1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

embarassed to say but a problem...need to stop bottle feeding baby

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ammani, Jun 25, 2013.

1. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

hello,

as we were traveling every two months to native for functions and festivals i started bottle feed for my son (6 months old then)... now (he is 18 months old) he readily drinks water and sips little tea from cup/glass from our bottle etc but milk i cant seem to make him have from cup/glass.. i bought his favorite character mug also (for now its chota bheem... all kids seem to like him) he had only the first day once milk in it.. .now he disagrees...

plz suggest some ideas for me to help him leave the bottle....

PS: embarrassed as his cousins of same age drink from glass/cup and he is teased and i am scolded for the same

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2013

2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

Re: embarassed to say but a problem... suggestions plz

personally,i don't think anyone should mind if he still drinks from bottle & you need not compare him with his cousins etc.each child is different ,just ignore the negative talk.......

otherwise avoid feeding him in public if it embarasses you.i am sure he will be talking milk 2-4 times only now that he is eating so you can take him to your room to help him drink in peace.

you can also try sipper's like in this page Buy Baby Sippy Cups, Feeding Products, Baby Sippy Cups Online in India at Firstcry.com

sindmani, sarada30 and Dinny like this.
  3. kannas

kannas Bronze IL'ite

Re: embarassed to say but a problem... suggestions plz

its good to be away from bottles ans sippers.. after seeing my friends kid who developed teeth disalignment at the age fo 6 only, i decided not to follow any such stuffs to my kid.. my dd is use to glasses. so better think of glasses than bottle/sipper.
    to make the kids drink milk you can try out vanilla flavored malt which most kids like. then they can drink anyother milk malts.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ammani, my DD is exactly like this. Be patient and keep giving him a sippy. Eventually he will get the hang of it. Dont feel embarrassed. With my DD (18 months), she still falls asleep with a bottle. Trying hard to quit the habit.

5. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

@All

i have sippers and he hates them.... he does have water/juice etc from glass... only problem is milk... i dont want to give horlicks/bournvita etc to make him leave the bottle...

i dont feel bad because every child is different... some relatives (SIL in particular.. my DH cousin sister) brags so much about her niece having through glass and all that and makes me feel as if i dont look after my son well and have started him on a bad habit (now i stay away from them... actually avoid meeting them totally)

main reason for making him stop the bottle habit is for the teeth itself... now he has little gaps hope it doesnt lead to teeth coming out of his lips (i am not remembering the exact words now... hope i am understood)

@RAkhii...

its almost same here... he too sometimes sleeps with the bottle...

my sister stopped bottle use for nephew few months back... he was adamant and wanted his bottle only and stopped drinking milk altogether for few days then she had to give horlicks (though she doesnt like giving it).. now he has his horlicks milk and creates a ruckus if not given...

i bought a new cup (baby friendly material) for his with his favorite cartoon character to make him leave the bottle but he likes to have everything else in cup except milk... my efforts are on... hope by his bday i will be successful!

6. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

dear ammani,
    i dont understand why u are embarrased by bottle feeding? let me tell u something, my elder one is 3 yrs + and still drinks his milk via bottle. he drinks 9 oz milk twice a day, before his afternoon nap and before he sleeps at nite. im fine with this as he only drinks milk before he sleeps. furthermore, i dont think he can finishes his milk if i give him in glass and he will get messy also.
    my bils daughther, who is i month younger to my elder one drinks milk from glass, and her mother or the maid have to walk around with her to get her to drink little by little and that only for 5 oz.
    im fine with milk bottles as long as they dont hang around with bottle on their mouth.
    for my lo who is 16 mths +, i feed him during his sleep most of the time.
    i was breastfeeding them in public until they are 1 year old, so definitely i wont be embarrased to give them bottle!!!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  7. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

Make the tiny hole which dont release much, he get irritation, slowly he wil leave by own. Before feeding milk be sure that he is in hunger, so once after trying tinyhole bottle, in hunger easily he wil leave and prefer for glass.

1 person likes this.
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My one used to take bottles till he was 2, and then one fine day the nipple of his feeding bottle got damaged, and we went for a new one, which had a tiny hole. My son got tired of sucking it, and even tried not to drink his favorite milk for that reason.

That's where I re-introduced him his cup, and made him drink his remaining milk that time, as he needed it badly. So, eventually he found it okey, and forgot his feeding bottle. Now he is 2.5 yrs, and behaves like a grown up boy without a bottle.

2 people like this.
  9. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

@All

"teeth" is the major concern here... there are times when he runs all around and falls down and bites his lower lip (inside) with his upper front teeth and it bleeds (it happened many times)... those front teeth look more prominent his mouth... so major worry in that matter...

running behind i do that for breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack sometimes milk juice also.. so thats not new for me... its normal... he likes snack time and breakfast time as mostly it will be banana or mango or biscuits or dosa (doesnt like much of idli though!).. lunch and dinner are the most difficult time for me in the day! (he simply disagrees to open his mouth and cries when i bring his dinner plate!)

bottle nipple changes have happened many times... but he even sips with broken ones... i change it fearing he will choke on overflow!! (slow flow doesnt hamper his bottle use as he anyways sits for hours sipping his bottle milk!!)

he has everything except milk in a cup/glass... why is this happening??? i dont want him to have teeth problem because of the bottle... my only concern!

1 person likes this.
  10. luckysangeetha

luckysangeetha Gold IL'ite

apply neem leaf paste on the bottle nipple he will stop taking from the bottle.