1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Education = Empowerment, Illiteracy = Vulnerability? Think again!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Re: Education = Empowrment, Illiteracy = Vulnerability? Think again!

Dear Satchi,

I am sorry for posting another response here. JAG and Shanvy brought up some very good points that made me think a little bit more. Besides social pressure, concern for parents, welfare of children, etc., there is some personal feeling to give it a try as much as possible. One who abuses sometimes reconcile quickly to make the institution of marriage work. The one who is being abused gives a long rope before making a firm step. May be they make the first effort to make it work by fixing the issue within the marriage. If that fails then only they think about separation. Even in Western world where separation is not uncommon, I know many are reluctant to walk away from the marriage. Even infidelity is pardoned very easily. Somehow, I feel some are influenced by the deep religious sentiments while others don't want to be part of a failed marriage. They probably consider that as a great intellectual challenge in case of elite families. Their ego might be deeply hurt that they were not able to make a marriage work. I am only guessing all these reasons as it is difficult to read the minds of couple who are not leading a healthy married life.

Speaking of social pressure, it is rather painful to watch programs like "Kalyanamalai" where the bridegrooms parents or siblings request for brides that are adjusting to the needs of the bridegroom's family. My question is why the adjustment is expected only from women and not from men? When the bride's parents or siblings request for bridegroom, they request for someone who would take very good care of the bride. In this situation, we consider the men to be the care taker and women to be the adjuster. Where is the equality? In the current generation, both men and women work and why one should be the caretaker and the other be one that adjusts to the needs of the husband? Why can't both play an equal role? These kind of social pressures should be completely eliminated.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  2. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Satchi.. dear.. this is "ghar Ghar ki Kahaani'.. it surpasses all classes/ religions and nations..
    Kerman

2 people like this.
  3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hey sats,

as always well written on a topic that gets us all agitated. :) But what everyone has said here makes so much sense.I agree with Shan that it has NOTHING to do with education.Self worth and confidence is what matters and parents play a huge role in developing this in their kids.I also agree with Balajee and Viswa sir about social pressure. it is the middle class that always thinks " what will people say".
    anyway kudos to your maid for having the guts to come out of the relationship that gave her no happiness.

1 person likes this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi JAG, nice to see you here. :) No doubt, what we get to see as outsiders is only a partial picture. Also agree with you that it is hard to walk out of even a friendship or live-in relationship, leave alone a marriage. No one can deny the emotional issues involved, and I agree it makes it hard for anyone to quit a marriage. (In fact that is one reason I do not believe people walk out of marriages on a mere whim or that live-in relationships are any less emotionally valid than legally accepted ones).

However, when I talk of separation, I am talking of cases where continuing in the marriage is like whipping a dead horse. There is no emotional involvement left, there is no love left, in fact the only emotion left might be deep rooted resentment or even hatred, not to mention the risk of physical violence and more. What I am talking of is when women are so obviously in distress, but can't bring themselves to walk out despite claiming (yes, one can always ask if these claims are honest or not) their desire to get out. But when faced with the actual reality of walking out, I feel many still dither due to a certain inability to gather up their courage. It is (as far as I can see) the fear of the unknown as well as the known consequences that holds them back.

3 people like this.
  5. satchitananda

Dear Shyamala,

6. satchitananda

Dear Shanvy,

1 person likes this.
  7. satchitananda

Dear Viswamitra,

It is really nice when a topic becomes the subject for a healthy discussion between individuals and an exchange of thought processes. Isn't this what makes us grow intellectually and as persons?

As for social inequalities and eliminating them, I am not so sure it is going to happen very smoothly without a struggle. No one wants to change a convenient status quo except those who are not happy with that state of affairs - generally speaking the underdogs. No one is going to give them their rights on a platter. Every change in society (be it the right to vote, the right to education, the right to enter temples ...... ) has necessarily been achieved only through a lot of struggle and struggle is never comfortable for anyone - the victimizers or the victims. Even the Satyagraha which was non-violent was not easy after all.

1 person likes this.
  8. satchitananda

Very true Kelly. I only feel very sad when people, for whatever reasons, are not willing to or not able to get out of their unhappy situations.

9. satchitananda

Hey, thanks Mindi. :) As for my maid, her husband has been delivered home by her brothers. So he is still around. I do hope she will be able to keep him in her place. I worry for her safety if this cove is gadding around with other women. I do my best to keep her aware of various stuff. Then the rest is up to her.

10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sats
    I was thinking of the biblical story of the prodigal son. Giving chances to the person who commits mistakes.
    We always do that, even hoard-core criminals sometimes. A second chance at life.
    Perhaps that is the discerning power the lady in question has.

Forgiveness is universal.

I agree with JAG. We are not privy to the lady's environment and family situation in totality.
    All said, society still plays a major role in our lives. She must have thought about the impact to her children as they grow up, the taboos they may/will face from their peers and relatives. The ill treatment meted out by family. Who knows.

This applies not only to the lady in question but to all women and men who have unhappy marriages, who just don't give up and quit.

I think the lady's education, whatever she has had, has given her the power to not just think of short term solution but also think and analyze the long-term impact of her actions.
    Perhaps she has given her husband a second chance with certain conditions.

I agree with Shan's explanation on the institution of marriage.

3 people like this.