1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

elementary school selection

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by thenralpe, Sep 19, 2008.

1. thenralpe

thenralpe New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am new to US and have a son going to kindergarten. We r trying to find a good school in Evansville, Indiana. Can someone give ur suggestion?

Also I have been seeing the statistics of schools(elementary). There seem to be expulsions for alcohol,drug at such a small age. My son faced a bullying problem once. Have any kids here in US faced problems?

Also how do I select a school? Should it be based on ethinicity, language,maths grades, safety rate?
    Please give ur suggestions.
    Thanks

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hi,

I did some googling and here is a link for schools in evansville.....Evansville schools – Indiana (IN) school district, public and private school reports

and thie site also gives you a good review of schools Greatschools.net Search: evansville

As far as the ratings are concerned, they are state wide I think and the over all rating of the school should be good...mostly based on how many kids actually graduate out ie., pass/fail percentage and the economic strata of the families living in a particualr school district is also a good indicator.

As far as expulsions, if you are referring to general statistics, do not worry about it. If this applies to a particular school you are looking at it...then do more research. Bullying is possible esp if the younger ones are riding with older kids - you need to keep an eye.

3. thenralpe

thenralpe New IL'ite

4. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi
    My son is in KG this year..As srama mentioned i checked out the website greatschools.net and find out abt the ratings of our neibhbourhood school..But ratings do keep changing everyyear according to the performance of the kids in the school..

bullying is very common in public schools esp in school buses..U can just ask u'r kid to report to the teacher..if bullying continues u can talk to u'r kid;s teacher in the parents-teachers meeting..