DU Admission - Open Day Programme

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by BandanaSen, May 26, 2009.

1. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Like in previous years, this year too, the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:placeName w:st="on">Delhi</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">University</st1:placeType> has started organizing Open Day programmes to guide new comers regarding courses available, career choices, how to apply and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Delhi</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">University</st1:placeType></st1:place> admission procedures including the ICR forms.
    The first Open Day programme was organized at <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Sri Guru</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Teg</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Bahadur</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Khalsa</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">College</st1:placeType></st1:place> on 24 May 2009 and was very well attended.
    Following is the schedule of Open Day programme :
    May 26 : Deen Dayal <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Upadhyaya</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">College</st1:placeType></st1:place>
    May 27 : <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Shyam</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Lal</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">College</st1:placeType></st1:place>
    May 28 & 29 : S.P.Jain Centre, South Campus
    May 30 : Keshav Mahavidyalaya
    May 31 : <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Vivekananda</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">College</st1:placeType></st1:place>
    June 3 : <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Acharya</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Narendra</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Dev</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">College</st1:placeType></st1:place>.

Best of Luck to all DU aspirants.

2. sweetsanjam

sweetsanjam Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the information.
    Since I stay in South Delhi, I will try and attend the Open Day programme at Acharya Narendra Dev College or South Campus.
    I am interested in B.A.(English) Hons program at a good South Campus or North Campus college. I hear there is going to be a Common Admission Test for B.A.(English) Hons this year. Is it valid at St.Stephens and Hindu College in North Campus? Do let me know. Thanks for your help

3. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Hello Sanjam
    It is nice to know that you are joining <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Delhi</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">University</st1:placeType></st1:place> this year.
    B.A.(English) Hons is a very popular course in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Delhi</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">University</st1:placeType></st1:place>. In recent years it is has become a sought after course primarily because of the many exciting career option like media, advertising and academics.

The Common Admission Test for English will be accepted by <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Hindu</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">College</st1:placeType></st1:place> while St Stephens has its own admission criteria. Other colleges accepting the CATE include the
    Lady Shri Ram, Kirori Mal, Ramjas, Hans Raj, Miranda House, Gargi, Sri Ventakeswara.

There is a lot difference between the way English is taught at the +2 level and the BA (Hons) English. Today, the course focuses on International literature including African writing as well as Indian writing in English.

Let us hope you get into a college of your choice. Do let me know if you have any other queries.

4. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sanjam Negi
    The CATE forms will be available from Room number 52 of Arts Faculty, North Campus and the last date of submission of the forms will be 15 June 2009.
    The Combined Aptitude Test for English will be held on June 17 at the following four centres:
    1.Arts Faculty, North Campus
    2.Arts Faculty, South Campus
    3.Zakir Husain College
    4.Maharaja Agrasen College
    Like the OMR forms for the other courses, at Delhi University it is sufficient to just fill up one form for any of the 12 participating colleges like Hindu College or Indraprastha College.
    Best of luck for your CATE test.

5. NitiSaini

NitiSaini Senior IL'ite

Hello, Bandana
    I read your piece on CATE. It was quite informative. I have a small query.
    My niece is studying in Delhi and is interested in studying B.Pharmacy. Do you know of a good college in Delhi and the admission requirements for the same. Will Delhi University's OMR form be acceptable or does she have to apply separately to the College.
    The College should preferably decent have hostel accomodation for girls.My niece has scored above 89% in Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
    Regards

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  6. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Dear Niti

As far as I know, within Delhi B.Pharmacy course is available in Jamia Hamdard, Maharaja Surajmal Institute in Janakpuri and the Delhi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research (DIPSAR) formerly known as <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">College</st1:placeType> of <st1:placeName w:st="on">Pharmacy</st1:placeName></st1:place>.

DIPSAR is located at Pushp Vihar Sec III, <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Mehrauli-Badarpur Road</st1:address></st1:Street>, Opp. Sainik Farm New Delhi -110017. Admission to B.Pharmacy and D.Pharmacy course in DIPSAR is based on the Class XII marks. It has separate hostels for girls and boys.

Prospectus and admission forms will be available from 9-10<SUP>th</SUP> June, 2009 till 7<SUP>th</SUP> July,2009. <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Delhi</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">University</st1:placeType></st1:place>’s OMR forms will not be accepted. When you apply for admission, you need to enclose your Class XII marksheet, Class X certificate besides the caste or physically handicapped certificate if applicable.

You can get further details from the website www.dipsar.in

7. mallika22

mallika22 New IL'ite

I am interested in Maths Hons. I have studied Humanities in Class XII. Is it true that Delhi University has discontinued BA(Maths) Hons ?

8. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Hello Mallika
    Yes, it is true that from this year onwards, Delhi University is going to award B.Sc (maths) Hons degree.
    For students belonging to Humanities background, there are subjects like History while for students with a Science background, there will be practicals in Physics and Chemistry.
    The step allows Humanities students to qualify for a B.Sc degree. Some colleges which offer Maths (Hons) in Delhi University are Hindu College, Ramjas College, Jesus & Mary College, and Shyama Prasad Mukherjee College.
    Best of luck, Mallika.

9. shefalisingh

shefalisingh Senior IL'ite

Dear Bandana
    This has reference to your reply on DIPSAR- pharmacy courses? What is the length of the B.Pharmacy course? Can we get admission in DIPSAR via the AIEEE? Is DIPSAR a govt. run institution?

10. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shefali
    DIPSAR is fully supported by the Govt of NCT of Delhi ( Govt of Delhi).The duration of B.Pharmacy course is 4 years and the duration of Diploma course is 2 years. Besides, DIPSAR also offers M.Pharmacy in Pharmacology, Pharmaceutics, Hospital Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmacy Management etc.
    It is not possible to get admission in DIPSAR through the AIEEE.Admission is strictly on merit.
    Do write in if you have any further questions.
    -Bandana