1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ekalavya

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Kamla, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Watched the movie Ekalavya with much interest.

It is always a wrong thing to go watch a movie after reading excellent reviews. I think the movie did not meet with my high expectations of it, too much hype does that to films.

Mind you, the movie was a refreshing experience considering it came from 'Bollywood'. I was especially glad to note that the movie was only one hour and fifty seven minutes long. And it did feel that long. This inspite of the movie moving briskly forwards and introducing many of its characters and the plot right at the beginning itself. Maybe that's what was wrong because we know about all the characters and the storyline and keep hoping that something will happen and that there will be further twists and turns. But no such thing. The rest of the movie is about executing the story to its obvious end.

All the same, the film was a treat to watch. It may not be one of the brilliant films we have ever seen, but it is certainly a path breaker film with a totally new approach. This is how our Indian movies should be, attempting various stories and fables and portraying different emotions and themes. How much of the same boy-meets-girl stories are we going to watch and the other gangster and don movies? They have been done to death!

The look of the movie is simply beautiful. Every frame looks like a painting, the film spells grandeur and opulence. The palace is a work of art and the dessert scenes are amazing.

The film is nothing but Amitabh Bachchan. He is Ekalavya . The title of the film is very apt and not at all misleading as we see him in almost every scene and every frame. All the other actors have just a part to play, but the movie rests solely on our hero's broad shoulders and he does full justice to it.

The background music, one pleasant song and the repeated chantings of Gayatri mantra and a Gita verse set the mood for the film which is more like a Shakespearean drama.

I think one should watch this movie just to encourage new efforts by our Indian film makers and to show our support for good film making.

2. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamla,
    Have not yet got the chance to see Ekalavya. But eagerly waiting to.
    Too much of pre release hype always kills the movie. So its no wonder, Ekalavya dint measure up. The makers have been yapping about it non -stop in the various news channels for days together, wish they'd hush up and let the viewers decide their worth.
    But I am glad I read your review first, for now, I will not go to watch it with stars in my eyes !
    But I have decided to like it, beforehand a) because I love period drama, and b) because of Amitabh Bacchan. I am a total, cut-out worshipping fan of Bacchan, and like him in and as anything. I dont miss any of his commercials either. I loved him even in flops like Kaante and Aks. Cannot forget "Sarkar". He looks so intense and tortured in the promos of "Nishabd" - I'm sure he has handled the "forbidden passion" with finesse in this Indian "Lolita".

Manjula

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Mind you Manju...it is Not a period film! It is set in modern times ...phones, helicopters, tv, cars and all!! Just didn't want to mislead you.

L, Kamla

4. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Thanx Kamla.
    The promos on TV made me think so.
    Now that I am forewarned, I'm forearmed !
    Manjula

5. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Hi Kamla
    Just saw Ekalavya . Janma sapalyam !
    Of course whistled for AB, but beyond that :confused2:

And why the mass bronchitis ? Could hardly make out if people were saying something important or just wheezing.
    Also:confused2: about the constant Gayathri chanting in the background. Whats the connection ? Sad that a powerful mantra has been converted into mood-music.
    One mercy is , no song and dance.
    Opulent packaging. But inside,:icon_frown:

Manjula

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Good Manjula...glad that you too see it that way..this Ekalavya. Surely, something was lacking, it's a shame. Heard that Vidhu Vinod Chopra worked on its script for seven long years...all that time, maybe that's why he lost the track of it:)

Was wondering, did you see Omkara? I would say it belongs to the same genre of films. I really enjoyed Omkara, it was good and a very well made film. Violence is not really my cup of tea, but Omkara was very compulsive. I see it does not figure anywhere in all the award nominations that is happening all over the place now. :idontgetit:

L, Kamla

7. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    Yet to see this, but like u all said after reading the raving reviews, was wondering!
    But ow i will also watch with a pinch of salt....he he...but heard taht cinematography was good...so anyway time pass i guess.
    And Manju like u i have started liking AB...after surprisingly AKS....I enjoyed his work, against Manoj Bajpai...by the way where is he nowadays....

I too am waiting for Nishabd, lets hope it will bo good andlike KANK!

8. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Kamla, I saw Omkara too. It was much ,much better than Eklavya. Shakespeare slipped seamlessly into our cow-belt backyard. The whole film had that raw feeling to it. Saif Ali Khan was just superb in his look, body language, dialogue delivery and that permanent sneer on his face. It was undoubtedly his film thro'out, though Devgan , with his one and a half intense expressions, tried hard to be hero ! ( Only, there was too much ma-behn-gaalis burning the ears !)
    Last week during Filmfare awards, Omkara did appear among nominations on the technical side and for negative role actor. Saif got it I think.

Sudha, I'm glad someone else liked Aks too ! I have only been hearing tch-tchs about Big B. doing a psycho role like that, but I think these are the kind of characters that demand good acting.

And oh, please ! I am hoping Nishabd will NOT be like KANK ! Anyway, Ram Gopal Verma and Karan Johar are as diff. as from Mars and Jupiter. ( and they are always in a slanging match in page3s !)

Luv
    Manjula

9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Fellow Saif Ali Khan fans,

what is AKS? Educate a Bollywood challenged soul???:idontgetit:

10. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear B.C.S

AKS is an old movie ( maybe 3 or 4 yrs) starring AB and Manoj Bajpai primarily.( and Raveena Tandon and Nandita Bose, secondarily.) It was a strange movie about psycho infiltration :)confused2:) where the personality of a murderer ( Bajpai) seeps into the psyche of his nemesis, AB. All very "Face-Off" ( Nicholas Cage movie)like and ponderous questions like who am I, pondered upon ! Very noire ! ( even AB's clothes, always Noire !) It returned to the cans in unseemly haste because the director thought he should simplify for the front benchers and put in saffron samiyars which did nothing for the movie.
    But as always, AB was BIG B.

No Saif in all this.
    But did you see Omkara ? Thought what ?
    Luv
    Manjula