Earth hour 2010- let us join in

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sushmasrivastav, Mar 12, 2010.

1. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

The Earth Hour 2010 will be celebrated on March 27, 2010 from 8.30 pm to 9.30 pm. This was announced by Mrs Shiela Dixit, Hon’ble Chief Minister of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Delhi</st1:City></st1:place> and Bollywood actor Abhishek Bachchan at a press conference on March 10, 2010. The event is supported by the World Wildlife Fund.
    Earth Hour 2009 was a big success with Resident Welfare Associations too joining in. It is reported that nearly 700 MW of power was saved during Earth Hour.
    The Govt of Delhi too is participating this year and all non essential lights in Delhi Govt offices would be put off during the earth hour.
    Let us all join in and participate in Earth Hour 2010.

2. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

I support Earth Hour 2010. Like Last year, this year too I would switch off all non essential lights during the Earth Hour 2010. In fact my DH has taken Abhishek's suggestion seriously and decided to go in for a candle night dinner.
    Even though Earth Hour is largely symbolic, as individuals, we too can adopt environmentally friendly measures each day all through the year. Little things like reusing paper to the largest extent, switching off tV from the mains very time you are shutting it down, pulling off the plug from the wall socket every time you have charged your mobile, switching to LED bulbs instead of incandescent bulbs ( even CFL bulbs have mercury and are harmful) and reusing water for the plants etc would help the environment.
    :cheers

3. MadhujaJ

MadhujaJ Senior IL'ite

The Earth Hour was a one-city initiative in 2007 and it grew to be a global phenomenon in 2009. Global icons like Eiffel Tower, the Great Pyramids, the Coliseum, Buckingham Palace, Beijing’s Olympic Stadium and Christ the Redeemer Statue and many more renowned landmarks had joined the global community in showing leadership on a resolution to climate change.

It is our responsibility to make this year’s Earth Hour a complete success. We can do our bit by shutting off computers if we are enjoying idle hours on Google Chat or Facebook. We can try to occupy as less rooms as possible during this time so that we can switch off the lights, fans and ACs of the unoccupied rooms.
    :idea

4. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

Madhuja, you are right. Some of the great metropolises of the world will “flick the switch” on their renowned landmarks, marking their commitment to sustainable development and joining their citizens in selecting low-carbon practices.
    Lights will dim on the signature London Eye as the Coca-Cola sign in Piccadilly Circus switches off. Hiroshima will become the first Japanese city to show its dedication to global climate action when the lights on its Peace Memorial will go out.

The actions exhibited by the cities and inhabitants of the world are pivotal to leading a low-carbon resolution to climate change, according to Andy Ridley, the Earth Hour Co-Founder and Executive Director.

:cool2:

5. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

Dear all,

The Earth Hour will indeed reach new heights this year. The three tallest buildings of the world, namely, the new Burj Khalifa in Dubai, Taipei 101 in Taiwan and CN Tower in Toronto will go dark for this international event.

My friends from all corners of the world say this list is growing with the Golden Gate Bridge, the Empire State Building, Mount Rushmore, Sydney Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Sydney Tower, Luna Park, Rialto Tower and even Las Vegas joining in.

Lets do our bit by abstaining ourself from unnecessary use of electricity on March 27, Saturday, from 8-30 pm to 9-30 pm.
    :goodidea:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  6. sweetsanjam

sweetsanjam Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I too will join Earth Hour 2010.
    Best wishes

7. Shabnam88

Shabnam88 New IL'ite

I participated last year and I hope to do my bit this year. I thank Indusladies for carrying this green message in its forum. Its indeed a useful vehicle to reach out to every concerned citizen.

8. Aparna77

Aparna77 Senior IL'ite

I am all for Earth Hour 2010 and will switch off all non essential lights in my house.

9. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

Hey, its good to see all of you joining in and thinking about making the Earth Hour 2010 a success!!:cheers

Chief Minister of Delhi, Sheila Dixit, and Bollywood actor Abhishek Bachhan launched the Earth Hour 2010 at a press conference organized at the WWF office in New Delhi.

Abhishek, as a concerned inhabitant of the planet, lit the “candle of hope” along with Sheila Dixit. He encouraged his countrymen to “switch on” their minds and showcase solidarity and dedication towards climate change and energy conservation by “switching off” lights for an hour. Sheila Ji and Abhishek were joined by Ravi Singh, CEO of WWF India, in this appeal.

10. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

Chief Minister Sheila Dixit, while gracing the occasion at the WWF office, said “Delhi was the lead city for Earth Hour 2009 when India joined this global campaign. Several historical buildings, office complexes, RWAs, shopping centers and hotels switched off in support, resulting in close to 600 MW power saving in Delhi alone.”
    She expressed her hope that Delhi along with other cities across India will take Earth Hour 2010 to newer heights by generating higher savings and sending a stong message both nationally and internationally. She stressed the need to shift to a sustainable and low carbon development path.

:thumbsup