Easy good spinach quiche recipe w/o crust

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by tashidelek2002, Jan 1, 2010.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I dragged out an old recipe the other night that I got from my mom years ago which she got from someone else....its such a good recipe that it has made the rounds through cooking friends. It is so delicious but also it is good reheated or taken room temperature in a lunch or you could put it out at a potluck. I think it would be deliciously Indianized if you spice it like palak paneer (green chilli, some cumin, whatever you normally use). Most quiche require a crust but this recipe instead of a crust uses wheat germ. If you want the crust then go ahead and make that and use or just use a premade frozen crust.

On a regular size 9" round pie plate (not deep dish) run oil over the plate to cover and then sprinkle on a layer of wheat germ. Don't touch it!

In a saucepan, heat one box of frozen chopped spinach to warm it up. Turn off the heat and stir in 3-4 oz of cream cheese (that would be one small package or 1/2 one large package), 1 T. lemon juice, 1 T. wine vinegar (this is called grape vinegar in India), and 1 t. dill weed. Stir in 1 1/2 c grated cheese. (The recipe says to use three kinds always using Swiss for one but I don't like Swiss cheese so I used a mix of Monterey jack and Colby. Use what you like but use some kind with stronger flavor not mozzarella.) Stir in 2 small or 3 large eggs, pour into pie plate and bake 325F until bubbly all over (30-40 mins.).

Hope you enjoy!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010

2. mayachaudhuri

mayachaudhuri Senior IL'ite

Dear Tashi ,
    Can you post the picture of the dish..I love spinach....and the recipe sounds mouthwatering!!!

3. tashidelek2002

:rotfl I have finished it....will post on the next one. If you have some questions that I have not explained properly, please let me know and I will answer.

4. tashidelek2002

As asked, here is a pic of the quiche BUT I made it with a pie crust and I used nutmeg instead of dill and put a few blobs of goat cheese on top. With it I am having a glass of homemade peapod wine, buttered corn muffins and some pickled vegetables.

Attached Files:

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

yummmm....looks very delicious. Will try in my next get together. Thanks for sharing.

6. pixelarch

pixelarch Senior IL'ite

Hi Tina

Your pic of spinach quiche and corn muffins look very good. Thanks for sharing the recipe, would love to make it at home.
    Would you share the recipe of this pie crust / process how u make it ?
    Alternatively where can i buy a good pre-made crust from ?
    How do u make peapod wine ?

Thanks
    P

7. tashidelek2002

Pixielarch:
    the pie crust is just one out of the dairy refrigerated section of the grocery store but I have to say I do prefer it with out the crust and using just oil and wheat germ. I am going back to that next time. You can also buy pie crusts premade in the freezer section in baking tins...they are very handy for mixing up quick quiches. Peapod wine is made from the pods that are usually thrown away after shelling peas (matar). My neighbor freezes a lot of them so I just got her to send them my way instead of tossing them. Winemaking is complicated so no directions forth coming at this point. You might get CJ Berry's beginning winemaking book and study that. You can get the initial winemaking equipment and chemicals online. Do you plan to try winemaking? You can also get kits for grape wines that are easy. I only do nongrape wines aka country wines.

8. pixelarch

pixelarch Senior IL'ite

Tina,
    Thanks for all the info. I will look for the pie crust in safeway / TJ or wholefoods when i go there. Im eager to make it the other way ie using oil and wheatgerm. Which is a better place to get wheatgerm TJ or wholefoods. Do you get it in walmart ?

The name Peapod really intrigued me and i was interested in knowing what / how it is made. Im not into making wines though i enjoyed my trip to Napa Valley

9. tashidelek2002

Pixielarch:
    Just buy any wheatgerm...not too critical. If you can find in a bulk food place then try that and just get a small bag.

Happy cooking.

10. mayachaudhuri

mayachaudhuri Senior IL'ite

Dear Tashi
    Thank you so much for the pic..I have some spinach...and I will try it soon...
    By the way..another request..Can you share the recipe of corn muffins ?