1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

DS not walking yet

Discussion in 'Infants' started by asha_karthik, Jul 5, 2010.

1. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

Thank you PV.. helps a lot ! looks like we have a mommys group here waiting for their LO's first steps. good luck to all !

2. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Asha,

I am not a pro here but even DS refused to walk until 3 weeks ago. He has been cruising around the furniture since he was 8 months old..When I used to hold his hand and make him walk he used to instantly refuse sit down and crawl..

Since we have carpet at home, I tried the walking thing on the driveway which has concrete. He instantly held my hands and started walking..After doing that for about 2 weeks, he took his independent steps and ever since he has been taking 6-8 steps on his own...He still prefers to crawl though.

What I am trying to say is, may be a different surface could help? Instead of the flooring at home, try other surfaces like grass, concrete etc. Don't put any footwear..

My Paed always says that "LO's will do things whevever they are ready. We are just there to create a medium for them to learn"...So don't worry..

Before you realise, he will surprise you :)

BTW, I am not sure if tripling the birth weight by one year applies to every baby or not...Atleast that's what my Paed says..Because DS was born 10.5 pounds and there is no way he can triple the birth weight by 1 year. He just doubled his birth weight...

To increase your LO's weight you can try Avocado. I am not sure if it is available in India..If it is, I strongly suggest you feed him that...It is very good source of fat..Egg is a good source too..

Don't worry and enjoy your LO.

3. asha_karthik

thank you sudha.. your idea of changing the walking surface makes sense. this guy seems to have these texture sensitivity otherwise also. he would go up and down the bed, but never with our new bean bag. he started touching it after initial hesitation.

Avocado.. india moms help?
    Egg.. i need to start; like i said earlier, i am going slow only coz of his wheeze issue. walking later is easier compared to manage repeat wheeze. any other suggestions on food pls??

4. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Asha , Sathumaavu is one great source of energy for kids.Try this.This will provide instant energy also to kids.Add badam and Pista also while feeding them.

5. aparnareplies

aparnareplies New IL'ite

Asha

Don worry...every child is different...
    my cousin's daughter is 17 months old...she started walking only in her 15th month...she started to sit on her own only after 10 months which usually happens in 6 months...

6. asha_karthik

Bhuvana, Aparna - thank you..

Bhuv - yes, sathumaavu is the next; and planning egg also next week. lets see.

7. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Asha, my neighbour's child 1.1yr old is also on a lower percentile, her paed suggested idli as breakfast, with dhal rasam or dhal as such. This rice+urad+moong combo helps to gain weight faster. So is dalia+moong+veggie combo itseems. Sathumaavu - they make a porridge and give their LO in the evenings. Or they make puttu, serve it with banana in the mornings.

8. asha_karthik

pon..
    rice/urad or moong dhal is there in his daily food. dahlia not so frequent, but once in 3 days or so. sathumaavu shd start soon. thank you !

9. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Asha,

sorry to hijack your thread..But what is this "Saathu Maavu"...I have read it so many times in IL that now I am curious..

How to make this "Saathu Maavu"??

10. asha_karthik

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010