1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Embroidery : Best Ways of using Metallic Threads in Hand Embroidery

Discussion in 'Embroidery' started by jsrivenkat, Jan 7, 2009.

1. jsrivenkat

jsrivenkat Silver IL'ite

Hello,
    One more fine day to discuss handwork.Aari has taken the forum by storm.Till such time we master the art of Aari from our experts in this field,thought this article will be useful for like minded friends who would like to use metal thread in Hand embroidery.Hope this article will be useful in our work.

:coffeeHow to Get the Best From Metallic Threads:coffee

Have you ever wondered how to transform your cross stitch projects from basic pictures to unique treasures? Metallic thread ranges from a company such as Madeira can add sparkly embellishment to any design -- and can be especially appropriate for festive occasions, outshining everything else with that extra shimmering touch.
    Metallic threads can present certain challenges. Here are some tips that will help to keep your stitching trouble-free.
    Needle Threading
    One task that causes the most fraying when using metallic thread is when you have to thread the needle. You should choose a needle with a larger eye so that it is easier to thread. Also, you can try folding the thread over so it forms a loop and putting the end of the loop through the eye of the needle.

Use a Larger Needle
    One type of thread known for unravelling is the chainette. When the thread unravels it can leave unsightly threads dangling from the project. Therefore, it is helpful to use a larger needle and a straight up and down motion with this type of metallic thread. The up and down motion keeps the thread from being dragged across the fabric. The larger needle creates a bigger hole so that there is less friction on the thread. Less friction means less fraying.
    Smoother Stitching
    Consider buying Thread Heaven to keep the metallic thread smooth and prevent fraying. If you cannot find the product at your local craft store you can also use a clear fingernail polish at the ends of the thread.
    Stitch with Care
    When you use metallic threads, stitch more slowly and more attentively, and use a needle big enough to open the hole in the fabric enough, so as to allow the thread to go through the hole easily. Stitch, using the 'stab' method -- working your stitches in two movements -- up vertically, and then down, vertically through the fabric.
    Prevent Twisting Threads
    Allow the needle to hang frequently from the fabric, so that the thread can untwist. Consider turning the needle to half-twist as you bring the needle out of the fabric, to prevent the thread from curling.
    Save the Best for Last
    Metallic threads add that special touch to any project. If you want certain areas of your project to really stand out, metallic thread draws the eye to that area. Yet the thread tends to be more challenging to work with, so you will want to save it for the last part of your cross stitch project. This way all of your other work is done and you can minimize the friction on your metallic thread. It will minimise fraying and add a polished finish to your project.
    You can vary the amount of shine, too, by varying the amount of strands of metallic thread that you use. More strands produce more sheen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2009

2. Chitra29

Chitra29 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Jayashree
    thanx for ur valuable tips & wishing u a h'py NEWYEAR.

3. aruna_sudha

aruna_sudha Silver IL'ite

:thankyou2: for your tips............:clap:clap

4. Chandra25

Chandra25 Bronze IL'ite

Thank u for your valuable tips.

5. geeths_dev

geeths_dev New IL'ite

As I am right using metallic threads for my embroidery I can very much relate to the challenges here!!!! A very useful reference! Thanks Jayashree.

6. visalamkrishnan

visalamkrishnan Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Thanks for sharing the very useful tip for using the metallic thread.
    vk

7. rama_mani

rama_mani Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Have u finished any work? Or if u are doing embrodiery can u post the same. I want to do embroidery in saree. I dont have any idea how this metallic thread embroidery looks like. Pls share.

Ramamani

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

8. geeths_dev

geeths_dev New IL'ite

No I have not finished my work yet. Will definitely post it once I complete it..

9. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi Jsri,

Thanks for the tips

10. tumtuma3

tumtuma3 Bronze IL'ite

hi,friend,thanks for your helpful tips.it is really helpful for us.thanks.:thumbsup