Eating Coconut Chutney Daily.

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by sneha1985, Aug 7, 2016.

1. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

I have known that South Indian population usually eat dosa and idli for their breakfast.

Do you also consume coconut chutney everyday? Is it healthy to eat everyday? For health purposes, I eat bean dosa/idli daily and I was thinking to add coconut chutney too because that way I can include coconut in my diet, but am not sure if eating daily would make me gain weight.

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@sneha1985
    Hi, I would like to start this post by saying- I am a south Indian and NO not all southies eat idli/ dosas every day. Where I come from we eat loads of rice dishes.
    In long term dosa/ idli may cause diabetes even with usage of coconut chutney.
    Coconut by itself in chutney/ sambar/ kootu/saagu is very good. I have heard that coconut can bring down or lessen the possibility of one having thyroid problems.
    To not gain weight- try to eliminate or use less of rice.

Hope this helps.
    Goodluck

3. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Coconut is definitely high calorie. Coconut water however is the best appetite suppressant.
    Don't take to including coconut chutney as part of your daily diet as it may seriously cause weight gain. If you need to do however please do so in moderation - like a spoon or two. If you're on a weight loss diet adding coconut is counter productive. There is a school of thought that your body is automatically conditioned to process certain foods that have been consumed for generations by your ancestors. So if you're a keralite for example where coconut is part of their regular diet, it may somewhat work. But there is no scientific proof.

4. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Hi @sneha1985
    I'm a north Indian but include one coconut per week in diet either in the form of Chutney or raw eating purposes or adding to gravy of various curries....it's healthy a d loaded with nutrients.

5. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

@sneha1985 ....i heard eating a small piece of coconut daily is healthy. Anything more is not healthy and adds up to the calories. I like the coconut chutney, (which is made completely with coconut and green chillies) with hot rice.....but hmmm, sometimes it gives a heavy feeling......

6. Elastigirl

Elastigirl New IL'ite

Hi,

Everyday, we are fed false news by the media about our food choices. The truth is, our ancestors were perfectly healthy with good longevity and they never stopped eating coconut everyday. Infact, the role that was played by coconut in everyone's life led to it being regarded as auspicious and was included in the daily worship of our deities. Please understand that coconut is primarily used in every way by malayalees and they are perfectly healthy with glowing skin and raven hair. It has been recently found by researchers that coconut increases the basal metabolic rate of the body and if consumed first thing in the morning, it has tendencies to make the body lose weight. That is the early wisdom of our ancestors to include it in our breakfast. Please continue to eat everyday and not feel guilty about it. It is very healthy with all the proper saturated fatty acids needed to maintain a healthy skin and brain. Now in the west, it has become a trend to include coconut in every form to have a healthy body. I eat coconut chutney everyday with dosa and I am well below the admissible weight range for my age and so are my children. I hope this helps. Bye, have a nice day.

7. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

Hi @sneha1985
    I am no south indian but I love south indian food especially various types of chutneys they make down south. I am not sure if you will cook fresh coconut chutney everyday. But read somewhere long ago that once mixed and crushed with wet ingredients, coconut starts to loose nutrition every day. So if you decide to consume it, eat fresh as much as you can.
    We normally don't eat a lot of chutneys but use virgin coconut oil as our base oil for making food, mainly to support immune system of body. But use it in moderation. DH had high cholesterol problems earlier, so switched to coconut oil ( use it in morning breakfast) and grapeseed oil (for all other cooking). Eating in moderation will not affect the weight if you support it with moderate regular exercise. Hope it helps!

Vedhavalli likes this.
  8. kalcandu

kalcandu Silver IL'ite

I had similar concerns when I got married to a Keralite. MIL doled out coconut chutneys daily and husband demanded the same. I was astonished as in my household we consume coconut in moderate quantities(I am from TN) and chutney is rationed out(once a week in a family of 6). I aired my concerns to my MIL and she pooh poohed them saying they have been consuming coconut like this for years and nothing has happened to them. Slowly I started getting used to eating a coconut heavy diet and now I cater to the palate of my husband by cooking regularly with coconut, without worrying about the quantity. I have to agree that dishes with coconut are tastier than without!

I too now believe that the views of Men of Science cannot be depended blindly. Coconut in moderation should be reasonably safe to consume

Vedhavalli likes this.
  9. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Coconut when consumed without cooking like in chutney is actually healthy. Doesn't give bad cholesterol. But once it is used in gravies and allowed to boil for a long time,it gives bad cholesterol to our body.And coconut milk is considered the healthiest food for mankind.So choose coconut recipes wisely to gain health in the long term.

Vedhavalli likes this.
  10. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

I have read somewhere, eating anything in moderation is good for health.
    Coconut oil increases metabolic rate.
    Coconut as fresh increases digestion power and gives strength to teeth.
    my kid's doc told this, when my kiddo started teething, doc told give long slender coconut pieces.
    In West coconut oil is hot selling one! 1lb25$
    I think, the corporate politics plays a role here. They propaganda coconut n other traditional oils are bad new oils corn, sunflower, rice bran, xx,yy oils are good. Our people believe in TV ads than ancestors...
    So stick to our forefathers