1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Eliza, Fetch Me My Slippers!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Apr 29, 2020.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I feel like I am waking up from a dream - or is it a nightmare, I can't be quite sure. Coming here and browsing through some threads I feel like I was on some strange planet all these days and just woke up to find myself back home.

Well, ever since I have been caged inside my own house, not of my own volition, but that of the Power That 'Be's', life has taken on a strange turn. What's more, I have been caged in with the MIL and her son. Do I hear any sigh of sympathy emanating from anywhere?

The past decade has been spent with help (or should I say at the mercy of) a Lady Friday, her younger sister and a Lady Antoinette. I have been at their beck and call (no, not vice-versa) for fear that they might walk out on me. And then what would I do?

Enter Ms. Corona Le Virus. Too much of emotional and physical dependence on the three said ladies, she decided, was not good for my health. They had to be socially distanced. So it is that the day starts with watering the plants (unless their meal time is shifted to the evening), arranging for our own meal times (sometimes for two days at a time), teaching on line, preparing presentations to keep participants from getting into the hair of their near and dear ones for 3 hours at a time (while getting under the skin of my own, thanks to the fits of rage when some of them get under mine), attending endless online training and Q&A sessions on how to achieve the previous goal (teaching online I mean - there is no course to stay out of each other's hair), attending French classes (have still not discovered how exactly they deal with Ms. Corona Le Virus), washing vessels about 5 times a day, heating food, serving food, having no appetite to eat the products of my own culinary expertise ..... till I crash out to start the day again. The only bright spot on the horizon is that I don't have to iron clothes. Lovely to live in one's jammies, yes even when teaching! No one can see me, you see? No, not even myself.

How do I do all this? I wonder. My back is killing me. My knees punish me by not letting me sit down without shouting out loud enough for people to think I am being murdered. It is not easy to get out of bed with back stiff as a plank and a knee that will not bend. Don't ask about crouching in L-shaped corners trying to get stuff out of D-trays. No mean thanks to an enterprising pharmaceutical industry.

But long and short of it is ..... I am doing it. 45 days till now. Have survived. Ha! Bad news for the 3 ladies in question. Now it is their turn to toe the line. Thanks Ms. Corona. I feel like I have just been corona-ted, doing things I did 10 years ago, albeit with creaks from every joint. I sing ... "There will still be sunshine without you, We will still eat meals without you, And there still will be rain .... "

But wait! I suspect I am just beginning to feel like Prof. Higgins. Am waiting for the day when the 3 return and I can put up my feet and say "Where is my cup of coffee?"

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    iyerviji, Nuzhath, joylokhi and 6 others like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

I do hope you get to put your feet up and demand that coffee! This phase in life has brought us things that we never imagined - including proper seasonal changes you know like april showers bringing may flowers for us and perhaps best ever monsoons for you guys over there, the number of birds and animals coming our of their hiding not to forget the bumblees (as my DD called bumblebees when she was little). We of course are learning that we can manage without help and the help hopefully is learning that their work means more than what they think it is! All of this has to settle down and it will. It is just a matter of time! Take care of yourself :)

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  3. satchitananda

Thanks Sabitha. Yes, it certainly made me realize that while they are not exactly indispensable, one can manage with them too. Yes, and they too need to realize how important their work is, take more pride in what they do and do it more professionally and well. Waiting for things to return to normal sooner than later. "Bumblees" - how I love that!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    You are intellectually and physically occupied. I find that many ladies in our complex have become trim and are proud of themselves.Many men portray a sacrificial look of running the house.A couple next door have evolved a system of shifts on alternate days.32 vessels[plates and tumblers]are washed by the users [Four persons] instead of dumping in the sink. Of course we miss the luxury of asking some one to run errands for us.Yesterday alone in our complex 22 robot sweeper cum mopper machines have been delivered.The floor looked so clean after the job.It is too early to detect the weak points of this machine.
    Middle class India will never be the same again.Nice to read your article after a long time atleast after I made a reappearnce on the stage four months back.
    Regards.SLN

satchitananda and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    Ghar ghar ki kahani.
    We can survive.....but do we really? A sort of compulsion. My view....we and maids are mutually dependent....we for work and they for living. After Corona phase is over would we not open our arms to welcome? We do. They also similar situation but their's are different problems. Ours....aches and pains. Their's abusing husband all the time at home without going to work, demanding and nagging, has to beg them for money even for small needs....is not a welcome thing. My maid calls me....waiting to come back to work . We value each other more after corona days.
    Syamala

6. satchitananda

Dear Sir,

so good to hear from you. I loved that! They have actually counted the plates and tumblers! :-D And this is amazing. Robot sweeper cum mopper machines! Did not know that they had actually made their appearance in India! Sigh! Wish our apartment would think of that!

"middle class India ...". That is what I fear most. Change is the inevitable fact of life, but such drastic changes would be rather a shock to the system. Waiting for some sense of normalcy to prevail once again.

Thanks and regards,

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. satchitananda

That is very true, Syamala. What do we do with each other, what do we do without! However, this phase is positive for teaching us:
    1. that we can survive without each other
    2. that we are still valuable to each other - if not as individuals, at least as a class - employers and employees.
    3. that both classes MUST value the work of the domestic help, cleaners and all blue collar workers. Their work is essential and fundamental to all others being able to do their own jobs.
    4. that when they demand all the rights and privileges available in companies and govt jobs, they must also do their work as professionally.

Nature is a harsh teacher, but a very effective one.

shyamala1234 and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:crybaby2:it is said @satchitananda that old is gold. But all oldies now with silver hair or bald pate are undergoing special exercise to tone up thanks to lockdown version 1.0 & 2.0.
    You have echoed sentiments of your contemporaries in a distinct style that can't be imitated by others.
    I enjoyed reading "miserable" missing of Lady Friday and serious & humorous response of others .
    Let us only hope it is a passing phase or and we are in learning curve.
    It is said by prodigy Abighyan of telengana commencing from Dec 14 to end March 2o21 for 108 days another trying period for the universe.
    Where is my cup of tea? I ordered to myself . Hence got to go to kitchen to make it.
    Thanks and regards.

satchitananda likes this.
  9. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchitananda,
    A snippet written in inimitable style. So interesting to read.Every woman has her own corona problems and experiences,some funny and some gloomy.We live by exchange of such tales.
    Servant maids have become a part of our body and and are very much valuable to us.Both are inter dependent.A cute relationship exists therein.

Jayasala 42

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  10. satchitananda

Got it ready. Enjoy! Just had my morning cup of cold coffee.
    I discovered Abhigyan only a few days ago. Am really impressed, but would like to disbelieve him - can't bear to think of another bad phase. We are not out of this one yet.

Thyagarajan likes this.