1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Elements

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, May 2, 2016.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Everything in nature is made up of five basic elements: earth, water, fire, air, and space. Knowledge of the five elements allows the yogi to understand the laws of nature and to use yoga to attain greater health, power, knowledge, wisdom and happiness. This arises out of deep intuition of how the universe operates. Knowledge of the five elements is an essential prerequisite for more advanced yoga practice because the elements form the world we live in and the structure of our body-mind. All yoga practices work on the five elements, whether we know it or not. Knowledge of the elements (tattwas) is also the basis of yoga therapy and of Ayurveda, traditional Indian medicine. Through consciously working with the elements, we learn how to attain and maintain health and also how to consciously enjoy a long and fulfilling life based on higher awareness.

Each element is responsible for different structures in the body. Earth forms solid structures, such as bones, flesh, skin, tissues, and hair. Water forms all the liquids in the body. Fire forms hunger, thirst, and sleep. Air is responsible for all movement, including expansion, contraction, and suppression. Space forms physical attraction and repulsion, as well as fear. If any element is impure or out of balance with another, disease and suffering may occur. Yoga helps us purify these elements and restore balance and health, and to unfold the inner powers and abilities contained in each element. In fact, yoga is one of the most powerful ways to restore health because it gives us the means to bring even those elements that are natural enemies into harmonious relationships with each other.

These are known facts documented by several saints and yogis and used by Ayurverdic practitioners for years. But the purpose of this snippet is to stretch my imagination to another level of what we need to learn from the nature of the five elements present in our body. This is not something that I have read in the scriptures or even a book and anything I say here is unacceptable to any reader, I take responsibility. I am always fascinated to learn more and more from the nature what I could to develop my character. When I understand everything in nature is made of five elements including my own body, my though process went to what lessons I could learn from these five elements.

Earth: The moment I uttered this word, the usage “down to earth” comes to my mind. It means humility at the highest level. If we see around us, the earth has so many resources built into it and can convert a seed into a tree, absorb water and quench the thirst of many beings, contains all natural resources, gives food and shelter to all beings in this world yet remain silent and not boosting its capabilities. Most importantly, it holds all living-beings in the world yet remain down to earth. We are minuscule when compared to earth but we prefer to project every accomplishment of ours and always on selling mode in a competitive world that encourages such actions.

Water: Water never defies the gravitational force and pours down to quench the thirst of many living beings. It is instrumental in bringing the best out of earth to satisfy the hunger of living-beings. Water is an essential element for life to exist in the planet. Water comes out of earth in the form of a spring, flows down the mountain in the form of river and merges with the ocean to balance the ecosystem. Most importantly, it changes its shape to what holds it and is tasteless and reminds the need for us to remain calm, tranquil and unattached to the dictates of the senses.

Fire: This is the only element that has the capacity to change everything in this planet into another shape or form and has the ability to defy the gravitational force. Without this element, there will be no change in this world. It provides energy to all living beings by letting the food digest. It lends its hand to shape and form raw-materials into finished products be it gold becoming an ornament or rice and pulses becoming delicious food for consumption. When we see the open flame it has red and blue color in it indicating that it is capable of destruction and construction. When we see the flame coming out, it feels like it is worshiping the manifestation of the divine everywhere. A small fire turning into big reminds us of the potential in us by applying change to what we are.

Wind: Having mentioned about something that is stationary, something that flows down and something that rises up, it is time to talk about something that moves sideways. A gentle breeze gives all living-beings a great sense of happiness. In fact, without it, the life will cease to exist yet it embraces all the living-beings with love and compassion. It teaches us the important lesson, life is all about embracing the fellow-beings and co-exist with them peacefully. It constantly serves the living-being without expecting anything in return, facilitates the fire to change things in the world and helps the clouds to move around from low atmospheric pressure areas to high atmospheric pressure areas.

Space: This is an element that reminds in the higher plane as a witness unaffected by the four elements that help sustain the life in the planet. But according to the Vedanta, this is the first element that was formed in the material world followed by air, fire, water and earth. The first sound that is known as Pranava came out of this element. This is instrumental in giving the living beings emotions, discrimination, will power and sense of doership and ownership. This is the closest to what remains beyond these five elements known as vacuum or statelessness or silence.

Our ultimate goal is to move beyond these elements. We have to move from materialization that is nothing but manifestation (form) to vibration (food and air) that sustains all lives through energy in the planet to radiation (intellectual) that gives emotions, discrimination, will power and sense of doership & ownership before we achieve the state of consciousness. Vacuum or statelessness or silence is the ultimate form of every being. The reason for aspiring to attain this status is because it places the beings in a permanent state unaffected by other factors and become formless that is everywhere.

The only question that remains here is the destruction that is caused by earthquakes, floods, volcanic eruptions and tornados. In my humble view, it is a balancing act of aggression by these elements teaching us to remain balanced in life without tilting towards selfishness from selflessness to achieve our goal of transcending those five elements.

jssd, jskls, Amica and 6 others like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Viswa dear a thought provoking post as always and so much to learn. YOu have vast knowledge of everything and we in IL are blessed to learn from you. Now waiting for Jayakka's response

Viswamitra, vaikhari and Rihana like this.
  3. vaikhari

vaikhari Gold IL'ite

Thank you sir for setting the tone of the day, invoking the elements

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Wow !
    Extremely Elementary my Dear Watson sorry Vishwa.

I am also interested in this kind of studies, and have found that this is not typical of India.

Greek, Tibetan, Chinese Japanese and Egypt all have a list of sometime four but mostly five things connected with health, creation , alchemy or nature.

Earth, Fire , Water, and Air are almost common though have different explanation / attributes. The fifth one is ether/ void/ wood
    FengShui has wood and metal instead of space and water.

In Babylonian myths Sea, Earth, Sky and wind are four Gods.

Wikipedia Classical element - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    has a very interesting article.

As I understand, all these come out of each other and become grosser have the attribute of the previous one plus a new one. All our senses are based on these. Our Sukshma and karan Shariras are also based on these.

Indeed the whole natural laws are based on these. So I do not understand how we can move beyond these.

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Viswa,

What a great write up! It is as though we are beginners in a yoga or meditation class.The snippet is very crisp and shines like well polished diamond.It is Viswa's speciality.We are proud to have such a scholar amidst us.

The study of five elements make an interesting study,though it has different versions.
    Prithvi): One can touch earth and smell it too ! However, there are two types of earth one is Eternal or (nitya) which are in the form of atom (Paramanu).The other type is perishable (anitya) which exists in the form of Karya or Work at animate and inanimate levels. Symbolically speaking our body, sense organs are the earth which as a whole get the shape of Jiva or life but those are perishable. But elements or atoms are eternal as after death may we bury, or burn the body, all the atoms get disintegrated to come back to its original eternal form. So our body and its Karya or Work are perishable but the atom remains which are eternal.

Water or Jal is the second element which again has two characters as in the Earth i.e. eternal in the shape of atom and Karya (Work) be it as river, pond or sea are perishable. As from sea or river water evaporates to be in the sky as cloud then again in the shape of rain it comes down on earth. So the eternal atom is only changing its karya or shape of work and what we see is the perishable form.From the sense organ perspective we can touch it to feel and taste it as well.

The third element is Air or Vayu.Again it has two levels as earth and water i.e.eternal atom and perishable Karya. One can feel air, as we breath in or out.We feel the storm or strong breeze which are temporary but air at atomic level remains around us eternally.

In the Purana there is a mention of 49 types of Maruts or winds.Seven are important namely 1. Pravaha 2 Avaha; 3,Udvaha 4. Samvaha; 5 Vivaha; 6 Parvaha and 7.Paravaha. The wind which takes the water from the ocean is called Udvaha.

Fire or Agni is the fourth element of Indian Panchabhuta. Again it has eternal and perishable elements as we have seen above. The essential character of Fire is to generate heat.According to Hindu Mythology, Agni is one of the Eight guardians who guards our universe and is known as Asta- dik-palakas (Asta-eight, dik--Zone,Palaka-Guardian). The Fire is positioned in the South East of the Universe.

However, in Indian mythology there are mentions of various types of fires. The four important ones are fire of the earth, fire of the sky, fire of the stomach (can mean hunger and digestive power as well) and the fire we commonly use.Our human body with digestive system can be well compared to a smasaana or burial ground.While talking of superstitions about pollution (theettu in tamil) the siddhas used to speak about the burning ghat within our body.

The digestive,respiratory, circulatory and excretory system created by nature do the massive uncleaning and cleaning routine all 24 hrs- a duty allotted by nature to maintain pancha prana balance.

Then comes the last of the Panchabhuta or five elements which is sound or ether. Ether is unique as it has only one character i.e. eternal. Ether is the carrier of sound be it man made or otherwise. One can hear it. As ether is the only eternal element of the five elements it attracted the attention of various sages. The concept of Akashvani or Divine sound which is heard by sages of higher order is related to this Ether or Akasha.The primordial mantra AUM then in modern times Raam or Shyaam are to work as linkages between Jivatma(life force--atman or soul) to Paramatman or (Omnipotent of supreme soul).The concept of sound and Mantra is essentially based on ether.

As Viswa has pointed out Devigita proclaims that Shakti went about creating the world with 24 tattvas or elements. The five elements were born out of the primordial principle of unmanifested Sakti.The ether through which sound traverse was first element, which is also known as Sabda-rupa (form of sound). Second was Air or Vayu (Sparsharupa or a form which is felt) The Air or Vayu give rise to Agni so it called Vayoranih. Then sense of taste or ‘rasrupa’ the water element came. The the gandharupa or the source of smell came--the earth.

All yogas speak highly about the harmony or balance of panchaboothas by means of various yoga mudras,our fingers representing five elements.These mudras are used in Natya Sastra too.In South India ,there are 5 famous Shiva kshetras each representing an element( Earth-Kanchipuram, Water-Thiruvnaikoil,Fire-Thiruvannamalai, Air-Kalahasti, and ether-Chidambaram) and Shri Muthuswami Dikshitar has composed five wonderful kritis in Sanskrit in praise of the presiding deities of the kshetras.
    Thirumoolar in his famous work 'Thirumanthiram In tamil has much elaborated about Pancha tatvas.
    Nature's miracle is human beings can lead a healthy life without understanding a single word about Pancha tatva by leading a disciplined life.He need not do any extra effort to have Gyan about these bhoothas and harmonising them.Leading a calm life with normal breathing, and normal activities without hurting others , all elements are under control. It is our perversion and indiscipline and unhealthy habits that have resulted in imbalance of panchaboothas and subsequent search for balance.
    In a way it is blessing in disguise, we are able to learn about Panchaboothas.Whether we are going to do anything to harmonise-is altogether different issue.
    Thanks Viswa for initiating an introspective thread.

jayasala 42

jskls, vaikhari and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Dear Vijiakka,

Thank you as always for your first response. Your first opening remarks always bring more response to any snippet. I am hoping for better response this time.

Viswa

iyerviji likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Vaikhari,

Thank you for your response. I hope you enjoyed reading this snippet. I wasn't going to write about the five elements and how they came into existence as much as what qualities to learn from them. But that preamble is necessary to bring what I wanted to convey.

Viswa

vaikhari likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Dear Shobamma,

I was curious why you addressed me Watson. Perhaps, my retirement age reminded you of the Australian cricketer. You are right about other countries having similar four or five elements that they pay attention to address health.

Yes. Each one of the elements that came out of the previous one had the qualities of the previous one plus a new quality.

The point I have made in the preamble was to tell that the five elements are mere manifestation that came out of vacuum that existed before the universe was formed. They are transient and not permanent and at some point in time, they would disappear similar to our gross body that perishes.

But my focus on this snippet is not to talk about the description of the five elements but what kind of lessons we could learn from the nature of these five elements.

Viswa

9. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Oh sorry. I am a Sherlock Holmes Buff and that is his standard reply to his friend Dr Watson!

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Thank you for your kind words and I am truly humbled by them. Your responses always add so much value to my otherwise incomplete snippet. You are very comprehensive in your responses always. It is educational to read your responses.

I understand that every element has perishable and eternal components as they are intertwined. The gross substance is needed to perform actions while the eternal substance is needed to provide the guidance.

Thank you for sharing the five Kshetras for the benefit of everyone and I had the opportunity to visit all five of them.

As I mentioned to others in my response, I was only using a small preamble to introduce the five elements and my focus on this snippet is to pay attention to what lessons we could learn from these five elements to develop our character.

These are just my thoughts and I am sure you may have much better thoughts on this subject. I have shared what I learn from these five elements to elicit other interesting thoughts from scholars like you.

Viswa