Edible Diyas for Deepaavali

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by Blondie, Nov 7, 2007.

1. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Blondie,
    A wonderful idea. Thanks a lot for sharing it. Will use this idea next year.

2. ketal

ketal Bronze IL'ite

Wa....Wa...........:crazyVery good idea and suggestion

ketal

3. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Vandhana,

It was no work at all. With the almond paste and marzipan available in the grocery stores, you can make them in a jiffy. They are expensive though costs about 10$ for an 8 oz. tube of marzipan. Almond paste cans are a bit cheaper but the consistensy is not right. I make almond paste at home and freeze (good for a year) and gives my athamma some work (this time I used packets made and frozen by her during her visit this summer). All I did was reheat add some more powdered sugar and food coloring.

The credit for the idea goes to my friend who had sweets custom made for her son's reception, in the shapes of sitaphal, pineapple, mitha paan all made from marzipan. I was remembering her sweets when this idea struck me. If we can mold into different shapes then why not Diya shape??

Happy deepaavali to you too.....

4. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Madhu, Slp

Thanks....Yes they did turn out good.

kantiki impuga unte ruchi elaa unna kuda kadupu nindutundi avunaa?

but they tasted really yummy too....all the uneven pieces from the barfi were slurped up by my son while he was pretending to help me :-o

happy deepaavali to you both.....

5. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

SK,

for kartheeka pournami, we light a deepam with 365 wicks near the tulsi plant. My Elders say that by this, it is the same as lighting a deepam every day. If you are too pressed for time you can use the marzipan paste available in the bakery isle at the grocery store. Just adjust the sugar according to taste and can be slightly warmed in the mw.. No cooking needed:-o

We use the diyas made of rice flour, ghee and sugar to place the 365 wicks ( my athamma calls it akhanda deepam), all bunched together. With the tulsi plant now in my sunroom, i have to settle for keeping the diya there for a minute, and then move it out side to burn out (peace of mind for my husband) so that it doesn't set off the fire alarm.

6. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Kamla,

I felt that way too ....that they look too good to eat. But my family proved me wrong. the ones which didn't make into boxes were left in a plate on the counter. All of them were gone by the time i came back from the gym, with a single tiny one (half eaten ) remaining on the plate:-(

Happy deepaavali....

7. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Aarushi,

most of the credit goes to my son who had figured out the camera settings and taken such nice pictures in addition to wolfing down some diyas and kept me going by his delighted yummy sounds....

happy deepaavali...

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks,Blondie, for the marzipan paste idea. will try!
    I like the 'Akanda Deepam' idea of keeping 365 wicks near the Tulasi plant.
    How are you maintaining the Tulasi plant? Last year, it came out well but didn't make it during winter, eventhough we kept it inside.

sriniketan

9. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Pushpa,
    I just saw your 'Edible Diyas' ,:clap:clap:clap They are soooooooooo nice to see. Yummy too:tongue Great Idea. Thanks for sharing this idea with us. Convey my hearty congs. to your son, who took the photos for us.:hatsoff

10. sravy

sravy Bronze IL'ite

Hi Blondie ,

chala adbutanga vundi me idea , chala baga chesaru .thanks for sharing this .:)