1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Eat, Drink and Evolve

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Aug 22, 2012.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Re: Eat, Drink and Grow

Yes Insha, and this is a history for fools who despite so many experiences let down their defences and keep repeating the same mistakes again and again. :-(

2. satchitananda

True Balajee. If I had not discovered that I had bitten into a mutton kofta, beef samosa or chicken, I would in all probability even enjoyed it and eaten, because the taste was nothing very different. I am unable to give up some stuff like pasta with pasta sauce. Which means that I have to check the labels on the bottles very carefully - a bottle of pesto once had a brown lable, and after straining my eyes with glasses on, I realized that it had egg in it. But that was enough, I could not eat it for fear there may be other components that are not on the label. Like you said it is conditioning which has turned into firm convictions. It is hard to let go of those.

3. satchitananda

Hi Mindian,

4. satchitananda

Hi Riya,

You meanie. Hrrrmpppphhhhhh.......... No am not colourblind. If I were, it would have been good. I would not have discovered my gaffe and I would have eaten happily ever after. :-(

5. satchitananda

Hi Ashima,

Glad you had a good laugh. :-D At least some good came out of my eating chicken. Your friend must be a brave soul to agree to marry a non-vegetarian if she has to cook non-veg or accept it being brought into the house. But there are couples where either the vegetarian member accepts that or the non veg eating member agrees to eat it outside the house.

I am glad I can eat eggs without much concern. It is hard enough having to check out every label one sees in the shops. It is terrible when one goes to other countries and has to eat being doubly careful.

6. satchitananda

Hi Archana,

7. satchitananda

Hi Getstrngth,

Mercifully, once when I went to buy pasta sauce I noticed the brown mark on the bottle before buying it. Otherwise I would have found out too late. But it was very upsetting that one could not even buy something as simple as pasta sauce without much ado. :-( Now since I don't mind eggs, it is double work. I don't have the heart to keep the bottle away without checking out the label in detail - which is rather painful, given that the letters are smaller than ants. So more often than not, I end up putting the bottle away.

1 person likes this.
  8. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Hey Satchitananda,
    Thats one joy post to read. But the subtle nuisances of the post I liked very much.

Once one of my friend told, "If one is brought up eating Non-veg, he / she will be accustomed to that and same case with eating Vegeterian food, and one need not to show their displeasure if the other eats non-veg ... Its more than personal choice, it is about way they have accustomed, later stages its once choice but cant be enforced.".. I still remember this and from then on I dnt have any problem even if someone next to me eat non-veg foods. Earlier I was like going away from that place. I think I have accepted it and able to distinguish the character and their food habits.

I think, I have taken different direction. But one point I liked / concluded from your post is as we grow up and as we get exposed different circumstances (apart from what our family has told and made us believe thats the only correct choice) we will be able to understand and accept the differences and in the process we grow up.

Thanks for a lovely write up.

1 person likes this.
  9. Vasupradha

Vasupradha Gold IL'ite

Hi Satchi akka,

Am happy, as I am not the only one, with cries... Though others think as little things, they matter more for me...that too while eating...My new set of friends in college,got astonished by the way, I share my tiffin box with them...First, I will keep some portion of my food, in the plate and pass it to everyone for taste and when some liked to have more, then I will transfer some more to the plate and eat mine, in the box...and wont allow eating from my tiffin box with their spoon...But they adjusted and got used to me, as they have already a gal like me, among them..And my hubby for the first time, took me to Restaurant and casually took the gobi manchurian from my plate with his spoon...and I stopped him...He asked me why?? And I told my habit , not to use his spoons in my plate ...He imdtly took my spoon and started to eat...And rest I leave it to your guess...and till date, he use to lick his spoon and take the food from my plate, to irritate me...Oh think I am deviating much....But your post made me to remember those moments...But some friends, without knowing me, casually have my food, with their spoon and me...tried hard to control my tears and anger in school and college days...And I have no problem, when they have some non-veg, sitting next to me...Its their wish..and I share and have theirs too, only if its veggi...( Note- Spoon rules apply )Though I am the same now, think by your age, I can get the maturity to accept like you....
    Nice akka...I loved the way you narrated humourously...

Vasu...

1 person likes this.
  10. satchitananda

Hi Pallavi,