1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Emotional Abuse In Marriage

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by BhumiBabe, May 8, 2017.

1. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

You are almost there. Don't back down. Don't worry about others. Focus on yourself. The stress shall pass once you are on your own and free to do as you want. Before long, it shall seem like a bad dream. If the psychological stress continues to manifest itself physically, consider visiting your doctor.

blindpup10 likes this.
  2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

When I called a law firm, the receptionist recommended DVIS (domestic violence intervention services) which is the local support for abuse cases and has counseling and appoint attorneys at affordable prices. Try reaching out to a law firm with good reviews or local domestic violence services- and do some homework.

This is hard - I never bothered until this week, and the help is optional (which somehow helps because I don't want to make things tough on me and totally screw over my husband). I'm not even emotionally attached to my husband and I still feel far too much empathy that I don't want to ruin his life.

Umanga likes this.
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Well.he ruined yours

4. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Indeed. That is the right approach. When it comes to marriage, I have made my thoughts clear on the subject:

BhumiBabe likes this.
  5. BhumiBabe

I don't want to live with resentment. After all, resentment would hurt me more than it hurts him. He is still a decent father, and my son deserves to have him in his life.

Umanga likes this.
  6. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this much information although you find it very uncomfortable and embarrassing to disclose.

Umanga likes this.
  7. BhumiBabe

Domestic violence is tough to recognize, especially if it doesn't hurt. In fact, my in laws know about the slaps, but to them, it doesn't even register as domestic violence. It's acceptable (not encouraged), and they haven't even told my husband firmly that it's wrong. Maybe it's the media or maybe it's the common occurrences in the household.
    My father has told him it was wrong, and my husband knows that it's not acceptable in the US.

8. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, in India even if husband slap his wife it is considered as a way to control the wife, many people think a husband has a right to do it and its manly. I don't think most people ( not all )consider that as abuse..I have seen many Indian movies with similar scenes. It is part of male dominated society and men decide what woman should do..so sad it exists even today .

Anyway , now everything is changing.. Abuse is abuse , it hurts our mind than the body.

Do not look back, focus on yourself, you have only one life. Move ahead.Good luck
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry OP to divert. Can someone help this lady on a question on child custody In USA . Here is the thread.
    I Landed Up In This Thread..

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  9. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Read this entire thread in one go, and my heart stopped right there.

You are such a strong woman, BB. Instead of using that strength to bear with this daily crap, move on and ahead with your life. I am so glad to read your parents are backing you on your decision.

Love and strength to you in every way possible. Come for a hug, whenever you need, or even don't need. Chin up!

blindpup10, BhumiBabe and Umanga like this.
  10. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

This list reads like a description of Indian culture.

Sunshine04 likes this.