1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ekalavya

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Kamla, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vidya,

Upon seeing your query about Aks, I hurriedly logged on to answer and Manju has beaten me to it!

Check the link below to know more about Aks, not that you need to appear for any exams to answer Ask Aks questions:)) But it was an unusual movie with some very good acting by lead actors and also some different catchy tunes. I quite liked it. I used to know the meaning of Aks, have forgotten now:(
    Thanks for all those nice words, recently. Coming from you, I feel it was to be cherished:)

Aks (2001)

Manju, do let me in...what does B.S.C stand for? Too lazy to figure it out:)

L, Kamla

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Kamla,Manju,

Kamla- Thanks for rushing to log in. I checked the Aks site you had given. Am very educated and confused, isnt that a sign of knowledge? Will try to get a disc today. Aks means 'the reflection' in Hindi (googled it on seeing yr doubt).

BCS- I guess, means Bollywood Challenged soul aka Vidya!

Manju- Thank you for the quick info. No, I have not seen Omkara. I am a few years behind in Hindi movies. But will catch up soon.

But for all of you here, discussing Bollywood, I have only one word. And as I say it, put a sneer a la Saif on my face- the word being Malayalam movies and Mohan Lal.

Visit us in that room and we will teach you what motion pictures are all about!

yours in cinematic erudition,
    Vidya

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

ok,ok. I am a Bollywood fan too. Sorry if any sentiments wounded.

yours in contrition
    VR

4. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Saif-Sneering Vidya,

Would love to visit Mallucinemaparadiso. But , what to do, malayalam challenged !:icon_frown:

Appreciation stops at reading articles about keraliya chalachitrangal. Lalettan is undoubtedly a fine actor. Do like Jayaram too. I catch some in Asianet.

And saw one Chidambaram, kindly subtitled by DD long ago. For Smitha Patil.
    Used to be one Gopi - saw Ormakkayi and one more where a very young Revathi makes an ullu out of older him just to spite a young Lal, with Srividya supplying the tears on the side. Some nice psychology went on there.

Do you smell mothballs ? ya, thats how dated my grand exposure to mal. movies is ! But tell me about Lal's GURU and Vanaprastham and one more begining with T, forget name. Hey, it would be nice if you could give an overview kind of article about Mal. movies.
    But pleeeeeze, no Adoor ! I cried and crawled to escape halfway through "Mukhamukham", or was it "Elipathayam" ? Dunno.

Luv
    Manjula

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Manju,

Nice to talk to you abt Mallu movies. Gopi was a fine actor. In his first movie (with Adoor) he won the Bharat. Don't doubt which Adoor movie u cried thru- Elipathayam or Mukhamukham- it could easily have been both!!

Your exposure to Mallu movies chronologically is the same as mine. I have missed many over the last years. I think the Lalettan movie was Thanmatra. We had our own version of Othello, where Suresh Gopi won a Bharat award.

In the late 80s, early 90s,Mollywood saw many low budget comedy movies. Surprisingly, they were all quite good and entertaining. In recent years, movies by actor Srinivasan have also done well. Chintavishtayaaya Shyaamala is a must-see by every woman. That they made it in Tamil with Navya Nair and some Baacha guy- was atrocious.

But the jewel on the crown- Agnisakshi by Lalithambika Antharjanam directed by Shyam Prasad (a good ole friend and son of ex-minister O.Rajagopal). It is set in a Namboothiri tharavad during the independence struggle. Has patriotism, women's rights, tradition, romance- repressed and rebound,grief,salvation- it is salve for the soul. Shobhana got a National award for that.

Will try to send u some names as and when I get.

yours in companionship
    Vidya

6. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Vidya,
    Thank you for educating me on some good movies. Will try to get hold of Agnisakshi and the original of the Navya- Thangar Bachan tamil one. (it was called Chidambarathil appasami or something) Saw that and commiserated with the Navya character. (But seriously, what does one do with husbands like that ?:bang )

Read about Suresh Gopi's Othello when he got that award. ( is he the old Gopi's son? and oh, BTW, was the cute little boy who acted in Santosh Sivan's hindi Ashoka, Mohanlal"s son ? Heard so )

While reading in your post about comedies, remembered some i saw: One with Juhi Chawla and the two superstars. Was nice fluff. And before that, a neat comedy where the man and woman fight over possession of a house. And he with that kodai ! :-DIt was remade in Tamil and also in hindi. Saw all three. But liked the orig. best because the situation and people were so native and natural. Priyadarshan's all come out in hindi too. So I catch those. Liked the lottery ticket one very much.
    Do keep me posted and informed , not only Mal., but others too. I see everything except Oriya and Hungarian:tongue

Appreciating the companionship
    Manjula