Earth Hour: makes sense or nonsense?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sweetshreya, Mar 18, 2013.

1. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Earth hour is fast approaching... Its on 23rd march, from 8:30pm to 9:30pm. To inform briefly, it is an event where for above mentioned one hour, everyone (people as well as business) are encouraged to switch off their unneeded lights and other running electrical devices to save energy. The idea is to raise the awareness of energy and conservation, climate change, environment etc. So many of us does care about the environment and enthusiastically participate in this event, even if it is not compulsory.

So what is supposed to happen that hour? People will switch off their lights, use candles instead, street lights will be put off for an hour, businesses, corporate offices will switch off that eyes blinding and head aching glare of those ambiance lights; TV channels and and radio stations will stop the broadcast for an hour. It will all be dark, quite and peaceful. And there is so much to do also. Have candlelight dinner, take a walk, play hide and seek, or simply have a 'together time'. Just imagine the collective energy saved when billions of people stop using the electricity for an hour !! :wow

Ahem ... Do I sound sarcastic?? :hide:

Although it looks all so grand and overwhelming in a bigger scenario, there can also be so many criticisms against it. What does one earth hour means to those who face forced power cuts for hours everyday? Most of us are already used to switch off the unnecessary lights and gadgets, even if its for the selfish purpose of saving money on electricity bills. Do you feel earth hour is associated more with the first world problems? People in developed countries look forward to it so that they can have quite romantic evening, while in India, it may usually goes unnoticed. Do you think it would make difference if they have an hour every week or month instead of just once in a year? :coffee

So what do you think? Does it help or is it only a stunt? Pour in your thoughts.

Here is one interesting links:
    Debate: Earth Hour - Debatepedia

Whatever be your views fellas, don't forget to switch off your lights on 23rd March, 8:30 pm to 9:30pm.....:thumbsup

1 person likes this.

2. anjanag

anjanag Platinum IL'ite

I try to do this every year. my husband is not very cooperative, but my kids enjoy it :) Not sure if this is a stunt, but no harm in doing. its good to spend some time with the family without the distraction of TV! Also helps to create some awareness in kids. but of course, we shouldn't stop with one hour! Conserve natural resources whenever we can!

2 people like this.
  3. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Quite agree, Anjanag. It can be fun for the kids, as they are still learning about it & hence, can tell it proudly in the school. But its different with most adults, isn't it?

Anyways, kudos to you for following it. :) I did it last year, didn't know about it before then (because I was in India??) :hide: