Eliminating post count for chit-chat threads

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback!' started by Jithiks, Oct 4, 2009.

1. bars62

bars62 Senior IL'ite

hi krithika

a good opinion. i too agree.

bharathy.g.

2. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Hey not at all ma. Did not get offended. I agree with the idea totally and so my support for Jithiks and your idea.

3. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Krithika,

You are absolutely right in requesting this rule to be implemented in IL where only quality posts/threads/forums will add to an ILite's post count.

Pavi , that is a brilliant idea you have come up with.

Unfortunately if we eliminate the posts count from these threads, the posters need to be aware that though they have assisted fellow ILite by providing some information or guidelines since it was posted in a chit-chat thread, it does not count as a brownie point.

I have seen people exchanging recipes and other useful information on these threads apart from discussing day-to-day activities.It is upto the discretion of the user to start a separate thread if the context spans beyond confabulation.

This is the only caveat I can think of which might irk the active participants in these threads that it is not chitchatting alone that these threads cater to.As I mentioned earlier , the poster can always start a new thread with a specific query or information outside the chitchat thread so that everyone in IL can participate in it ,not limiting to the chitchat thread members only.

I can't think of any other ripples that this rule if implemented might trigger.My support goes to you Krithi..:thumbsup:thumbsup

HIP HIP HURRAAAAAAAAY !!!

4. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear All,

First, thanks for this suggestion that drives the idea of accounting & crediting only quality posts in IL.

While chit-chat posts sharing day-to-day stuff are good for networking and making friends here, I agree your suggestions about keeping it aside from increasing post count and hence membership levels.

Having said that, it is not possible to eliminate posts from specific threads (sitting in various forums) from being counted. We can achieve this only as follows:

1. Move all chit-chat type threads (in various forums / local forums) into 'Community Chit-Chat' forum.

2. Eliminate post counts from the posts/threads in Community Chit-Chat forum.

3. It is also not possible to separate those posts sharing/exchanging some useful info. within these chit-chat type threads. Given the volume of those posts in chit-chat type threads, it will involve humongous effort to do this separation. So we leave them also like that uncounted.

Hope this would be in agreement to the suggestions you all have put forward.

If any of you have any concern with this approach let me know the reasons in a couple of days. Otherwise, we would be going ahead with the above approach of elimination on Oct 21st.

Malathy

5. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Malathy
    Eliminating of chit chat type of posts is great. As you know this chitchatting happens in all the languages. Me being one of the modeartor there is going to be very difficult to handle this. As i don't know all those languages. Can't we eliminate in those respected forums???

6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aruna,

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, it is not technically possible to eliminate posts made in specific threads alone within a forum, while counting posts made in other threads in the same forum.

It is possible to eliminate posts completely only at a forum level i.e. eliminate all posts made within a forum.

Hence I suggested to move all chit-chat threads from local forums into Community chit-chat forum and eliminate the posts from that forum entirely.

I don't see a need for you or other greeters moderating language specific threads when they are moved into Community chit-chat forum. Since all posts in the forum is going to be eliminated you need not bother to read and understand what they are chit-chatting about. You only need to moderate if you see contact details (like email, phone numbers or address) getting posted. Guess it's ok?

Malathy

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Malathy,

From what you've written, I gather that you are going to move all the chit-chat threads (irrespective of the language) to the Community chit-chat forum. Right?

Thanks for taking in the suggestions and implementing the necessary changes.

Krithika

8. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Yeah, that makes sense.. That section(Community chit-Chat) like forward jokes should be for chit-chatting.

Mods in the respective forums can move any threads that relates to chit-chatting to this section.. Awesome !!

Good work !!!

9. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Totally Agree Malathy... Definitely a Very Good decision.

Krithika,
    Yes.. From what we understand from M's Announcement, All the Chit Chat (Irrespective of language) would be moved to Chit Chat Forum.

Correct me if i am wrong...

Also, Would the Post counts of the Member's decrease when you do that or it remains the same as of now and will not increase further??

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

M, a great idea & makes a lot of sense. If the post-count is eliminated, these threads will slowly die a natural death. They are, of late, becoming, one too many!
    C