1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

DW's who want to retain their family last name after marriage to DH !!!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by trueloveseek, May 18, 2014.

1. trueloveseek

trueloveseek Senior IL'ite

IL folks,

I want to know if modern women are interested to retain their family last name after their marriage. Is this a sign of independence for modern women who have decided to retain their original family surname after marriage.

I have been researching this topic for sometime and found conflicting data in internet, news channels, blogs etc, hence the question on this forum.

PS: My DW has retained her Original Name and our both kids got just 5 character names[I named by son and she named our daughter] which satisfied her I believe. Does it bother me ? I don't know. hyphenating a name seems to me is a compromise just like politics of I am not a Leftist nor a Rightist ideology. Luckily my kids don't have hyphenated names and I am happy for them but still when somebody asks them what is their family name then it will be a blank stare from my kids.

2. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

what's wrong in it???:idontgetit:

3. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

I retain my family name my surname ....there are practical reasons for it ..

all my certificates ,my passport, my licence, my pancard,my ration card... everything tht i have as an identity proof are of my full name.... people identify me with my full name i had from birth....

i think its unfair and not necessary for a wife to change her surname just cause she got married.... does being married mean we change our identity of 25-28yrs for a guy we met a few months/days back... not fair...

Every individual need to have his/her identity as his/her choice ... Who wants to change can change who doesnot like to change noone can compel them to change....

*And OP what do you mean tht its a sign of independence for modern women to not change her surname to her hus name ........ i believe independence depends on women's mentality and attitude towards life and situations...and dealing with men who think women are Weak and dependent on Men....

12 people like this.
  4. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP, I too have retained my family name as surname mainly for the reasons explained by Rise above. All my ids, certificates bear that name and I don't feel the need to change my identity just because I got married. After wedding, my DH asked if I am planning to change my surname. I said no and he didn't mind and left it at that.

1 person likes this.
  5. JustLikeYou

JustLikeYou Gold IL'ite

Just curious, if you are so concerned about the blank stare of your kids about family name, would you mind changing your last name to your wife's last name? That would also mean you belong to the Same family. If you have objections then it means your wife may also have similar ones.

6 people like this.
  6. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

Old Indian practise (or practice?) is for the women to keep their maiden names. It is a modern/western idea of women changing their name to their husband's surname post marriage. Nothing wrong in keeping maiden name for a woman. Her choice.

3 people like this.
  7. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

what's in a name?

i have kept my maiden family name.

8. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

I've retained my parental/ maiden family name after marriage. Its there in ids, documents and on social networking also.

It never came from my husband if i want to change it! We both are happy to keep our individuality intact in our relation :)

2 people like this.
  9. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Whats so big deal about it!! I still have my parents maiden name with me and happily married for 9 years. My mom who is married for 33+ years still have not changed her name!!

10. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Perhaps you should have done some "field research"... many retain their maiden names.. my mom & most of my aunts who are career women never changed their maiden names..