1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Education = Empowerment, Illiteracy = Vulnerability? Think again!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Dec 26, 2013.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

HI Sats
    This has become a general discussion thread. :)
    I was thinking more on this.

I feel education should not be looked upon as a problem solver but as a catalyst.
    It helps in creating awareness and to make informed decisions whether the person is employed or not.

Chemistry or history degrees will not teach you how to deal with a problematic spouse directly. However, knowing a little about how people lived in yesteryears and knowing something about atoms, opens up a world of the unknown.

We become more aware that there are things beyond just eating and sleeping.

Education is only the key to the door. The more we know more doors open. Each individual chooses to use the key to open one, or many, the right, the wrong, or no doors.

Just before applying for my higher education I expressed to my husband my wish to study further .
    He said, "stop studying and start learning". That statement made me look at education in the proper perspective.

This is just out of curiosity. Not meant to undermine your stance in any way.
    I know this thread is just looking at from a woman's perspective. However, I was thinking if the roles were changed how would we as a society treat this.

Suppose a wife commits adultery; she also does not contribute in earning anything for the family. She is also lazy, does not maintain the home. Let us assume she has no education to help her find a job.

The husband still goes along with the marriage to give the children a family atmosphere, or out of pity knowing she cannot earn, or for the extended family's sake.

Would the society blame him for not using his education properly? Won't the society blame him as cruel if he chooses to throw her out?

There are situations like this too where the man is disgusted with wife's habits but still stays in a marriage.
    So my conclusion is what I said earlier. Education is to help us develop ourselves and not a development as is.

Thanks for a post that made me think. You do give my brain some workout, girl!!

4 people like this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vijima,

You are very right. There is a lot of social pressure on women, which is the reason why they are unable to come out of the fix they are in.

I really admire women who are strong enough like your relative's daughter to stand on their own and others who are strong enough to come out of abusive relationships.

Whatever the reason, Vijima, this is the reason why nothing changes. See how patriarchal society has designed things - put social pressure on women to get married and remain married, ensure she can't come out easily and then continue to trouble her. So that means the entire institutions of marriage, family and society is being carried on the shoulders of women. Imagine what would happen if more and more women started rebelling. Families would collapse. Isn't that a sad state of affairs?

Sure, there are families and marriages which run relatively smoothly because both partners are mature and mutually adjusting. But unfortunately there are also many which do not.

For these institutions to survive, it is imperative some positive changes are brought about ..... and that will happen only when society i.e. most people including you, me, our relatives, our friends, our families and more slowly start waking up and changing according to the need of the times.

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

Dear Kamala,

I agree this has become a general discussion thread. :-D But that's alright I guess.

Perfectly said. This is just what I keep saying. We are a literate, qualified country, but sadly enough not necessarily well-educated. We have a long way to go before the majority of the populace becomes truly well "educated"before we see any real changes on a larger scale.

Suppose a wife commits adultery;

Kamala, I doubt there would be many men willing to forgive adultery (except may be a very occasional one). In a country where so many men keep blaming perfectly faithful wives based on nothing more than a suspicious nature, I doubt that would happen. Yes, there are women who indulge in adultery and I don't think they would get support even from other women, leave alone from their husbands. However, I wonder how many women have the time to go about having multiple, casual affairs, hanging around street corners and flirting with sundry males. The incidence of this kind of behaviour is still significantly higher in males simply because it is tolerated more.

..... she also does not contribute in earning anything for the family. Let us assume she has no education to help her find a job.

In a lot of families (leaving out a minority), it is often the ILs/husbands who decide whether the woman works or not. When she works, the money often goes to the common kitty. As for a woman with no education, all we need to do is take a look at the matrimonial columns to see how many families specify to the "T" how much education the girl should have, whether she should be working or a home-bound, whether she should work in a public sector undertaking ..... So if she is uneducated or not working, I would assume the ILs or husband want it that way.

..... She is also lazy, does not maintain the home.

As for laziness, it is a very subjective term. It would only be a very rare woman who would do NO work at home whatsoever and just lounge around expecting to be fed and would they ever be allowed to do that, unless they are physically unfit to do any work or are bed ridden? I am sure a man who quit a marriage with such a woman would get a lot more understanding. Consider the number of "innocent" male divorcees who get married against the "innocent" female divorcees.

Even a man who throws out his ailing wife because she cannot carry out her domestic tasks/"wifely duties" would get a certain degree of sympathy and understanding to the extent not many people would not castigate him completely for his action. Right or wrong, that is the state of affairs. How many men get married a second time - legally or illegally - because the first wife can't have a kid? There might be some people who would feel he is wrong. The question of education would not come up in this case, because qualified or not, educated or not, men already have their rights granted to them without question. However in case of women, the question of qualifications (commonly referred to as "education") comes up because we hope and expect that it empowers them to the extent of their becoming financially independent.

The husband still goes along with the marriage to give the children a family atmosphere, or out of pity knowing she cannot earn, or for the extended family's sake.

Would the society blame him for not using his education properly? Won't the society blame him as cruel if he chooses to throw her out?

A man who is considerate towards his wife or lives on in a marriage for the sake of his children is in fact talked of very highly simply because it is assumed that he wouldn't or because it is not expected of him. Whereas in the case of a wife, the opposite is the case. She is expected to be tolerant. If she protests, it is not taken to very kindly.

Over the decades we have accepted that she has to put up with whatever is her "destiny" because she is financially dependent. She cannot stand on her own and society will not support her. It is therefore that the question of her being "educated" comes up - if she if financially independent, what prevents her from walking away from abuse? Of course a number of others reasons preventing her from doing so have been mentioned above by so many members.
    [/QUOTE]

3 people like this.
  4. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Dear Satchi, Such a thought provoking post. It is true that however educated and independent our women folk are, when it comes to walking out of marriage, it becomes very difficult for them. I think that we have been brought up that way. The only advice a woman receives from her parents or whoever she turns to for help is that "kalyanam aayiram kaalathu payir" meaning marriage should last for ever and only the women fold should adjust and adapt their life. The society also looks down the women who lives a separated life. But when the woman realises that the so called society doesn't come to her rescue when she is in utter distress, she decides wisely and boldly. Thank you for a nice post. Regards,

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Thanks Maalti for the nice FB. :)

6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Sats for a very thoughtful answer to my hypothetical question.

I don't know whether/or how many men forgive adultery Sats. I wonder if statistics exists based on this.

We may never know because if a man decides to forgive his wife he will not talk to anyone about it. There is no need to.

It does not mean that there are no men who are magnanimous at heart.

Just a clarification:

I attributed all those characteristics to just one woman who is really mirroring
    the behavior of the man in question in the original post. I thought you called the fellow a parasite. That's why I had to add the word lazy.
    Have a happy weekend.

1 person likes this.
  7. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi - Thank you for the detailed response.

After I hit sent I also realized that there was another point that I wanted to mention.

Since we are talking about educated and literate women, there is a possibility that we turn the discussion around and ask - why educated and well-placed men behave in oppressive fashion. I forgot to add that asking the wife "why don't you walk away" puts more blame on her. Shouldn't we also be asking the man "why he is behaving this way?" What happened to all the education and literacy? For the relationship to work, both have to take some burden.

One of my extremely close friend, who I know to be so confident and so strong-willed told me recently that a routine argument with her husband turned nasty. The guy went on to strangle her and she had to kick him hard to save herself. She threatened to file a police complaint and says that since then her husband and she do have fights but he's never gotten physically abusive.

I know of a friend (A) who is in a physically abusive relationship, when another friend (B) told her that B's husband pocketed her entire pay check and does not even give her money for basic necessities. A told her "what are you complaining about, not that you are going hungry! You should be thankful he does not beat you at least!" That is the sad situation.

It really wonders me sometimes, why educated men who seem to have it all together and have had exposure behave in this way at times and I wonder is it because consciously and sub-consciously human cultures have normalized violence against women. There are so many forms of violence - emotional and financial but somewhere we believe that as long as there is no physical abuse it is okay to continue in a relationship.

Our movies, songs, pop-culture, it exists everywhere subtly and not so subtly - and it is as if we are scared of questioning it.

I think maybe having gender sensitized education both at home and at school is a good place to start.

P.S - the entire argument about infidelity challenged me to think in a different way, I will reflect upon it. But it also reminded me of two Hindi movies that I absolutely love - Arth and Astitva.

I think Arth was revolutionary in many ways because the wife does not accept the husband back after his infidelity. In fact, she questions him that had she returned to him after having an extra marital affair, would he accept her and he honestly replies "No."
    A friend once very poignantly stated that in Arth, Shabana Azmi plays the wronged wife but in real life she had an affair with the much married Javed Akhtar!

Sorry got carried away a little but I guess the movies discussion is for another thread :)

4 people like this.
  8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

One more angle is also there. Quite some men also suffer in a marriage. They just go on suffering to be with children. I know a person who sticked to the marriage in spite of all the emotional abuse (which is worst of all kinds of abuses). I asked him why? What he told is that he is there to be with his daughter and be there to see all her development and various phases of growth. Daughter also loves her father very much. They are in USA...he is a scientist and she a doctor. They are living in a country where society does not raise their voice or comment on anyone's personal life. But he made his choice. Daughter is studying medicine and that man is in late 50s.So, life doesn't follow a rule and rhyme. It is much more complicated.

Syamala

2 people like this.
  9. satchitananda

Since, as you say, there are no statistics that we know of, my observations are based on the larger picture available to us from what we see around us in daily life. Sure, there are men who are magnanimous at heart. I guess those would also be a minority but then don't have statistical figures to prove my point.

Wow! Here is a topic for a full-fledged Ph.D in the Indian context. :-D Unfortunately I won't be the one doing it, for reasons well known to you.

As for the word "lazy", may be I could fit that image as of today. It has not been like this always. In the past I worked my back side off - 24 X 7 except for sleeping ours. However, over the last 3-4 years, one can say I don't do anything in the house - other than the odd job here or there and supervising domestic helps and cooks to the extent they will allow themselves to be supervised. No, my husband has not thrown me out yet. Thank God for that, because I am not financially independent today and even to run away from home or to get kicked out of home, I'll have to take the money from him!!!!! :hide: So much for empowerment. Ha!

10. satchitananda

Dear Arch,