1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Eat Indian curry to lose weight(nice article)

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by sagathika, May 22, 2009.

1. sagathika

sagathika Junior IL'ite

Eat Indian curry to lose weight

LONDON: Eating lots of curry may help you lose weight, research suggests.

Scientists believe that haldi, or turmeric, which is used in most Indian meals, has an active ingredient that can help fight obesity.
    A meal that includes haldi will lead to less weight gain than one without the yellow powder.
    This is because haldi contains a plant-based chemical called curcumin which suppresses the growth of fat tissue in mice and human cell cultures, according to a study by Tufts University in Boston, published in the Journal of Nutrition.
    Curcumin is also easily absorbed by the body, the researchers said, after experiments on mice.
    "Weight gain is the result of the growth and expansion of fat tissue, which cannot happen unless new blood vessels form, a process known as angiogenesis," said senior study author Mohsen Meydani of the Jean Mayer U.S. Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts.
    "Based on our data, curcumin appears to suppress angiogenic activity in the fat tissue of mice fed high fat diets," he said in a statement.
    In particular, turmeric is effective when added to a high-fat meal, suggesting it could help fight obesity.
    Researchers gave one set of mice high-fat diets and another set the same food with 500mg of curcumin added to each meal.
    After 12 weeks, the mice which were fed curcumin weighed less than those which did not eat it.
    The next step will be to perform clinical trials on humans, said the researchers.
    Check this article of india times:
    Eat Indian curry to lose weight - Health - Health & Science - The Times of India

:rotflsagathika

1 person likes this.

2. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sagathika,

First time I'm hearing that Haldi helps in reducing weight..

Whenever I add haldi to food, my DH refuses it.. Hereafter, I can tell him and add it.. :)

Thanks for this useful information.

3. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Good news...
    I use a lot of haldi.. Thanx for the information..

4. Happypriya

Happypriya Junior IL'ite

I use lot of haldi..

5. LLavanya

LLavanya Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing the useful information.