1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Elderly? Who?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Dec 18, 2018.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I hate weddings. To be more specific, I hate big, fat Indian weddings. Not for me the glitz, the glamour, the small talk with everybody or nobody, all the checking out of how much paper has gone into keeping up appearances ......

Unfortunately, the only social dos the BH chooses to attend are house warmings, weddings etc. that one is invited to. People invite you and you are obliged to put in an appearance. So it was the other day that he wanted me to attend somebody's wedding ..... someone whom I did not know from Adam.

"You go" I said.
    "No you come." said the persistent OH who was not about to take "No" for a reply.
    "I hate having to dress up. I would not mind if I could go in my jammies".
    "It's alright. You don't have to dress up, come in your ordinary clothes" he replied.
    "Can't do that. I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. I don't even know them."
    "It's OK, no one cares how you dress up. "Nammal ellam vaisu aanava' (elderly)" came the answer. (He does not seem to be aware that it is the 'vaisu annava' aunties who are the busiest checking out how many dead silkworms the next aunty has draped around herself.)

My jaw dropped. I looked around to check out whether he was talking to somebody in the room who was not visible to me. Nope. No third element in the room. I checked out which direction he was looking in. "Who is old? Are we old?" I asked. "Of course we all are growing older. So if one grows older, one is not young" was the logical response. "Oh, really? A newborn is 1 second old, 2 seconds old etc.... always growing older. Does that make a baby which is an hour old also "old"? He just walked off to the other room. This is what gets my goat (not that I own one!), this refusal to 'discuss' definitions, issues, important life and death matters ..... But then men are known to originate from the Mars.

But not so me. I am from Venus. Which means my mind refuses to leave a thought alone. It is like a particularly persistent little kitten which can't let go of a ball of wool or a roll of tissue paper. It has to analyze everything threadbare. So it has been asking me to find out what the definition of the words 'elderly', 'old', 'senior citizen', 'decrepit', 'related to the dinosaur family' etc. is. Elderly, senior, baby boomer, old, aged -- say what? | Aging In Place Technology Watch is what Google uncool told me today.

Friends can you please help me with some more thoughts for my little mental paws to shred up into to bits?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    kaniths, Amica, jskls and 9 others like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

"You and I were there before. So were your relatives. There is no death to our souls and what passes away is the frame we all have". said Lord Krishna to Arjuna to motivate him to fight against his relatives. Based on this philosophy, even a new born baby is old and existed before.

It is our mind that makes us calculate our age from the time we were born to time we depart and classify people into various categories such as infant, child, young adult, adult, senior, etc. The aging is a fallacy within the Maya we are all experiencing. What we perceive is deceptive and what we truly are remain unchanged.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Amica, satchitananda and sindmani like this.
  3. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Interesting question Satchi! what or who exactly is 'old'. I'll be 65 in a few months from now. When i was 50, i used to consider anyone above 60 to be old or elderly. Now, when someone in the family or close circle comments on any health issues i may complain of - its natural at your age, i can feel the bristles rising in me. At the same time, when someone tries to boost us up with talk of 'age is just a number', it is equally irritating. So, there cannot be any hard and fast rules . It seems safe to assume the Govt definition of senior citizen as an elderly person, according to me.
    Not all people act their age whether young or old , and the pattern varies . So considering respectability when it comes to defining who is an elder or old person may also vary individually:smiley:

4. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

I feel we need to think ourselves always young. That is more important and we should be happy and peaceful .

Amica, Mistt, satchitananda and 3 others like this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

I always feel I am young. At 75 like to dress up. Now a days I wait for occasions so that I can wear a nice saree with matching jewellery byme
    People must be thinking in old age she is like this. In my young age I could not wear nice dresses , jewellery et .as we were not financially well. I was fond of jumkas but I could not have one.

At this age only I am able to.fulfill my
    Wishes as I have many sarees.and jewellery. Who knows how long I will be able to wear. So fulfilling my wishes

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I told Mars today, "I have an early Xmas gift for you. xyz matter has been bugging me and got an update, but am not discussing." Sometimes what we don't give is the gift. : )

Mention of wedding reminded me of an auntie from the extended family who dressed elegantly and had a calm demeanor around her. She wore pastels when others all wore bright colors. We used to call her classy, dignified, and admired her. Sister and I kind of aimed to be like her one day. I have been postponing that one day for ever.

So, I just have to ask and find out for completeness sake: did you go to the wedding? :grinning:

satchitananda likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Rihana,

This is what had happened at Satchi's residence.

Satchitananda: Did you say I am old?
    Husband: Well, I made a general statement everyone is growing everyday.
    Satchi: No, I heard you saying I can wear anything as we are all considered old.
    Husband: I was only mentioning that with reference to young couple.
    Satchi: Do you want me to come with you to the wedding or not?
    Husband: Yes, I do.
    Satchi: Then, I need to know why you said I am old and I could wear anything.
    Husband: I wanted to make it easier for you to get ready and hence suggested you don't have to make extra effort to attend the wedding.
    Satchi: I prefer to appear well-dressed for a wedding and appear young.
    Husband: It is your wish.
    Satchi: Then, why did you tell that I could wear anything?
    Husband: All I meant was you look pretty and young no matter what you wear.
    Satchi: Thank you but why did you say I am old?
    Husband: I didn't say that specifically about you. You pretty much look the same to me since our wedding.
    Satchi: What do you mean by that?
    Husband: I mean you look young and energetic as you were during our wedding.
    Satchi: You have spoiled my mood by asking me to wear anything as I am considered old anyway. I am not sure whether I need to go with you.
    Husband: No, no. Believe it or not, every time I attend a wedding, I visualize myself as a groom and you as the beautiful bride next to me.
    Satchi: Are you sure the bride in your visualization is me next to the groom or are you imagining getting married to someone else?
    Husband: Yeah, I am pretty sure it is you.
    Satchi: Okay, wait for an hour and I will go get ready for the wedding.
    Husband: (Murmuring to himself) I hope you get ready before the bride and groom get old.

Satchi and her husband went to the wedding happily.

Amica, periamma, joylokhi and 6 others like this.
  8. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Haha, the age old problem of husbands. Damn it if you praise wife, damn it if you don't.

Now a days I am very careful with my wife. She is still recovering from child birth and in her postpartum. I praise her and shower love on her everyday more than I do on babies. Then she says I don't love babies enough. If I shower more love on babies, she complains that I think she has become fat and ugly, that's why I don't care for her enough:confused:. Can't win either way.

9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yeh ishq nahi asaan bus itna samaj lijiye.
    Ek aag ka dariya hai aur doob ke jaana hai

This thing called love ain’t easy. I didn’t say it. Ghalib did. Google for better translation.

Amica, satchitananda and Viswamitra like this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Satchi - when the Bachi is old enough to fit in my clothes and shoes and is mistakenfor an adult, I keep telling DH at this age we should stop hugging and taking pics and posting on FB. Bhudapey mein and iss umar mein keeps coming out of my mouth.

satchitananda likes this.