1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Easum or Nestum?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Padminiramesh, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Mommies,

LO has been suffering from loose motion since last friday and it kind of settling down now. Yesterday when i visited my Pedi, he prescribed me the following diet
    solids
    1. Home made rice kanji
    2. Nestum Rice

Liquids
    1. BM
    2. Orange Juice
    3. Apple Juice

He asked me to stop Ragi for now (the other pedi recommended this as my Pedi was out of station for the last 2 months)

The question here is i read some of the ILs mentioned Rice would constipate...since LO is now on loose stools, is it advisable to give rice kanji now? Also i am not keeping well since last friday and hence very low on supply..LO is always crying out of hunger....so want to try this...is it ok to give Nestum at night before he goes to bed?

Or which one do you recommend Nestum or Easum?

2. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Padmini

Dont worry...Problems do happen when we start givin solids to LO...everythin will turn normal...they just take some time to adjust...so plz dont worry

Ragi as per my Ped advice should be given after 7- 7.5 months.

Generally ragi not advisable to give babies at an earlier stage.My Ped had adviced me to feed Parboiled rice kanji.She said its ok to give them the kanji before she sleep

U can also refer the reply http://www.indusladies.com/forums/baby-kids-foods/92006-4-5months-old-baby-food-2.html#post1165119 given by me.This list was given by my Ped.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  3. charmingpooh

charmingpooh Bronze IL'ite

give applesauce to reduce the loose stools.i had the same problem with my DD earlier.

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

padmini, i did mention in one of the posts earlier to go slow on solids and rather wait till around 5 months or later.i learnt this with my daughter, hence suggested :)
    we started solids with zoey after 5 months and still struggled with the early few wks. post 6 months her digestion power is much much better and probably can even digest chicken if i give her now...

coming to the Q that u asked. yes ragi or for that matter any millet is considered heavy, but i wonder why this is a norm in south india that they give ragi to itty bitties, i always failed to und. we started ragi with DD at 5 months 3 wks and stopped it, planning to start again now.

for now i suggest best would be to go with fruit and veggie purees.wait on rice for a couple of more wks, thats wat i suggest. DD got pathetically constipated and didnt poop for 5 days :( but that was in her 5th month, now she eats rice almost everyday!

start with fruit purees: applesauce,banana mash.when the loose stool issue settles down give him pears,plums,peaches

give veggie purees like: sweetpotato, carrot,peas.

start with 1 at a time and continue in increasing amounts for 1 wk, then try another.
    post 5+ months mix these purees with nestum/easum and give.

for zoey in her 5th month we only did purees, later at 5 months 3 wks started easum...
    now at 6.5 months we are giving her
    khichdi with veggies,
    easum(mixed with 1 oz veggie puree),like peas/carrot/beans/pumpkin/squash
    cerelac at nights,
    ragi,
    puree of 1 fruit( pears,peaches,plums,applesauce,banana,sapota)

post 7 months i plan to start chicken stock with rice.

end of the day every baby is different, so a trial and error is wat we hv to do :)

Also, please avoid giving any sort of juices!they only lead to a sweet tooth and nothing else

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  5. swethakalyanee

swethakalyanee New IL'ite

Hi Padmini,

Rice Kanji + buttermilk will work for loose stools.
    When my DD suffered from Loose stools, I gave her home made rice kanji + butter milk.
    Cooked Rice is the best food to start with, coz its easily digestible. It will not constipate much.

But, Apple juice will cause constipation. So you can give him this just once a day.

Also give him pure luke warm water just to keep him hydrated.

As ur paed suggested, avoid Ragi till hes back to normal. ( I did the same )

You can go ahead with feeding Nestum, but I would suggest Home made rice kanji + butter milk at this time, coz it won't harm ur kid's stomach much. Also, Buttermilk will help to reduce the body heat acting as a coolant in this Hot summer.

6. Padminiramesh

Thanks swaran, charmingpooh, poonam nd swethakalyanee...
    Loose stools is kind of settling down nd gave him Nestum sterday night and he slept peacefully.
    Going to give him applesauce today....

Poonam,
    Thanks for ur inputs...so far i gave one spoon of ragi on alternate days and LO liked it a lot. I completely stopped Nan 10-12 days back, he didnt like that and didnt even had more than 20ml overall.....otherwise he is on BM only... Nestum seems to be fine with him, just tried one spoon....

7. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Padmini - I tend to agree with Poonam.
    Please start with veg/fruit purees and then move on to rice./ragi.
    I started with purees when DD was 5.5 and started rice/ragi when she was 6 mo. She has been having some problem with stomach & fever for the past 2 days and I have stopped ragi/rice. But I still give her veg purees which she is able to digest.
    In fact, I am wondering if she fell sick after I wanted to start an evening food. She was ok with 1 solid feed (lunch) a day. I am planning to wait for couple of more weeks (till she is 7mo) and then give 2 feeds.

Yes, ragi is considered heavy, but since DD didn't have any problems with it, I am giving it (only after 6 mo)

8. Padminiramesh

Thanks Ramya...
    Is it ok to start with sweet potato now? (you mean chakarai valli keazhangu in tamil rite)

9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

padmini yes u can give sweet potato... just steam it in ur steamer or pressure cooker, peel and puree well....
    alternately wat u can do is, say oince u know he is doing fine with one veggie/fruit, mix with 1 scoop easum/nestum.. and give.
    post 5 months u can do that, will make him fill full and happy :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

just one correction here,
    applesauce can constipate, but apple juice is supposed to cure constipation(and not constipate)

so if ur bub ever gets constipated give him applejuice /prune juice diluted .
    if he has runny stools, u can give carrots/applesauce/banana mash as they are binding foods.