1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Encouraging Play, Fine Motor, Speech

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Kaput, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Trying to pick myself up after some distressful times. Maybe posting here will help me be consistent.
    My daughter is starting to combine three words. Speech clarity has improved. She doesn't care about books anymore. Her tantrums are out of control.

This month I am going to try to get her to drink water and recognize lower case alphabets.
    Letter recognition is not really important to me at this time but seems easier than anything else I can think of.
    She doesn't drink any water now, so good luck to me.

Laks09, Sunshine04 and kaniths like this.
  2. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Water - 5 oz. I think a fluke. Usually she throws the bottle when offered or spits the water. Today I sat her at her table, kept my phone out of reach and played videos in the phone. Did not give her the bottle, kept offering sips. She drank the 5oz in two sittings .. about 25 min. It is going to be hard to fade the videos, but for now it is more important that she gets used to drinking water.
    We previously tried mixing juice in water, but she refuses to drink if it is not sweet enough, so trying to avoid mixing juice this time.

I could not find the alphabet flash cards because my home is a complete mess.

+ Sorting colors, two piece puzzles, drawing lines (only scribbles now)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Laks09 likes this.
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Nice to hear your updates. Why does she not drink water??.

Kaput likes this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Taking breaks is essential for your well being. Happy mom = happy child. I hope you are able to find ways to get breaks and do something just for yourself. You are doing everything right! Don't doubt yourself.

Wonderful news! Hope she is able to convey her wants and needs clearly soon.

This is distressing for you but know that it is developmentally appropriate. Not doing what Mom wants them to do and trying to test boundaries. I hope you are trained by her therapists to deal with the behaviors. If not, do get the behaviors under control by getting help from her therapists. They tantrums are her way of communicating when she cannot have a back and forth argument with you. Giving her words (I'm upset, I'm sad, I don't want to etc) may also help her verbalize her feelings and may give her a sense of control easing the behaviors.

One of mine didn't do water. We resorted to ice chips. Even now chilled and iced water is the only thing that works. Strategies strategies strategies. My friend uses ice trays with things like blue berries in the water so he eats the ice and berries to get some water in.

Good luck!

Gauri03, Kaput and Sunshine04 like this.
  5. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Payback time? :tearsofjoy: I never drank water as a kid or even a young adult. :BangHead:

6. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Hey, thanks!
    Yes, I get ideas from therapists. Her tantrums are not as bad with me, but her other caregivers don't follow through and her problem behaviors are getting strengthened.
    I am tired of nannies. Planning to put her in a day care with ABA therapist as support, hopefully insurance approves the extra hours.

Laks09 likes this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Fingers crossed Kaput. I stay home but can empathize. I hope you get the shadow hrs covered by ins and get her into a good day care.

Kaput likes this.
  8. Sunshine04

Haha. Karma is getting back,is it??
    Does she not like taste of water.
    Have you tried coconut water. My daughter loves it .lots of juice also harms the teeth.

Kaput likes this.
  9. Sunshine04

It will be easy if you could get helper for cleaning, cooking.
    With nannies, please be careful. Lots of abuse going on . Fit nanny cams all over the house.
    For us the public school didn't allow shadow ABA therapist. But daycare may be different.

Kaput likes this.
  10. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Yesterday and today - 5 oz water :beer-toast1:

Yesterday and today - various other flash cards.. still can't find the alphabet ones

kaniths, Laks09 and Gauri03 like this.