Ed.d., Ph.d., M.d., And Just Plain Old Doctor Of Whatever...dowhat

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Hopikrishnan, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

This Doctor thing of Jill had come up a decade ago in the news ( LA Times) but not in the manner of the Espstein's WSJ article.

Hi, I’m Jill. Jill Biden. But please, call me Dr. Biden
    By ROBIN ABCARIAN
    FEB. 2, 2009
    12 AM
    Vice President Joe Biden often joked on the campaign trail about his wife’s lofty educational achievements. She had two master’s degrees and had already worked for nearly a quarter-century as a college community instructor. But he had a better idea.

“Why don’t you go out and get a doctorate and make us some real money?” he said he told her. (That was always good for a laugh, especially in university towns.)

In 2007, at 55, Jill Biden did earn a doctorate -- in education, from the University of Delaware. Since then, in campaign news releases and now in White House announcements, she is “Dr. Jill Biden.” This strikes some people as perfectly appropriate and others as slightly pompous, a quality often ascribed to her voluble husband.
    < etc. etc... Source: Hi, I'm Jill. Jill Biden. But please, call me Dr. Biden

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I agree with everything you have said.
    The qualification of the FLOTUS awarded by a real university isn’t a matter of diminishing standards nor is it a matter of national security. Just like Melania’s nude pictures, her EB1 Green card which is reserved for scientists and PhDs, her lack of claimed qualifications etc don’t matter to the presidency, so does the content of the new FLOTUS’ thesis.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

This thread reminds me physiotherapists we’re happily prefixing ‘Dr’ to their name for so many years. But a few years back, a set of senior MBBS and real doctors in philosophy protested and lodged complaint with medical council and indian medical council ordered that it is illegal for physios to prefix this title to their names. There was strike for few days. But title remain in old name boards of physios lab and centres.

It TN it is quid pro quo. You appoint me as vice chancellor and I shall arrange Felicita’s ion and doctorate degree . The honour and respect that Dr. commanded has gone into nearest bin the moment every Tom Dick & Harry and upstarts start getting Doctorate from their university of choice.

After congress shown the doors from then madras, Doctorate degree goes abegging for politicians. I have a friend who had earned his doctorate dislike being called so.

Hopikrishnan likes this.
  4. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Well.... there is a similar allegation about a Senator of a State and the Ed.D. degree for the wife at the State supported University.

But we must surely feel sorry for the victim who is roasted by quite a lot. Even those who come out in support seem like they have their tongue in the cheek.

I saw another article about the Jill Dissertation where Ingmar Bergman had been invoked: :roflmao:
    "My friends, I have read this document in its entirety and it is so equally lacking in rhetorical force, boldness of conception, and original research that it amounts to a triple null set, a vacuum inside a blank inside an abyss. If Ingmar Bergman were alive and hired to make a film about this paper, he would say, “I can’t do it, there’s so much emptiness even I cannot grasp it,” and it would sound so much worse in Swedish that suicide hotlines would have to hire extra staff. "​

Celebrity life is tough. However, they have thick skins to get over this, because the next gaff-flap is not too far ahead.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020