Earning extra income for people outside India

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Rakhii, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My dear friend got married recently and relocated to US on H4 visa. This visa will not allow her to work until her husband gets green card. So in order for her to earn some cash, we were looking into some avenues and hit on something which i thought a few of you might be interested in. Mind you, it will not fetch you big money; just some $30-$50 a day max. if you are interested, below are a few ideas.

Dog walking: This is what my friend is doing right now and is earning $30 a day, 5 days a week.
    Its fairly simple concept. Many people who have dogs do not have time to walk them every day. Dogs need at least some sort of physical exercise. My friend put out a notice that she is willing to take the dog out for a walk everyday. She placed the ad in her apartment's notice board also posted a few ad's on mail boxes. She picks up 3 dogs from their homes and walks them for 1 hour everyday. Each dog=$10; $30 a day. If you get contract for more dogs, that is good for you. I know its not much, but this idea is not some kind of a scam. look around your neighborhood. I am sure you will be able to earn some money this way.

Bakery: She lives close to an amusement park. many fast food joints there need help in mixing the dough/cutting veggies etc. Since you will be working inside a kitchen, I doubt you will be asked for papers/documents etc. you will be paid bare-minimum but still, you will be paid.

just a few ideas about earning money ladies. I hope i didnt offend anyone. I know you are all educated but some times, we have to do some compromises when it comes to earning.

2. sreesailu

sreesailu New IL'ite

Thanks for the info Rakhi. About bakery, how should we approach them? , whom should we talk to? how should we tell that we need them to pay us by cash...can you please let me know.

i want something to do for these reasons- so i can help my hubby with anything i can, i am very shy bynature (hoping i would get rid of it by doing job where i meet and talk to people), to keep myself occupied.

thank you

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sailu, what my friend did was to approach the bakery people directly. She did not go to big joints like Mc Donaldas etc. She went to some local small coffee shops. Usually they are family businesses and are willing to take on new people at a lower hourly rate. What she did was wait for the right moment; as in, wait until there is no other customer in the bakery and approach the person who is behind the counter and ask him if he needs any help in the kitchen and that she is available to work for him for minimum wage. But the key is finding the small family run business. After looking out in some 20 shops, one of them agreed for my friend. She was in Orlando near Disney. Thats why she found 20 places to go. Depending on where you live, you might find luck too.

Good luck to you dear. I am sure working will help you overcome your shy nature.

4. sreesailu

sreesailu New IL'ite

Hi Rakhi,thanks for the reply.I shall try to find out if there is any possibility to do these kind of jobs in our area.