1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Encouraging Play, Fine Motor, Speech

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Kaput, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

In the absence of a 'village' to help raise my kid, looking to gather some ideas to promote play/fine motor/communication skills.
    My daughter does have therapies in these areas, but I find that sometimes I miss some obvious things due to not being familiar with kids (except her)
    I intend to log what I do every day for 3 months, much like a fitness forum thread. It will be great if anyone can chime in with some ideas.

Sandycandy and sindmani like this.

2. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

My daughter is 2 but delayed by maybe one year or more.

Fine motor: (DD just started to be able to release objects on purpose and still throws rather than places the object)
    1. She put the ball in the Gumball machine toy 20 times. Usually she prefers to throw the ball and run away, so 20 is a record.
    2. Placed one cup inside another stacking cup.
    3. Shape sorter - putting the circle in, but unable to figure out putting triangles in, so throwing them and trying to run. I am going to only make her do 1 triangle with lots of help for every 3 circle attempts this week.
    4. Tried to get her to squeeze a mini spray bottle, was having none of it
    5. Buckles - put the buckle on her toy together 5 times

Play/Speech:
    1. Read 4 books. With each book, asked her to point at objects on 5 pages and pat object on 1 page. Gave her 2 chances to comply for each and helped her to do it the 3rd time
    2. Tried to make her sign for 'give'. She mostly does not do it, but does it for water
    3. Wheels on bus with actions (using a toy bus with actions: spinning wheels, opening door, putting baby on bus, mom says shh)
    4. Wheels on bus with animal sounds
    5. Sing 'Here comes Peter cottontail' with tickles an the end, if she points at bunny toy

3. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

Kindly review this post: Bad Relationship With My H

In addition, please see Free to Learn: Why Unleashing the Instinct to Play Will Make Our Children Happier, More Self-Reliant, and Better Students for Life.

Kaput likes this.
  4. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Thanks. My DD has ASD and it takes a lot of effort to draw her out. So a group setting has been difficult to set up.
    She has limited fine motor skills due to other medical conditions and they impact her play skills. So we are targeting very small goals in those areas, one at a time.

5. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

OK. Thanks for sharing.

Kaput likes this.
  6. Agniamber11

Agniamber11 Bronze IL'ite

If you have Parent Support Group for Autism, it may help you for ideas. Speech Therapy and ABA therapy should work for your kid.
    Also if practical things are given to kids they love doing it. eg: watering the plants from the bucket, tying shoe lace, picking up flowers and putting in a small basket, hanging doll clothes on cloth line etc.

you can also see this :18 Fine Motor Activities for Preschoolers - Mess for Less

Hope this helps.

sindmani and Kaput like this.
  7. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

She has been in speech therapy for a year now. I changed her SLP recently and we are targeting pre-speech skills like pointing, joint attention, etc. She starts ABA soon, I am excited about that. Part of the reason for this thread is for my own accountability and for tracking, to make sure I am following through with her 'homework' given by her therapists and that there is progress, however minute.
    There are local support groups but unfortunately, they meet during the day and I cannot make it then..
    Thanks for the link. Currently, that list is a little too advanced for DD, I will bookmark it.

Sunshine04 and Agniamber11 like this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Kaput - Since you have a very early DX, I advice you to do as much naturalistic aba as possible. The discrete trial aba which lots of BCBAs use makes the child memorize and do things rote. Not necessarily build thinking skills or comprehension.
    Wrt SLPs, you spoke about sign language and pre verbal skills so I assume she is pre verbal. You need an SLP well versed with ASD and having some ABA skills. I've had no success with SLPs who don't have the skills and experience. SLP in my experience definitely need the exposure to ASD kids to be successful. Since she is only two signs along with PECS should help her a lot.
    She is still too young for joint attention. More than books and attempts and corrections(that's how the skill becomes rote) I would do things like bubbles(sign for more looking at you), going on walks and pointing to real objects, rolling a ball back and forth, playing with a music making toy back and forth(making her look and sign before you push the button and give her the turn), tickle game - tickle and then make her look and request. At the beginning just making eye contact I would reinforce. Slowly I added in the request . This worked better for joint attention than the books and pointing.
    I put fine motor on the back burner. My biggest concern was receptive and expressive language. Fine motor has come with age and maturity. I still don't work with fine motor skills. Receptive language is kicking my rear.

Play skills - give it a big push around 4 with an NT peer who is around three. It helps a lot to have a therapist intervene.

This is all my experience. Do feel free to disregard if it doesn't work for your kid.

Btw, I heard the Duke clinical trial for cord blood infusions is still looking for two year olds. It's officially closed but they haven't found two year olds. If you are interested, do look into it. It seems to have no ill effects and is helpful according to phase I parents.

Sunshine04 and Kaput like this.
  9. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

That's interesting, thanks.. I did not bank cord blood... With her other medical issues, it is probably not an option anyway.

Laks09 likes this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

They are offering donor cells too in this phase. Reg the comorbid conditions, I was told they are taking it on a case by case basis, as long as it isn't genetic. They did extensive gene testing to rule us in.

Kaput likes this.