During pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by goldenrose, Apr 15, 2010.

1. goldenrose

goldenrose Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Im 5 months now. I have tow doubts, please clarify ILs.

1. I use to keep laptop on my lap (i use pillow on top on my lap) and browse 5 hrs a day. . Can i do like this. Is really any harmful for my little kid.:confused2:

2When i brush in the morning i m getting bleeding( this is not normal bleeding or usual to me) from my teeth. This is because of my pregnancy, or i have any problem with my dental. But i dont have bad breath. Should i discuss this with my doctor (with my next visits)or i should meet a dentist.

2. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

Ya count me in for both the Issues,

I still have the laptop with heat pad always on my lap when browsing.... hhmmmm so dnt know if it harms the baby , but i always use pillow or heat pad so I dnt get hot or heat waves passing me.

I did have gum bleeding once, but my doc sd during pregnancy dental issues are common, because our defences become week or something like that ...
    Dr preethi can throw something light on that.

3. shrutidunwoody

shrutidunwoody Bronze IL'ite

I am also having bleeding from teeth occasionally . I have not even disscussed about it to the doctor. After reading your post just remembered. So if you have doubts just ask the doctor about it when you visit next.

4. vids

vids Senior IL'ite

ooh, count me in on the gum-bleeding - everyday!! from multiple points that too...my toothpaste foam is always red in color :-( having bloody nose as well even with use of humidifier (occasional)!! Guess its because of all the extra blood volume?
    I think Preethi can enlighten us...where is the good doc? :)

5. Sahanasri

Sahanasri New IL'ite

Hey ppl,

I have read in few sites that bleeding in gum during pregnancy is a common symptom..
    The inflamation in caused by higher progesterone levels that make your gums more sensitive to the bacteria in plaque and by increased blood supply to your mouth. [Courtesy: babycenter.com] ..

not sure abt the other symptoms thou..

Regards,
    Sahana

6. jils

jils Bronze IL'ite

Bleeding gums during pregnancy occur due the bacteria, (not the hormones), which cause the inflammation of gums which have become soft due to hormonal changes .

the main thing is to keep the teeth clean , like brushing twice daily to keep the teeth plaque free .

Skip the sweets , chocolates etc

Increase your intake of Vitamin C ( which strengthens gums ) with citrus fruits and green vegetables.

Increase your intake of Calcium through your diet with foods high in Calcium

7. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Here I am !!!! :hiya I got a news in the air that few of you were looking out for me ! :)

Goldenrose,

The heat due to the laptop is indeed a lot.. Since you use a pillow, I assume it is alright. Still, how about keeping it on the table ??

The bleeding gums is because of existing gum condition aggrevated by pregnancy hormones. It is not just bacteria.. Else, it wouldnt pop up suddenly during pregnancy, isnt ? :)

It is a perk in the second trimester.. ;)

You need to get a proffessional cleaning done.. which will help a lott. Just avoid Xrays ( the dentist wouldnt take them too, when you tell you are pregnant ).. Dental treatment is quite safe in the second trimester.

Cleaning teeth will help get rid of the bacteria and thus minimise bleeding. But, if you still gag when you brush your back teeth, there are chances that you going to throw up when they clean your back teeth. So make sure of that symptom.

Also, cleaning of teeth is encouraged during second trimester because the plaque accumulation or the gum disease that is present already and is aggrevated by hormones, could lead to pre-term labour. Not necessarily. But, yes there is evidence. So, before you get into your 7th month, get a cleaning done.

Nothing alarming about bleeding from gums.. It will disappear once your labour is done. :)

Take care.

8. archanasirsi

archanasirsi New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

This is a piece of info I would like to share for those who are suffering from excessive nose bleeds during pregnancy. I used to have heavy nose bleeds every alternate day,(I am in 5th month of preg)..My doc suggested that there will be vitamin C deficiency during this period.. so she advised me to take citrus juices(moosambi,lemon..)everyday.Believe me nose bleeds are all gone!!! you can try this out..since it is harmless and doesnt cause any side-effect,even if there is no vit C deficiency.:)

Cheers,
    Archana

9. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

bleeding gums and nose bleeds ARE VERY VERY COMMON in pregnancy .. just google it..

10. goldenrose

goldenrose Senior IL'ite

Thank you Dr. Preethi, I was expecting your reply. You are lady superstar in ILs. whenever we need some info, you will appear and giving right answer in right place. Good Keep it up. I though you have taken off for your maternity leave :) from ILs. I thought im the only one who is expecting answers from you. Good you got so many ppl are there.

Thank you all whoever replied and advised me.