1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Empty Nester And Thinking Of Divorce

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by lavi2016, Sep 3, 2021.

1. lavi2016

lavi2016 New IL'ite

Yes, I was married off immediately after my engg after resisting since my 3rd year of engg. My parents kind of know his over obedience towards his family, and their domination because they have faced themselves with my fil. Fil always has something to comment about my family, infact my parents also not invite them unless it is a big occasion. But I don't think they have any idea things are that bad, my parents don't interfere at all, and being married early I feel I didn't have the wisdom to handle such people. Till then education, friends were all life. Divorce would not be taken easily, probably noone will even support.

1Sandhya likes this.
  2. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Well in that case you should factor all this in your thinking. I don’t mean to discourage you, but rather that thinking things through will help you take a decision to land in a better place instead of ending up worse than before.
    Now right away option 3 looks more unlikely for example. Aged parents may not like to be confronted with reality of divorced daughter daily and prefer to keep it under wraps. As in do what you want but we don’t want to deal with it. You could also slowly start telling them what’s going on to prepare them since you say they have no idea things are so bad. That’s another thing to consider.
    Perhaps you may decide that @Anbhu suggestion or a version of option 2 is your best bet. In general, being a divorced single in US is easier or so I’ve heard. No one cares. It’s so common. The laws are also more equitable. There’s no real need for you to go to a different city either. All you need is to move out. A trial separation may your best bet to start off with and then you can see how it goes.

3. sangeeta098

sangeeta098 Bronze IL'ite

what about a 4th option ?
    Continue staying like housemates. As you said, have him contribute as & when you need like getting sick. Let the kids have the benefit of staying together. Take your focus away from the differences & put your energy in grooming yourself & doing things that make you happy. Make more friends. Get professional with him. Treat him like you would treat a colleague at workplace. Just detach from him. Develop your spiritual side. Dont expect but you will definitely notice a change in him after a while.

lavi2016, radv and jyothishri like this.
  4. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

Have you discussed with your husband about what is going on in your mind. Is he really that bad a person that you wish to move away either temporarily or permanently. You started feeling alone only after the kids moved out right. So I dont think it is right to give such a big shock to your husband who would not have even thought of separation in his dreams. You could try to keep yourself engaged with something or the other so that you can have a busy life just like the way it was when your kids were around.

If you really want to get out of the negative feeling you can consider option1 and give hints to your husband about separation. If he too is equally bored with you, or you both dont want to bring out any changes , then you can both agree to a time limit say 1 year or 2 years and after that if you still feel the same, you can select option2.

Option 3 looks a bad idea as of now. You could bring your parents to US and let them see for themselves, how boring your life is and then discuss with them about divorce. They might understand you better then.

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You have mentioned being financially secure and will be so even if you stop working. You don't have to respond with details here but make sure the feeling of financial security is based on some hard calculations for the future that include possible worst case scenarios.

Divorce itself can be expensive and splitting big assets can mean selling/liquidating items that'd benefit from staying as is for another decade or two.

A couple who have enough to retire together but decide to divorce can have to put in some more years of employment.

Let's say you divorce or somehow separate your finances, and your husband continues to give away money. If he ends up needing money, your kids can expect you to help him. Speaking of kids, divorce can mean that the money you leave for the kids will be lesser (not that this should matter).

I am sorry for what you are going through. The hurt is of its own kind when the issue is people outside the marriage.

From what I've seen in real life and read here, empty nesters, especially women, seriously contemplating divorce has gone up in numbers. Some do so by choice as they want to wait till children are gone from home. For some, there becomes more time available to reflect on the state of the marriage and dissatisfaction rears its head for the first time.

Amica and KashmirFlower like this.
  6. lavi2016

lavi2016 New IL'ite

I know how the discussion would go. He would just say it is because of me it is like that. Discussion won't go anywhere. His family has stoked his male ego enough, that he wants to wait until I come around myself. Probably we will go into our graves carrying our egos, or things will get better when at the tail end of our lives when everyone abandons us.
    For now I am just working on getting busy with my life and so far it is going good. Also, planning to take month long vacations as often as possible to India. I guess if I find my emotional support from other sources, can live this detached life.

7. lavi2016

lavi2016 New IL'ite

You got it right, dissatisfaction rears its head once you are not overwhelmed with kids responsibilities. I am sure many Indian couples have lived that way and are living even now, detached and engaged in spiritual or other matters.
    We have been very generous with our relatives, worked hard all these years and retiring comfortably is not a problem. Problem would be if I eventually yield and give the control to his family, they are financially irresponsible and can make us forget about our retirement. Already had few experiences where we lost lakhs of rupees. I never had problem helping out in real need and will not have now too. We were in our 20's and gave up lot of stuff so we could buy a house for them before planning our kids. We know our responsibilities and have taken care, imo now it is time for us to take care of our own kids responsibilities, and think of our retirement. Husband doesn't want to stop the outflow, and for him being the good son is more important than anything.
    My dissatisfaction though is with husband and how he is bringing his family in our relation.

8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Hey OP,
    It seems like there is a basic difference of opinion between you two. I like that you are thinking through your options, but even before divorce there are a ton of options. It's just that we tend to think about marriage and divorce as black and white with no gray in between. In reality, the state offers counseling and a ton of mediation services for couples. Till now it seems the disagreement is between you two, and while he has made his position clear, have you? Does he clearly understand this issue is a deal breaker for you and you are now exploring other alternatives. Somehow I feel he doesn't, that he is unaware. It could be because it is so clear in your mind that you think its clear to him also?
    The easiest option, in my opinion, is what Pavi suggested. Take a job in a different state and move there. It will be effectively a temporary separation. He will also get an idea of what life without you around entails. In the ensuing conversations you can bring up your dissatisfaction. It will be clear to him what your stance is and he may come to his senses. Threatening something as long as spouse is quiet or submissive is very different from threatening same actions when spouse has one foot out the door. Get my drift? think about this option also check what marital counseling services are available in your state. When forced to be accountable to a 3rd party for his thinking, often many people realize what nonsense they are spewing or how unrealistic it is.

lavi2016 and lavani like this.
  9. lavi2016

lavi2016 New IL'ite

We did talk over the weekend and I am still trying to get a grip over the whole situation and what it means for me and kids. We both don't have a problem with each other, other than his undying loyalty towards his family. Several thoughts come into mind, what if something happens to me in the next 5-10 years, his relatives will take over and interests of kids will definitely be compromised. What if I fall sick, can I rely on him as support system? It is very hard to be cautious and on guard with a person you are living 24X7. I had a conversation with a cousin, and she knowing both of us, just thinks I should stick my stand, take care of my health and wait for kids to get their feet on ground. Once kids settle and as his parents are too old to interfere, probably I will feel less insecure. I am not sure about separation too now. as that would give his family more opportunity for interference.

1Sandhya likes this.
  10. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

You wont gain anything by waiting longer. You'll just get older. Dont be so scared of his family's interference. Under our laws your rights as a wife and domestic partner are protected. Maximum they can influence him to be obstinate but even that will go against him if it's unreasonable as you fear.
    A living will clarify some of your concerns. Look into it. Talk to a good lawyer and tie up all the assets so they are under the control of the parents and the kids alone and no outsider can interfere. Living will means you have to think through all the permutations and combinations of the what-if scenarios and designate who will take charge of what and when. It can really help clarify things in your minds
    If you intend to stick to your stand then go talk to someone. Either in marriage counseling or a legal person. You can go alone. Your concerns are valid and you are not wrong to seek answers. Speaking to a knowledgeable person and a disinterested 3rd party about your concerns will help you understand your options better. Some of these laws vary from state to state. Really all these services exist for us to utilize but we either don't know or hesitate to use them - it's a pity. Another advantage of counseling is that it creates a paper trail for you and the counselor will also give their recommendation in case you end up in divorce court as you fear.