1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Emotional Abuse In Marriage

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by BhumiBabe, May 8, 2017.

1. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

They can stay in a hotel or ask your husband to rent an apartment while they are there. By the way, does your husband know you are leaving him?

2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Yea, that makes sense. I think I'm getting overwhelmed with thinking about the future, and not being very rational -especially at the middle of the night. Seriously, what's wrong with me?

The house is marital property, and I think I will get a better idea of what I can do this weekend, when I get some clarity and options with my father.

3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

do ur parentss and inlawssss live in usa

4. Independentgal

Independentgal Senior IL'ite

I also stay in USA...Emotional abuse is the most dangerous abuse same like physical and also as devastating...it took me 10 yrs that I am going through it and finally thought would get out in 2015...but again I thought about my daughter and backed off...But from past 1 yr I realized I am ruining both me and my daughter by being in this nonsense...So finally started moving together everything...talking to lawyers and working on documents...but will be moving out of house soon and renting an apartment...I will take things as they come...and I strongly believe I will be fine...

5. Independentgal

Independentgal Senior IL'ite

Do you work?Otherwise before going out..talk to lawyer and get temporary child and spousal support..i am still with my husband but first going to send notice for property settlement,childsupoort and spousal support...then will move out...

BhumiBabe likes this.
  6. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

Amica and BhumiBabe like this.
  7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

I can understand ur anger ...but remember your safety and that of your son is more important than anything else. He has used violence to assert his position before...he can do it again. When the stakes are higher so will the nature of his violence.
    All those things u list above can be earned back. Dont worry ..and by law its marital property ..that and the mortgage /any other debt will be divided equally.
    IF u are in a state with no fault divorce like CA then no matter whose fault it is the property will be divided equally .Let the lawyers figure it out. Move out get a restraining order and stay safe.

Amica and BhumiBabe like this.
  8. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Yep, my parents live in the US, my in-laws live in India. Which is why I'm so worried about my in-laws, because it's a foreign country to them.

To me, my reasons to leave is because of the emotional abuse. The physical abuse is the only reason people take me seriously though.

I do work, I recently started, and that's why I have enough confidence to leave. I think, since our families will be involved, I need to let them wrap their heads around the issues, because it will affect them as well. I know that having family involved for this seems really strange, that it should be between me and my husband, but neither side will be willing to stay out. I'm just going to have to trust my father, that things will be alright and he's on my side.

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

BB, if you really serious about a divorce, and I somehow don't think you are 100% for it right now .. seems like you want to draw attention to the abuse and fix things. Either way, if you are really serious about a divorce, you need to focus completely on what is good for you and your child. Even though he is a good father, you have to not waste any energies thinking about him and his family. Divorce brings out the ugliest side in people. You don't have to stoop to his/their level, but you have to be very very selfish and focussed in your thinking. That thinking will reflect in what you say to family and other people who will be involved.

Who gives a damn about your in-laws and it is a foreign country and all that. If you are contemplating divorce, you have to change your attitude a little towards 'hard as nails'. You are working, fairly new in job, have a little child. That itself makes for a hectic life. Add to it your marriage woes. So, don't take on more burden worrying about your in-laws comfort.

Yes. You got this right. You have to watch what you say. Think it over, and rehearse what you will say. Any ambivalence you show, any empathy, or if you say anything that excuses your husband's behavior, the other side will pounce on it.

Initiating a divorce is like crossing the intersection on a yellow. You decide to do it, you have to keep up the speed. Second-guessing can be harmful. This does not mean you become completely opposed to a reconciliation. Rather, remain firm during any talks that will place.

Don't worry about his family. Your family has had enough time to get used to the idea. And no, in a case like yours, where parents have/had say in the marriage, it is better they get involved.

It is your house too. Get your father to stay with you, whenever you want or need. No need to worry that it will be awkward with his parents around. And, beyond the basic making sure they have food to eat, no need to pretend and do the usual seva.

Don't ever say to anybody except your parents maybe, that the emotional abuse was worse than the physical.

You might have already read about the CA domestic abuse case of Abhishek Gattani: Despite chilling audio of wife battery, Cuberon CEO gets away with a month’s jail The woman tried to protect the man, and now she has a weak case.

All is fair now. At a suitable time, you could casually bring up this case. See, how husband reacts.

It is good you did not call 911. Wouldn't help in your case to do so unless it was a life-threatening situation. You need to have some things sorted out before involving external people and authorities.

Nonya, silentlistener, NeetaR and 2 others like this.
  10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Please explain what things need to be sorted out before calling the police