1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Emotional Eating how to aviod it .

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by nigu, Nov 22, 2014.

1. nigu

nigu Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I'm a emotional eater .
    I try to eat when I'm sad or upset.
    This has made me to gain lots of pounds.

Any tips to avoid it .

2. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

Remove all junk food from your eyesight. Keep things that are healthy or things that will not put on weight handy. Like fruits, veg(CUT carrots). Drink water whenever you feel emotional. Go for a walk. Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. blissofmylife

blissofmylife Silver IL'ite

Stop buying junk food.. I have also, experienced this. However, it is difficult to restrict, when we have it at home.. So I stopped buying.. it is easier that way..

4. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

When you feel low, try to burn calories by doing your favorite workout or try new workout with good music till you come out of that feeling it really works for me...

1 person likes this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Exercise helps me a lot. Is there a favourite activity you have? If you find something you love doing, you can make yourself do that activity instead of sit and eat. I love to dance(I'm horrible at it though). I enrolled in a gym for Zumba class and even now when I'm ultra stressed, that class is a stress buster. I run too but I have more fun at Zumba with the group and I do that when I'm down. I get an instant elevation in my mood and I'm not home to eat plus I get back and know I have to put proper food in my body because I worked out. By the time I'm done eating my healthy meal, that junky cake I left for later, I don't even want it.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

when you are able to identify the cause for the binge, it is half the journey crossed nigu.

maintain a food diary. so that you will be able to find the pattern. is it due to some emotional distress that you are trying to swallow and not able to confront. a situation that is not manageable. or if you are lonely..

keep a reminder for your self, on the fridge and places where you keep food., that by grabbing that piece of food, you are feeding the emotions more than you are helping yourself. that you are stronger than the emotion.

identify the emotion that makes you do it. try your best to keep yourself occupied. be it a hobby, be it exercise, that takes you away from that feeling. the key here is to divert yourself once you find that feeling taking you over.

I would not say don't stock food. but look at healthy alternative food. instead of keeping that chocolate or savories..how about keeping some carrots, celery stalks and fruits.

and the most important thing is forgiving yourself. you have eaten a big bar of chocolate in the morning during your sad moment, then don't beat yourself with your guilt through the the day for that. it is not going to help. instead, identify you reason and work with it and work along with it.

i always believe working against your body does not help, because there is always going to be a conflict between your body and thoughts. working with your body, listening to the moods, the reasons and the signals, and working it out.

all the best..and if none of these help, you need medical intervention to know if there is something that is triggering the emotional binge.

2 people like this.
  7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

try to express that emotion in a different way. Acknowledge what you are feeling by saying it out loud, write it out in a journal in detail, or in a picture.