks
    mini spray bottle

Play:
    Rhythm sticks
    Peekaboo with play tunnel
    Songs with actions (same list as previous post)

Laks09, Agniamber11 and Sunshine04 like this.
  5. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Sunday:
    We have a small park in the neighborhood and it has a slide and a sand pit. Tried to get her to dig in the sand and scoop and dump sand. She doesn't have the strength in hands to properly dig/scoop. She can grasp tightly and can carry things but other activities like these are a challenge to her. I am hoping that the scooping motion will eventually help in feeding herself with spoon.

Fine motor:
    Put mail in the mail box toy
    stack with magnet blocks
    mini spray bottle
    Digging with stick in sand
    Scooping and dumping sand

Play:
    Rhythm sticks
    Songs with actions

Laks09, Agniamber11 and Sunshine04 like this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Kaput - Have you found the dominant hand yet? I'm still hesitant to "make" him do anything because I'm still not sure. We had an OT who forcibly made him use his right hand. At the time I thought it was ok since he was close to five and hadn't picked a hand yet but now I see that may have been a mistake. I just have him use whichever hand he picks the toy with at the beginning and just make him finish with the same hand he started with.

Kaput and Sunshine04 like this.
  7. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

DD's favors her left side. e.g. Left hand has pincer grasp but right hand still rakes. Initiates climbing up and down the stairs with left foot. We know the slight right side weakness is due to her medical issues. I try to get her to use her right hand at least once when eating finger foods but I don't push it. I think left will emerge to be her dominant hand, but not sure yet.

Laks09 likes this.
  8. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

6/19:
    Been ignoring books except for meal time, so read about 10 books today. Placed book on a bench, sat a couple of feet away. Asked her to bring the book to me to read. After some prompting, she got the book to me and sat in my lap to read. By the end, didn't even need to be prompted. I guess now she officially loves books.
    Somehow this turned out to be very easy. Goal was to get her to initiate a request by bringing over objects to me. Past weeks we worked on her pointing to a bunny and me singing/tickling with the bunny in response, so that might have helped.

Fine motor:
    mini spray bottle
    stacking cups - putting in and on
    stacking magnet blocks
    Shape sorter with circle and rectangle (I tape the other holes to make it easy initially)

Play:
    Tried matching colors when reading brown bear, probably too advanced for her
    songs with actions

Laks09 likes this.
  9. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

6/20: DD's play therapy session was at a park. We tried to make her go to things other than swings. She kept staring around and a few times waved at other kids!!!! Past 3 months, we have been trying to teach her to wave and she started to just now consistently wave Hi and Bye to us. But she has never paid any attention to the kids at her weekly fitness center class, preferring to be in her own world, so this is interesting. She tends to do something for a week and then forget it, so have to see if we can keep this up.
    I sprained my ankle in the park and did nothing else.

10. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

6/21: We went to park and she was in her own world, didn't look at anyone.

Read 10 books, DD picked up and gave me the book each time.

Play:
    Rhythm sticks
    Songs with actions

Fine motor:
    stacking cups - putting in and on
    stacking magnet blocks
    Shape sorter with circle and rectangle
    put mail in mail box toy