Elementary Schools in Sharjah

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Sharjah' started by perveen, May 4, 2009.

1. perveen

perveen New IL'ite

Good Morning Ladies,

I am in the process of moving from New York to Sharjah. The one thing troubling me most is the transfer of my children to an American curriculum school. I have three children going into Gr. 5, Gr. 4, and Pre-K this coming Sept. As I have read not too many favorable reports regarding schools in Sharjah, I would be interested to know what the feedback of parents might be.

At the moment, I have narrowed my search to the following schools:
    Wesgreen Intl.
    Sharjah American Intl.
    The School of Creative Science
    Scholars Intl. Acad. (not sure if they are in Sharjah or Dubai)
    Victoria English School
    Int. School of Choueifat

Any thoughts regarding the above schools would be highly appreciated. Feel free to recommend any schools not on the list. If anyone has relocated from US to Sharjah, i would love to speak with them. Thanks for your time.

Perveen

2. Srividyak

Srividyak Senior IL'ite

HI Perveen

As far as my knowledge goes among the schools you have mentioned, the International School of Choueifat ist he best.

Srividya

3. perveen

perveen New IL'ite

Hi Srividya,

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any kids in school or are you in touch with anyone that has school-age kids attending Sharjah Schools. I am really looking for feedback from parents regarding the school atmosphere, how active the student body is in extracurricular activities, quality of teachers and their background, availability of resources should the child need extra help in a subject, etc., etc.....I realize this is a lot to ask and you may or may not have this info. But, it never hurts to ask. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Looking forward to hearing from you or anyone else who might like to advise.

Regards,
    Perveen

4. Srividyak

Srividyak Senior IL'ite

hi

Actually one of our ILite member is planning to enrol her daughter in the same school. I think she should be in a better position to help u out. Moreover my hubsand's boss's children also studied in the same school.

Srividya

5. Bindu Thomas

Bindu Thomas Senior IL'ite

Hi Perveen,
    I do not have any first hand information or direct experience about the inernational curriculum schools. so I have been hesitating with this info especially since it is not very positive... but I later felt it is always nice to hear the good and the bad and then decide... I do have collegues that have kids studying in the international school of Choiefat both Shj and Dubai. As the general understanding goes there is a lot of hype to this school but from both my collegues opinions- they do not appreciate the school much.The school carries with it a prestige among the parents circle (It is up-class to have the kids in choiefat but it is more of the Arabic speaking kids). I have asked my collegeues several times why they still have their kids studying there.... well.... several reasons.... reputation, transfer to schools in their country is easier etc..
    The Dubai branch in particular is known to be very arrogant in many of their policies. Safety in school is not too important... if any parent approaches them... they say.. this is how it is if u dont like it take ur child away from here!!!!Safety in school -to them- stays within the classroom not within the school premises...!!
    My collegue can go on and on about how even the school curriculm is not being taught with dedication...This is only the opinion of 2 parents... many of the others may have good reviews.... Please do ur homework before deciding on the school.

Wesgreen is a good school as well. Please go to the GEMS website (it goes by the same name). GEMS is an educational organisation that manage several school under several curriculum. I am sure you might get some info from there. Their schools usually maintain a good standard- education and extracurricular.... All the best:thumbsup Hope I have been able to help...

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  6. perveen

perveen New IL'ite

Bindu,

I am so glad that you decided to go ahead and post. The information you just gave me is priceless. I had my doubts about Choufait based on one internet review i had read. You confirmed my doubts. Actually, Wesgreen is the first one on my list. However, it is very hard to make a good decision because i am still in the US and what is often advertised on the school website will always be intended to put the school in the best light. My husband will the one to go and observe the schools first hand. Sometimes, he just happens to overlook some of the most important things. So, it is very comforting to hear firsthand (or second-hand) from someone who either has gone through this experience of school selection or knows of someone who did.

Again, i appreciate the feedback. If anyone is still hesitating to post, please don't. You may never know how much your words are worth to someone.

Regards, Perveen

7. Bindu Thomas

Bindu Thomas Senior IL'ite

Dear Perveen,
    Great to know that the info helped. Hope u find the right school for ur baby... ALl the best :thumbsup If I get any further info I will definitely let u know.

8. Shra73

Shra73 New IL'ite

I am looking my child admission in a good school of ICSE.
    Can Praveen, Bindu or any one please suggest teh best school in Sharjah or in Dubai near to Sharjah

9. cuckoo3113

cuckoo3113 New IL'ite

Re: playschools please

Hi,
    could you please help me???
    am in sharjah and i need to finalise between two play schools i have chosen.. little feet and lollipops...
    please feel free to tell me your opinions about them..
    infact its urgent.. because the admission into little feet is almost through!!!hence got to make a decision asap!!
    thank you!!!
    regards,
    cuckoo.