1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

DS not walking yet

Discussion in 'Infants' started by asha_karthik, Jul 5, 2010.

1. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

thank you payal and ramya.. even dd walked 3 days after her 1st birthday. this guy has got another 10 days to hit this date. its only when i see his weak legs that i start getting concerned. just an hour back, there was another mother in his creche who held his leg and commented that its looking weak (weaker than her 7 month old premie - she is true - it at least looks so).

hey payal.. i liked your dentist's remark :)

2. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

Hi Asha

My DS is 1.1 years now. He too hasnt started walking.
    He stands for a minute without hold.
    But whenever he finds a grip to hold, he would like to make use of it always and stands. He then leaves his hands himself trying to stand alone.

Very rarely he tries to take a step. Once he takes a step, he would sit.
    As u said,my DS is also very fond of crawling. Its so difficult to run behind him.:spin

Though, he's 10kg now and looks quite normal, he hasnt started walking and hasnt started speaking too [expect for Thatha, Avva(paati), Appa and only when he cries he says Amma]. Otherwise, he would speak his own language :)

I am also worried.:hide:
    Friends, is it quite normal for his age and weight?
    Please suggest...

~MahiSree

3. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Hi Asha,

Not to worry. Mine too turned one last week, hardly walks. He too didn't hit his 3 times target birth weight. The experience has been very different with the three of them ranging from 11 months to 14 months when they start walking. Mine crawls with his hands and feet sometimes and sometimes with the knees. But seems to enjoy both.

We have started to hold his hands and walk for a while, not sure if it works but he seems to enjoy it and also kneel down in front of him a few steps away and encourage him to walk.

Right now , I'm only trying to concentrate on his weight gain he is 2 kgs behind , the other milestones will follow I guess. I would wait for another 2-3 months before cosidering going to the pead.

regards,

4. asha_karthik

Mahisree - talking at this age is just fine with your baby. they only do so much. going by what ladies have replied, your kid could start walking anytime now that he is standing unsupported for a few seconds and tries to take a step.

Ilite - Trying to walk holding others hands is onething. DS never does that.. he gets scared when he is made to walk even if its me who is holding him. btw, what measures have you taken to increase his weight and reach the 3x birth weight target? anything that can be shared? DS is 2 kgs behind too.

5. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Asha , Please give him some more time.Also give him healthy food .Keep his favorite things above the sofa or chair so that he can hold the sofa or chair to try to get things by himself.

One of my husband's collegue's daughter started standing by herself after she was 1.3 years.Her mom was cribbing that she does not even attempt to get up and she is not able to.They had come to our house for dinner and my DD kept her toy on the sofa handle so that she will not take it.But you know what this kid tried to take and we were all watching her get up and get the toy.It was the first time she got up and it was wonderful watching her do that.Her mom & dad were full of tears.Now she just runs and it is difficult to hold her:rotfl.Another big problem for her mom.:)

Give him some more time.

6. asha_karthik

Bhuvana - good to hear that from you. well like i said bhuvana, he can very well stand up holding a sofa or table (we can't even keep things on dining table coz he stands up holding the table's legs and manages to somehow pull them down) or anything else where he can have that grip. but never a flat vertical surface like wall. he needs that structure to hold without which he finds it too hard for his legs to support his weight. he sometimes uses his mouth as another hand.. means, he holds his one hand on top of the sofa, his other hand on the object he targets, and the sofa cushion inbetween his teeth (gums) and then gets up.
    thank you !! i ll wait before i worry further. :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  7. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Did your DS ever fall recently due to which he feels insecure?

I'm trying to give him as much rice and wheat as possible as per pead's advice. My food schedule for him now:

5:00 180 ml formula
    7:30 b/f - oatmeal and 'sattu mavu' with apple and pear or pongal, cheese
    8:00 180 ml formula
    10:00 egg (whole egg)
    12:00 lunch- rice and chicken or meat and veggies(mostly carrots, beans, potatoes), Apple juice
    2:00 - 180 ml formula
    6:00 - rice or wheat with whatever we make for dinner
    6:30-7:00 - 180 ml formula
    sleeps till 5 in the morning

I don't follow strict quantities , feed him till he refuses (my instructions to the baby sitter as well) He seems to have gained some weight since the last appointment (around 10 days ago)

Also, try to add olive oil in the food while feeding him (not while cooking)

8. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

hi Asha

Compared to his birthweight , he's fine with 3x his BW.
    I was feeding him only with my milk till 6 months. Later till 10 months, the no. of times me feeding him reduced and stopped by 10th month as i introduced rice, idly, dal, soup, kanji(Sometimes) in between.

Now too, for his weight, he looks puny only.
    Also, dont give walker to ur DS now. My paed asked me to stop putting my DS in walker as it may bend knee bones if they're not strong enough.
    He asked me to hold Ds's hands and make him try to take steps.

Coming to ur DS, do massage to his legs, feed him with soup, multi-grain kanji, dal which is high in protein. (Hope u r already providing him)

Dont worry ma.

~MahiSree

9. asha_karthik

Ilite and mahisree
    thank you for your food related inputs.
    with dd, i introduced food with the typical wait and watch rule, and she responded reasonably ok. but with DS, i develop a good food routine, he falls sick and i revisit the last introduced food.. trial and error, i stop one of them. so i have made a mess of it.

just that right now all the food that i give him suits him sure. am scared to introduce new foods coz of his wheeze since we haven't yet figured out the underlying culprit. so am going slow still with food introduction. but wheat and rice are introduced and going good. there was some tummy problem he developed when wheat was first introduced; so i dont give it everyday. now that he has grown i can go faster, but something is stopping me from doing that. haven't tried olive oil yet.. let me try.

ilite - DS does fall down quite often, but no major falls at all. he hasn't stopped playing near the sofa and dining where most of his falls have happened. with a flat surface, he SIMPLY refuses to attempt. even now in the creche i tried and he forcefully got out of my hold, started crawling away from me. :)

10. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

Asha,

I think there is nothing to worry..DS turns an year old this month end..he also does just waht your son does now..gets up holding somewhere and walks from one end to the other end holding the sofa...other than that, even if i try to hold his hands and try to make him walk, he keeps just 2-3 steps and sits there..he likes to crawl..i think, right now he is able to move anywhere by crawling and may be he not thinking walking as something necessary:)..he got his lower teeth just a week before..as you said, if you can see his teeth under the gum, it is going to pop out soon..